My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the Compass family and forum and I’m glad to be a part of it! Have a question regarding an upgrade to all terrain tires: I’m currently using the stock tires sized at 225/55R18. I’m wondering how big I can go without any rubbing. Looking to beef it up a bit. Everything with the vehicle is still stock.

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome! I haven't changed the tires on my TH, they're the stock 215/60/R17. I've read around the forum that 29" tires are about as big as you can go adding spacers. What trim Compass do you have?

·
Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
Hey guys, new to the Compass family and forum and I’m glad to be a part of it! Have a question regarding an upgrade to all terrain tires: I’m currently using the stock tires sized at 225/55R18. I’m wondering how big I can go without any rubbing. Looking to beef it up a bit. Everything with the vehicle is still stock.

Thanks!
I don't think you can go much over stock without mods. Notice how the rear tires are not centered in the fender opening. I've not altered my tire size, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that the rub would come in the rear before the front.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Yeah we've already discussed this a lot on this forum, the search should turn it up, just keep a lookout for talk about 1st gens vs 2nd gens as they are two totally different cars and the size/fitment info between them is different.

To rehash some of the top info I have picked up here:
This is a car platform that doesn't do well with tires much larger than stock. Your stock tires are already about 27.7 inches tall. 28s fit all day as long as you don't go too wide. No Compass can really run taller than a 29 inch tire and that tends to require wheel spacers, which are a sketchy taboo thing in the automotive world. A puck lift on this car doesn't make much difference in fitting larger tires, as the clearance issues have more to do with tire width and clearance of the strut towers.

Assuming you are trying to keep your stock rims, you should be able to bump one size and run a 235/55R18 (28.2x9.3), which is a little taller and wider than stock. It's probably technically possible to squeeze a 235/60R18 on there (29.1x9.3), but you are only going to be clearing by a few frog hairs and might even need 1 inch spacers depending on how the chosen tire's actual size matches its advertised size, gets a little dicey. Its not like a 1.5" lift wouldn't help a little it just won't help you as much as different rims with more offset would help get the sidewall away from the strut tower. You really need to stick your own head down there and look for yourself and see how close the front tires already are to the bottoms of the spring perches.

Jeep built this off a sister brand's car platform, they already way upped the tire size from the original car's design. This vehicle is more like a Subaru than an SUV. Larger, heavier tires hurt gas mileage, handling, braking, acceleration, increase wear & tear (especially on things like wheel bearings if you go the spacers route), if you do the lift you compromise the lifespan of your CV axle joints, there are a lot of downsides just because you bought a cheap little baby Jeep and now you want it to "look" like a bigger, tougher Jeep. You can force some big tires on there but its going to cost you the nice, cushy ride/handling that the Limited trim gives you.

Still, its a free country so if it makes you happy then why not. I'm just saying in my personal opinion, cramming big ugly tires on there is not worth it. I think the car should be enjoyed for what it is, since you can't turn it into something that it isn't. These things don't operate at Wrangler level. You have basic open differentials with piss-poor brakelock differential traction control, no low range, and a pretty weak motor (and no, before you ask, there are no meaningful performance upgrades out there for the motor either). These things decide the limits of where this car can go and what it can go through, much moreso than its ground clearance or the size of its tires. If you cram a 29 inch tire on there, and push it out with wheel spacers to give it that "stanced" look, you will fool the mom's and teenagers at the local supermall parking lot but you won't fool anybody with a real off-road vehicle, so just keep that in mind.

I think a set of Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail in the 235/55R18 size is probably your best bet. A little taller, a little wider, heavier of course but not enough to ruin performance all-out, shouldn't need any wheel spacers, really aggressive sidewall to give off the off-road "vibe" but the actual tread is designed knowing you are really going to be mostly on pavement with this tire, and its highway mannerisms should still be decent.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
What do you drive, btw?
I have one of the very first 2nd gens to roll out, 2017.5 Limited in billet silver (with black roof). Just turning over 55k miles on it now. It's holding up but it spent a lot of days in the shop early-on getting sorted out.

Of course it started with 225/55R18 tires on 18 inch rims, but I bought a set of like-new 17 inch Trailhawk rims and tires from a fellow on this forum here so for the last 25k miles I've been running the Trailhawk OEM 215/65R17 Falken Wildpeak H/T tires on it. Good traction with the Wildpeak H/T but less comfort and handling/cornering. Just like my original tires these ones are wearing out fast.

Still mulling over what to do with my two sets of rims and tires. I could keep dedicated snow tires on one set, would be kinda nice here in Minnesota, but I do just enough adventuring to want good traction all year round, so something snow-rated like the Wildpeak A/T Trail sounds pretty appealing to me (to run year round). I like the 17 inch Trailhawk rims but I definitely like the 18s better in terms of look and style. If I don't go the route of having dedicated snow tires on one set I'll probably end up selling the Trailhawk rims at some point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts