My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I purchased a new 2020 Jeep Compass Sport six speed manual from a Jeep dealer back in October of 2020. I now have first 3000 miles on the car and I watch the oil dipstick regularly due to many complaints from several owners on excessive oil consumption. I now notice the oil level is running down about 3/4 of a quart. My question is - would other 2nd Generation Compass owners who are knowledgeable on this topic consider 3/4 of a quart excessive oil consumption at 3000 miles? Please weigh in on this - I know it probably has been worse for some owners.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi All - I purchased a new 2020 Jeep Compass Sport six speed manual from a Jeep dealer back in October of 2020. I now have first 3000 miles on the car and I watch the oil dipstick regularly due to many complaints from several owners on excessive oil consumption. I now notice the oil level is running down about 3/4 of a quart. My question is - would other 2nd Generation Compass owners who are knowledgeable on this topic consider 3/4 of a quart excessive oil consumption at 3000 miles? Please weigh in on this - I know it probably has been worse for some owners.
Not excessive for an engine that's still breaking in. Could take 5-6K miles to settle down. Also there haven't been that many reports of oil consumption on 2019 and up model years.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I own a 2018 manual sport. I have no oil consumption problems and can't recall reading (here) about any oil consumption problems unless they have a 9 speed auto.

Was it full at delivery, have you changed the oil, do you use the recommend oil?

I understand that transmissions should not create / add to excessive engine oil consumption.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good luck and document everything. Mine burned all the oil in the crankcase before the 1st oil change at 2500 miles and proceeded to consume copious amounts until I just got tired of keeping a case of oil in the hatch to fill it up every time I filled the gas tank up.

*Denote: Didn't drive more than 150-200 miles a week when i owned the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
Good luck and document everything. Mine burned all the oil in the crankcase before the 1st oil change at 2500 miles and proceeded to consume copious amounts until I just got tired of keeping a case of oil in the hatch to fill it up every time I filled the gas tank up.

*Denote: Didn't drive more than 150-200 miles a week when i owned the car.
It seems that drivers who made short hops had a greater problem than people like me that spent a lot of time on the highway. Mine did improve, but it got totaled before I could see a long-term trend.

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
Good luck and document everything.
Always good advice. Dealers and most independent shops keep records, too. Stay on good terms and they can be a real asset. I had a couple problem vehicles (GM) back in the 1980s and my dealer went to bat for me and got me compensation long after my warranty had expired.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Its good that you are monitoring it, definitely track and write down any change in readings and any amounts you have to add, but beyond that not much reason to worry yet. As others said it might settle down as the engine wears in fully, depending on who you ask you will get allegations anywhere from "theres no such thing as break-in periods on modern motors" to "These motors aren't broken-in until 15-20k miles". Don't know where the truth lies honestly, but as long as you are watching it you aren't going to be one of these people who have it shut down on them in the middle of a highway.

I like to carry a full quart jug in that nice pocket on the right-hand side of the cargo area. The pocket keeps the bottle upright so it can't really spill.

I think overall they just about have that issue licked with the latest updates and research Jeep has apparently done on the problem. Supposedly they narrowed it down that for most people the heart of the issue was the multi-air variable intake system keeping the intake valves closed too much on deceleration, creating massive vacuum in the cylinders causing bits of oil to be pulled past the rings and burnt up. Their software update allegedly tweaks that scenario to keep the intake valves open a crack and negate that issue. Not saying other people don't have different problems causing them to burn excessive oil, just that this was supposed to be the main issue for most and that they can in-fact help it with the software update.

Your dealer should be able to tell you if the update has been done on yours, but beyond that since the motor is still so low on miles I wouldn't begrudge it a few ounces for the first few thousand miles.

If you believe in engine break-in period, specifically piston rings wearing into the shiny new walls of those cylinders to seat and make a good life-long seal, then maybe consider reading up on old-school thought on breaking-in piston rings with moderate loads. I don't have any proof but personally I like to believe that some moderate 1500-2000 lb towing I did early in my engine's life may have helped my rings seat well in my engine. I have 53k miles on it now and it barely, barely sips oil between oil changes (as its intended to do). I get good fuel mileage and good power. Haven't had the update yet but I'll get around to it, just for good measure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts