My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey are y’all? I’m new to this Jeep family I had an 05 Silverado and switch to a 2020 Jeep Compass Latitude. I’m needing some help on audio things. The Radio inside of the Jeep is a 7” Uconnect, I was wondering if I can put my subs and amps in this new Compass I had from my truck? What do I need to connect to the Uconnect radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I haven't done this on my Compass but I would guess the path of least resistance would be to tap off the wires to the rear door speakers and run them to the high-level inputs on your amp. I'm pretty sure there are no RCA outputs on the factory radio.

Then as far as powering the amp goes you can always do the traditional heavy-gauge cord from the big battery in the front but there is already a 40-amp circuit ran to the back from the factory with a rear fuse block and a good chance of being able to tap a modest draw there, so I hypothesize that a person could install a rear battery to power an amp or inverter or similar high-draw accessories and get a charge circuit tapped off the rear fuse block if you keep the draw down around 10-amp or less. That would be a much more advanced route to go though and if you are here asking, then that route is probably not for you.

Likely you will find a key-on wire in that rear fuse block somewhere though which could be the easy way to turn the amp on instead of trying to find a key-on wire under the dash and running it all the way back.

So, heavy power wire from the larger front battery and signal wires from the rear speakers should be all you need to run. Find the key-on hot wire in the rear fuse block to turn the amp on and it should be a done deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't done this on my Compass but I would guess the path of least resistance would be to tap off the wires to the rear door speakers and run them to the high-level inputs on your amp. I'm pretty sure there are no RCA outputs on the factory radio.

Then as far as powering the amp goes you can always do the traditional heavy-gauge cord from the big battery in the front but there is already a 40-amp circuit ran to the back from the factory with a rear fuse block and a good chance of being able to tap a modest draw there, so I hypothesize that a person could install a rear battery to power an amp or inverter or similar high-draw accessories and get a charge circuit tapped off the rear fuse block if you keep the draw down around 10-amp or less. That would be a much more advanced route to go though and if you are here asking, then that route is probably not for you.

Likely you will find a key-on wire in that rear fuse block somewhere though which could be the easy way to turn the amp on instead of trying to find a key-on wire under the dash and running it all the way back.

So, heavy power wire from the larger front battery and signal wires from the rear speakers should be all you need to run. Find the key-on hot wire in the rear fuse block to turn the amp on and it should be a done deal.
I really appreciate the info!!!! Yeah I hate the speakers in this Jeep they don’t really sound good to me.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'm very happy with the speakers in mine but they only seem to be optimized for siriusXM radio. Over android auto its quieter (have to use 5 more units of volume for a comparable output) and the equalizer doesn't apply to android auto so its a bit flatter-sounding than SXM with a couple of good EQ tweaks. I got a better phone recently with some EQ options that improved the low-end response on android auto but still takes much more cranking of the volume knob to hear it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found that I can put subs in with a T Harness and that will run the RCAs to the back. I don’t think my compass has an amp.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Please keep us updated on how things go with this. I am in agreement with you on not liking the stock speakers, but I am spoiled. I'm definitely going to swap out the stock speakers for some component speakers - either JBL or Infinity. Definitely going to be adding a subwoofer of some sort. It's just been either too cold or raining for me to explore and take apart things in my 2019 Compass to do the necessary reconaisence to determine what route I am going to take with things.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I still need to figure out what exactly is in my Jeep right now but I am thinking of going with something like this from PAC to add an outboard amp for the speakers and subwoofer.

PAC adapter

·
Registered
93 Posts
I may go this route though and swap the Uconnect out. Looks like they make one to work with all of the different years of the Compass that have been made. Click on the third one down.

Smarty-trend head unit

I need to get pictures of the back of the stock head unit and the dash first. Then I'll have to email those to Smarty-trend so they can verify compatibility. It appears they custom program the unit for each vehicle although I am sure there is more to it than plug and play.

This may be a good alternative for those who want to add a navigation system. I'm considering it for the true Android smart device experience and the line out connections. It would also be great to be able to use the screen to integrate with the 4 camera mdvr system I am adding instead of having another screen on the dash. Here is the link to that system I have on the way.

4 camera mdvr

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I know what you mean on the rain. I will try to stop by somewhere today and ask what options do I have or what will I need done the road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I may go this route though and swap the Uconnect out. Looks like they make one to work with all of the different years of the Compass that have been made. Click on the third one down.

Smarty-trend head unit

I need to get pictures of the back of the stock head unit and the dash first. Then I'll have to email those to Smarty-trend so they can verify compatibility. It appears they custom program the unit for each vehicle although I am sure there is more to it than plug and play.

This may be a good alternative for those who want to add a navigation system. I'm considering it for the true Android smart device experience and the line out connections. It would also be great to be able to use the screen to integrate with the 4 camera mdvr system I am adding instead of having another screen on the dash. Here is the link to that system I have on the way.

4 camera mdvr
Do you know if all compasses come with amps??? Where would I we located on my 2020 latitude compass??

·
Registered
93 Posts
As much as I have learned so far is only ones that have the 9 speaker upgraded stereo system or the Beats premium system have a factory amplifier. Both of those also apparently have a factory subwoofer as part of the system.

I was looking at the stock replacement speakers and from the pictures they are still the typical stock speakers. Reminds me of my 1999 Dodge Dakota I ordered with the "top-of-line" Infinity system. Although it was a step up from the base system, it was a joke. The speakers were same paper cones as all of the other stock speakers with Infinity printed on the tiny magnets. Nothing even close to what you think of when you think of Infinity component speakers. The only thing really better was the head unit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Unsure of the 2020 but probably the same as the 2019.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts