My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Ford has officially announced their new Bronco SUV family and the full-size Broncos are bonified Wrangler killers. While they were busy blowing the Wrangler Rubicon out of the water with the big Broncos they found the time to swing around and deliver a few heavy hits on the Compass and the Cherokee as well with the "Bronco Sport" crossover. Basically the entire Jeep lineup is under heavy fire from Ford's small army of Broncos.

In short Ford is bringing more power, more tech, and more capability while checking off all the standard features people love about their Jeeps. In the case of Bronco Sport vs Jeep Compass the Sport is bringing up to 245 horsepower and 275 pound feet of torque in an upgraded engine while the Sport base engine is also out-torquing the Compass 2.4 while only having three cylinders. The Sport also appears to have superior AWD with a rear twin-clutch system that can mimic a locking diff far better than a ABS/brake-lock system like the Compass uses.

The Bronco Sport is built to edge out a Compass in every category. Slightly more ground clearance, slightly bigger beefier tires, slightly more towing, etc etc. It could be said to be more of a Cherokee fighter except that it appears to be closer to the Compass in actual size/dimensions. No doubt it will grapple with both but it will have a far easier time beating out the Compass, at least on paper.

What do you guys think? I for one hope it prods Jeep into beefing up the Compass with more power and better 4x4. Competition is pretty much always good for us consumers. I'd say Jeep has their work cut out for them on several fronts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Great looking truck...bet it is a hit right away. Jeep Wrangler better watch out...hope their prices come down to compete as $40K - 50K+ was too much for me to spend.

Reactions: arudlang

·
Registered
126 Posts
As far as a Compass killer is concerned it’s in a different segment market. It’s been made to complete against the Jeep Wrangler.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Agreed...Wrangler competition. Many more Wranglers sold each year than Compasses. Also this vehicle looks like a similar type hard core 4X4.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as a Compass killer is concerned it’s in a different segment market. It’s been made to complete against the Jeep Wrangler.
Agreed...Wrangler competition. Many more Wranglers sold each year than Compasses. Also this vehicle looks like a similar type hard core 4X4.

What you two are demonstrating right there is exact textbook examples of the confusion that Ford has seemingly purposefully set up to happen. You are conflating the Bronco with the Bronco Sport. Two different cars from Ford released on the same day with almost the same name, which everyone in my gear-head circle agrees is going to make for aggravating miscommunication for years and years.

The new Bronco is direct Wrangler competition, but this thread is NOT about the Bronco.

The Bronco Sport is a separate, smaller crossover based on the Ford Escape. The Bronco Sport competes directly with the Compass, Rav4, and other crossovers in that CUV market segment. The Bronco Sport (vs our Compass) is the core subject of my original post and thread.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Certainly a competitor but not a killer. People that want an off road vehicle would be better suited to the Wrangler versus the Compass Trailhawk. People that want an on road vehicle that could go off road but never do could choose between the Compass and the Bronco Sport. Jeep is splitting the design down the middle, while Ford has a curvy Escape and a boxy Bronco. Price and monthly lease payments may still drive some decisions, and personal preference on looks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What you two are demonstrating right there is exact textbook examples of the confusion that Ford has seemingly purposefully set up to happen. You are conflating the Bronco with the Bronco Sport. Two different cars from Ford released on the same day with almost the same name, which everyone in my gear-head circle agrees is going to make for aggravating miscommunication for years and years.

The new Bronco is direct Wrangler competition, but this thread is NOT about the Bronco.

The Bronco Sport is a separate, smaller crossover based on the Ford Escape. The Bronco Sport competes directly with the Compass, Rav4, and other crossovers in that CUV market segment. The Bronco Sport (vs our Compass) is the core subject of my original post and thread.
Agreed!!! I also don't think it was lost on Ford that there would be confusion working in their favor amongst Word-of-Mouth consumers. They really are going to ride out that Bronco name and culture as long as possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Agreed!!! I also don't think it was lost on Ford that there would be confusion working in their favor amongst Word-of-Mouth consumers. They really are going to ride out that Bronco name and culture as long as possible.
One could argue that Jeep did the same with the Cherokee, riding heavily on its namesake’s reputation.

I do think the Bronco Sport will be stiff competition for the Compass, but pricing will be a deciding factor for some. It doesn’t help that the Compass is carrying a bad reputation for reliability.

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
I think the Bronco is aimed more at the Wrangler. There's already dozens of CUVs (Crossovers) that compete with Compass so one more in the pool is hardly news. However, as the saying goes, "There's only one Jeep." Now there may be two, or at least two vehicles in that class.

The smartest thing Jeep could do is to lower the price on the Wrangler, not arbitrarily, but by making a genuine entry-level vehicle with no whistles and bells, just a rugged basic 4wd. Let people modify it as they choose -- they will! Gussying it up to jack up the price is counter-productive. Give me rubber floormats (not a carpet), wind-down windows, mechanical locks, no radio, no air conditioning -- I just want a 4 or 6 cylinder engine, manual gears, and 4wd (controlled by levers not a knob) and pleeeze not a touchscreen!.

·
Super Moderator
163 Posts
I think the Bronco is aimed more at the Wrangler.
Yes, the Bronco is aimed at the Wrangler, but the Bronco Sport is likely aimed at the Compass/Renegade/Cherokee.

See arudlang's post above:
..You are conflating the Bronco with the Bronco Sport. Two different cars from Ford released on the same day with almost the same name, which everyone in my gear-head circle agrees is going to make for aggravating miscommunication for years and years.

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
Yes, the Bronco is aimed at the Wrangler, but the Bronco Sport is likely aimed at the Compass/Renegade/Cherokee.
And as I said, that field is already crowded. Bronco Sport is just more pebble on the seashore.

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
Available for $59,305 (2-Door) and $63,500 (4-Door), the Bronco First Edition. Truly a bargain!
Hmm, should I spend $25,000 on a Compass or $60,000 on a Bronco? Tough decision, the price is so close!

Once the novelty has worn off they'll be priced at half that 2021 Ford Bronco Pricing: 2-Door and 4-Door Models, but some suckers are going to pay for these first editions.

PS. Not available in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
163 Posts
Available for $59,305 (2-Door) and $63,500 (4-Door), the Bronco First Edition. Truly a bargain!
Hmm, should I spend $25,000 on a Compass or $60,000 on a Bronco? Tough decision, the price is so close!
You are confusing the Bronco and Bronco Sport, from the article you linked above: "the Bronco Sport First Edition will be sold for $39,995", still not a bargain but you can buy a well equipped Compass in that price range.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Price is important no doubt but the Bronco equips to be much more than the Compass is, so its not surprising to me that the Bronco fully configured ends up costing more thats because you are clearly getting much more. Much more horsepower, much better 4x4 system, etc. The Base bronco sports with the smaller engine option will be price competitive with the Compass I expect, and sadly even the base bronco sport 3 cylinder motor is more powerful than our 2.4

·
Registered
18 Posts

Once the novelty has worn off they'll be priced at half that 2021 Ford Bronco Pricing: 2-Door and 4-Door Models, but some suckers are going to pay for these first editions.

PS. Not available in Canada.

have you read any of the thread above addressing your incorrect assumption?

2021 Ford Bronco Sport Buyer's Guide: Reviews, Specs, Comparisons

and my compass was a tick over 30k after options so this will be in direct competition to the compass and likely my next car once my lease expires next year.

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
My Compass was in the low $20s and I've got all I need. Granted the AWD is not the best. Frankly my FWD Patriot was fantastic in the snow. Unless one is doing serious off-roading FWD is enough for dirt roads, even reasonable trails, and winter snow. Even if we get a couple feet of snow, the highway crews clear the roads every few inches. The last half-mile on our town-maintained dirt road can be challenging (especially in mud season) but I've always gotten through. Good snow tires do the job. It's nice knowing my Compass has AWD but as I just said, I doubt I'll ever need it.

As for power, I didn't buy a sports car. I think the Compass is adequately powered. I wasn't looking for a race car when I bought it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Reactions: arudlang

·
Registered
67 Posts
The specs look good on paper. It seems like a compass killer, if Jeep were not able to adjust price. If you said to me, "wanna buy the new Bronco Sport or save a few thousand and get a Jeep Trailhawk?", I'd be considering the price as the number one consideration by far. If it comes down to it, a lot of people are going to consider looks and brand first, performance second. I almost got a Cherokee instead of a Compass, but they just looked so UGLY to me. I was more willing to take a hit on performance just because I didn't want to get sick every time I looked at my own driveway. I hate to say that, but it was true. There's a limit to it, but style plays a big factor in purchasing.

What really pushed the limit for me on choosing a Compass over the Cherokee was that the Cherokee was longer and had less interior cargo space. I just couldn't do it. And ugly to boot. Price wasn't a factor.

Looking at the Bronco Sport makes me really think. And number one is the style, which doesn't immediately look good to me. It could grow on me with time, but I don't really like it right now.

As far as it being "more powerful", I'd love to see a dyno graph of its horsepower and torque. I'm wondering if those superior numbers are sharp peaks, or are they flat curves that are really useful, particularly at low RPMs.

Also, I doubt there will be any changes made to the Compass platform because the Cherokee exists.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stumpy said:
I almost got a Cherokee instead of a Compass, but they just looked so UGLY to me.
Most of them are ugly, I'll admit that. Took us a long time to give them another look just because the majority of them on the road are hard to look at. However, there are a couple of (hard to find) trims that are actually good looking. High altitude with its all-black trim is pretty sweet, and trailhawk elite is not too shabby. Also pretty much any special edition with black trim is decent we've found, anything that doesn't have the chrome grill rings and bright roof rails and so on. High altitude is the real winner IMO, huge black rims and even the headliner is black. But your day to day latitude and limited trim Cherokees, yeah they don't look good at all and put us off for a long time.

I almost don't even care that the front end looks like a boat anymore, it got better once they moved the rear license plate onto the rear door instead of the bumper and did away with the weird squinty running lights. At this point I'll glance away until I'm in the drivers seat and then all that matters is that massive response you get from that 3.2 liter V6, now THAT is a highway fighting machine right there, and more or less getting the same gas mileage as my Compass on road trips so far to boot. Absolutely terrific highway acceleration and hole shots. Amazing motor, that little pentastar.

Stumpy said:
the Cherokee was longer and had less interior cargo space.
I don't know exactly what it is that throws off the cubic feet numbers on paper, but I can say now beyond all shadow of a doubt that the Cherokee does not in fact have less cargo space than a Compass. A standard heavy duty 27 gallon tote that only fits one tote sideways in the Compass fits two of the same tote long-ways in the Cherokee (rear seats up in both cars). I don't know what it is that ruins the numbers on paper but the Cherokee for 100% certain has more usable, meaningful cargo space. Wherever the Compass' extra couple cubic feet are hiding, they are of no use.

Stumpy said:
Looking at the Bronco Sport makes me really think. And number one is the style, which doesn't immediately look good to me. It could grow on me with time, but I don't really like it right now.
I agree, the Bronco Sport styling doesn't do it for me. Trying too hard to channel land rover or something similar.

·
Registered
163 Posts
.....As for power, I didn't buy a sports car. I think the Compass is adequately powered. I wasn't looking for a race car when I bought it.
I agree. Yes you have to wind it out a bit when getting on the freeway but overall I do not feel it is under powered for what it is....a functional utility vehicle that you can put lots of stuff in from Cost Co. and also get 30 MPG on road trips with your friends. We have other cars that can go 0-60 in five seconds. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts