My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have complained about my brakes to the dealership so many times I lost count! They kept telling me it was the good ol' dirt from Tx and then that it was me!! They finally changed the brake pads and rotors after noticing they were glazed?! They got worse!! Now they won't touch the vehicle and only tell me they opened a STAR case! The problem only happens when I am backing out of my garage or driving into a drive-thru at slow speeds of under 2mph! The noise has become so embarrassing that I hate driving it! The brakes squeal so loud!!! I finally recorded the noise for them to hear since their mechanics can't seem to duplicate the noise.. wonder why? maybe bc the vehicle is still under warranty? anyways I will not ever buy another Jeep again!

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
Seems to me that your dealer is working with you. If they've opened a STAR case then they are taking your problem seriously and putting it out there in case some other dealer has encountered a similar problem and may have a solution. Enough star cases accumulate the corp will go to work on it. It means you've got a problem that they realize they can't fix -- after all, they're only mechanics, not gods.

As for the brakes glazing, that is not normal. Usually it points to hard use or abuse. If you're an average driver and not carrying heavy loads or dragging your brakes down hills, it could be you've got a brake dragging. Is your Compass pulling to one side? Is one wheel getting hot?

Yes, dirt can make brakes squeal. My 2008 Patriot had rear drums that squealed. My dealer declined to fix them. She said the next time they get dirty you're gonna say we didn't fix it. The squealing went away after a while, and came back after I got onto some muddy roads, and went away again after a while, and came back again . . .

Ever hear a late-80s Volvo come to a stop? Arguably among the best vehicles on the road, but the brakes sounded like chalk on a blackboard.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts