My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Jeep Compass, purchase it in July with 14 miles on it. I filled up my tank last Sunday and the auto shut off on the gas pump never shut off. Gas started spilling out my car. I feel like this is either a defect with the gas station or my car, neither wants to take blame and says it was my fault. My car then began to turn off and wouldn’t hold a charge. My low oil light came on but I just got my oil changed a week prior. Now the dealership is charging me $600 to replace the purge valve (don’t know if this will even work) saying it’s not covered I see my warranty. I feel like I am going to have to get a lawyer

·
Registered
61 Posts
The purge valve is part of the Evaporative Emission Control system, and is covered under the 2 year/24000 mile Federal Emissions Warranty ("Evaporative-emission canister and controls"). It's also covered under the basic 3 year/36000 mile warranty. If it failed simply because the gas nozzle failed to shut off, it's still under warranty - that's a predictable event and failing to design for it is a defect in workmanship.

The nozzle failing to shut off is on the gas station, as long as you had the nozzle pushed far enough into the filler. Here's how the automatic shutoff works.

Did you check your oil level? If it wasn't properly filled, low oil can cause the engine to shut off. You'd notice it first in turns. Does it shut off every time you drive now? Did you have it towed to the dealer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn’t check my oil level because I just got an oil changed 8 days prior. I did get it towed to the dealership, I didn’t drive it home. It has been at the dealership since last Tuesday. The dealership is saying it’s not covered because it’s an outside Influence. It seems the dealership is trying to push it on the gas station and the gas station is saying it is on me. No one wants to be held responsible. I have the Mopar warranty, I even had them call the dealership and the dealership is telling them it’s not covered. At this point if the $600 will fix it I will just pay it but from reading these forums it seems I’ll be out of pocket more. The dealership is saying they don’t know of this will be the fix but this is the sensor that came on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just called the dealership, remember my car was supposed to be done yesterday. I was told the dealership foreman would drive my car some today and I would be able to pick up by 4 or 5. I don’t know why I feel like this won’t be resolved. I will keep the forum updated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2020 Jeep Compass, purchase it in July with 14 miles on it. I filled up my tank last Sunday and the auto shut off on the gas pump never shut off. Gas started spilling out my car. I feel like this is either a defect with the gas station or my car, neither wants to take blame and says it was my fault. My car then began to turn off and wouldn’t hold a charge. My low oil light came on but I just got my oil changed a week prior. Now the dealership is charging me $600 to replace the purge valve (don’t know if this will even work) saying it’s not covered I see my warranty. I feel like I am going to have to get a lawyer
Hi you have a venting problem in your evap system, the fuel tank inst venting thats why it backs up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi you have a venting problem in your evap system, the fuel tank inst venting thats why it backs up
Yes that’s what that code was. I’ve had my car back for a week now. I’m hoping nothing else comes up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts