My Jeep Compass Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I was looking into some line output converter to run a sub but they all seem to be for lower rated speakers. I have a sub and amp running around 600w. I feel like these converters are going to greatly limit them. Is there any other ways around this?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
This thread is getting painful to watch, but everyone starts somewhere. I remember fumbling around with failed speaker projects in my first handful of cars, its the only way you learn anything but its odd to see this type of thing going on with expensive, brand new cars. Screwing around (and screwing up) with your first beater car where you got it with crap wore-out speakers is one thing, you guys are talking about butchering brand new, perfectly good-working factory systems and I just don't understand why. I don't have the beats package yet my speakers rail hard and strong from the bass to the top, vibrates the whole car. Are you really sure you don't just need some EQ tuning done? Couldn't that money and time be better spent maybe going on some nice dates? ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This thread is getting painful to watch, but everyone starts somewhere. I remember fumbling around with failed speaker projects in my first handful of cars, its the only way you learn anything but its odd to see this type of thing going on with expensive, brand new cars. Screwing around (and screwing up) with your first beater car where you got it with crap wore-out speakers is one thing, you guys are talking about butchering brand new, perfectly good-working factory systems and I just don't understand why. I don't have the beats package yet my speakers rail hard and strong from the bass to the top, vibrates the whole car. Are you really sure you don't just need some EQ tuning done? Couldn't that money and time be better spent maybe going on some nice dates? ?
I have the stock speakers, all I want to do is add a sub. I have done it to plenty of cars just nothing this new that doesn't have rca outputs

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Cjemiolo said:
So I was looking into some line output converter to run a sub but they all seem to be for lower rated speakers. I have a sub and amp running around 600w. I feel like these converters are going to greatly limit them. Is there any other ways around this?
That doesn't make any sense, a signal converter only converts the signal, say from high to low, you still feed that into an amp, it doesn't "limit" anything. What actual product are you talking about?

Cjemiolo said:
I have the stock speakers, all I want to do is add a sub. I have done it to plenty of cars just nothing this new that doesn't have rca outputs
Does your amp not have high-level inputs? Like I said at the beginning of the thread just tap a pair of wires onto the terminals of the rear speakers and route them back to the high-level inputs on the amp and call it a day. Unless your amp doesn't have high input (I've never seen one that didn't, but I suppose they exist) then there is no need for any kind of converter or T-harness or any of that garbage.

If it only has RCA inputs then a converter (from the high signal to low) is your only option but I'd sooner spend the money on a better amp with the high-level input option, personally. You can put the converter right at the amp. There is nothing you should have to take the dash apart for this job the radio already sends audio signal all the way to the rear speakers which are halfway home, but you can hook on in the front behind the radio that just sounds like more work to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This thread is getting painful to watch, but everyone starts somewhere. I remember fumbling around with failed speaker projects in my first handful of cars, its the only way you learn anything but its odd to see this type of thing going on with expensive, brand new cars. Screwing around (and screwing up) with your first beater car where you got it with crap wore-out speakers is one thing, you guys are talking about butchering brand new, perfectly good-working factory systems and I just don't understand why. I don't have the beats package yet my speakers rail hard and strong from the bass to the top, vibrates the whole car. Are you really sure you don't just need some EQ tuning done? Couldn't that money and time be better spent maybe going on some nice dates?
I’ve had junk cars but I know more on the mechanics of Diesel engines a lot of my junk cars had better speakers then this, so I never did anything with wiring speakers or all the install. I just want a cleaner sound and bass. Eventually I would want to change out all speakers to better speakers. I wouldn’t want to go on a nice date with the girls ears bleeding from horrible speakers . The factory speakers are garbage I love my music but not on how it sounds now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
That doesn't make any sense, a signal converter only converts the signal, say from high to low, you still feed that into an amp, it doesn't "limit" anything. What actual product are you talking about?

Does your amp not have high-level inputs? Like I said at the beginning of the thread just tap a pair of wires onto the terminals of the rear speakers and route them back to the high-level inputs on the amp and call it a day. Unless your amp doesn't have high input (I've never seen one that didn't, but I suppose they exist) then there is no need for any kind of converter or T-harness or any of that garbage.

If it only has RCA inputs then a converter (from the high signal to low) is your only option but I'd sooner spend the money on a better amp with the high-level input option, personally. You can put the converter right at the amp. There is nothing you should have to take the dash apart for this job the radio already sends audio signal all the way to the rear speakers which are halfway home, but you can hook on in the front behind the radio that just sounds like more work to me.
The amp I have is a kicker Dx series I'll have to look in to see if it has the high level inputs.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Mondo0928 said:
Eventually I would want to change out all speakers to better speakers.
I get what you are saying, I've said similar things myself many years ago, but since then I've come to understand that there is a very delicate engineered balance going on here and very rarely can you ever swap just one part and net an improvement, usually you go backwards.

For example, do you understand about speaker impedance? And why it matters? You can swap in some high quality, highly rated speakers but connected straight to a stock head unit and without checking that your new ones match the old you can end up with crap sound and/or damage something. So fine you match the impedance when you buy speakers, no big deal right? But are you sure the speakers were truly the weak link or is the signal from the head unit just not that good? The best most expensive speakers in the world can't do anything about bad input they get from a stock head unit. If you give a mouse a cookie you'd better be prepared to go the full mile or else you are probably just wasting time and money, is what I'm saying.

And as a side note, I can't speak for all gals of the world but in my experience none of them give a hoot about subwoofers and loud stereos. Its almost entirely an all male "look at me" thing that only your fellow bros are going to notice. Why do brosefs put weed-whacker-sounding mufflers on their cars? To try to get attention, and news flash, it doesn't work they way they hope it will. Its similar with subwoofers and stereos except that there is some legitimacy in wanting your music to sound good. Good is subjective but when you reach the point of purposefully setting off car alarms and rattling the windows of the neighborhood you are back at weed-whacker-muffler douchebag land.

When I met my wife she was driving a VW Beetle with the stock radio, no aux input. I kid you not, she simply (and happily) played music through her damn crappy iphone speaker, muffled through her plastic case no less, and she was completely fine with that. Happy as all get out. That made my ears bleed, I'd avoid taking her car anywhere because it bothered me that we would not get to actually jam out on the road. Still worked out though.

So what am I blabbing on and on about? I'm saying just don't kid yourself about who you are messing with the radio and speakers for. Its purely for yourself. Also you probably don't understand enough about what you are messing with and will end up making it worse, but you will think it sounds better because you put the time and money into it. Nobody but you will actually care. While you are ripping apart doors and replacing perfectly good speakers or adding more speakers/woofers to a perfectly good car your rivals are probably out there taking your girl to an actual concert with speakers bigger and louder than yours will ever be :sneaky:

-----------------------

I still just don't get it. Clunker cars, it makes sense, but this car... did you guys not get the same speakers and radio I got? Is there something different in the Limited trim or when you have the 8.4" radio vs the others? I'm telling you my radio kicks hard and clear through all six speakers. I've had over a dozen cars and messed with the audio in half of them in hopes of making them as good as my Compass is from the factory. I've changed probably ten head units and who knows how many speakers and amps in my old clunker cars, I've had systems all the way up to a 2000 watt amp hooked up to dual 15 inch woofers with an auxiliary battery to power it all (yeah, it takes one to know one, thats how I now how pointless these types of pedestrian audio efforts are). I don't feel the need for any of that in the Compass, it sounds great.

Well whatever, its a free country and parts of messing with that stuff is kinda fun I just don't get why anyone would do it on this particular new car. But if I were going to, i'd tap off the speakers use high level inputs and call it good. Probably run a single sub in a sealed box and small amp that runs within a safe limit to pull power through the existing 40 amp rear power line because I'm getting a bit lazy to be running 2 gauge wire under or through a car anymore. Easy and cheap. The cherry on top would be quick connects for everything so I can toss out the sub box when I need more cargo room. Have fun fellas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I get what you are saying, I've said similar things myself many years ago, but since then I've come to understand that there is a very delicate engineered balance going on here and very rarely can you ever swap just one part and net an improvement, usually you go backwards.
Well if the limited sounds great I should have got that. The Latitude speakers are very crappy, I came from an 05 Chevy Silverado and those speakers sounded way better! My Jeep has the 7” radio head unit. The whole girl thing I can careless what any person thinks lol. My girl likes to drive the Jeep and loves to hear her music loud also, we both want to rock out with it not sounding poor lol. I mean isn’t that what we do we change things on the stuff we own if we don’t like it? It’s all learning in this world I just wanted to see what routes I can take but as of now the speakers stock for the Latitude trim suck unless it’s on XM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey are y’all? I’m new to this Jeep family I had an 05 Silverado and switch to a 2020 Jeep Compass Latitude. I’m needing some help on audio things. The Radio inside of the Jeep is a 7” Uconnect, I was wondering if I can put my subs and amps in this new Compass I had from my truck? What do I need to connect to the Uconnect radio?

I used the kicker 46KISLOC2 K series stereo line out converter 22.46 on Amazon, it’s made for newer cars and has a signal wire to turn the amp on. It gets wired into the back of the radio and has subwoofer aux plugins. Works amazingly!! I am currently running 2 JL audio w3-v2 subwoofers and an 800 watt jobless amp.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Attached are some pictures of the stock speaker from the front passenger door of my 2019 Compass Sport with basic 6 speaker system an 7" Uconnect. 6x9 coaxial 15 watt 4 ohm. Cloth surround with a painted cloth woofer cone that is so flimsy it flexes around a finger if you touch it. That would explain the muddy bass. Appears to be a paper wizzer cone for a tweeter. It's amazing that this stock stereo sounds as well as it does. The door cavity is sealed up pretty well though. I guess that is why so much low end.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I measured the depth of the front door speaker location. Looks to be 2 7/8" maximum bottom depth without hitting the window, so a 2 3/4" deep speaker should clear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just purchased a 2020 jeep compass with the 7" screen, is there a t-harness out yet for the 2020 for rca outputs? I can't seem to find anything for the 2020 compass only the 19 compass

·
Registered
2019 compass sport 4x4 6 speed manual
124 Posts
Just purchased a 2020 jeep compass with the 7" screen, is there a t-harness out yet for the 2020 for rca outputs? I can't seem to find anything for the 2020 compass only the 19 compass
Yea , I have one installed in my car. Look at the first page of this forum.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts