My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
As far as a Compass killer is concerned it’s in a different segment market. It’s been made to complete against the Jeep Wrangler.
The Bronco Sport is actually aimed at the Compact market who's buying more Cherokees or TH Compasses and Renegades. The regular Bronco I however is aimed squarely at the Wrangler. I suspect in time it might also be joined by the new Mahindra Thar once the court case over the Roxor is overwith, or maybe before as a fine fickle finger to FCA for ending their agreement.

The New Mahindra Thar Is What the Original Jeep Once Was

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, Ford has officially announced their new Bronco SUV family and the full-size Broncos are bonified Wrangler killers. While they were busy blowing the Wrangler Rubicon out of the water with the big Broncos they found the time to swing around and deliver a few heavy hits on the Compass and the Cherokee as well with the "Bronco Sport" crossover. Basically the entire Jeep lineup is under heavy fire from Ford's small army of Broncos.

In short Ford is bringing more power, more tech, and more capability while checking off all the standard features people love about their Jeeps. In the case of Bronco Sport vs Jeep Compass the Sport is bringing up to 245 horsepower and 275 pound feet of torque in an upgraded engine while the Sport base engine is also out-torquing the Compass 2.4 while only having three cylinders. The Sport also appears to have superior AWD with a rear twin-clutch system that can mimic a locking diff far better than a ABS/brake-lock system like the Compass uses.

The Bronco Sport is built to edge out a Compass in every category. Slightly more ground clearance, slightly bigger beefier tires, slightly more towing, etc etc. It could be said to be more of a Cherokee fighter except that it appears to be closer to the Compass in actual size/dimensions. No doubt it will grapple with both but it will have a far easier time beating out the Compass, at least on paper.

What do you guys think? I for one hope it prods Jeep into beefing up the Compass with more power and better 4x4. Competition is pretty much always good for us consumers. I'd say Jeep has their work cut out for them on several fronts.

View attachment 13865

View attachment 13866
The new Bronco is a total Jeep killer, not just Wrangler killer.

You'd think Jeep's engineers would be smart enough to put the rearview mirrors on the frame of the vehicle and not on the removable doors (like Ford engineer's did). Some people like riding the streets without doors, but you still need those sideview mirrors! Additionally having to disconnect the sway bars manually before going 4x4ing is a pain in the ass! Ford found a way that bypasses this annoying detail. I feel Jeep's engineers have gotten lazy and complacent with what they have.

It also really sucks that every single Jeep has almost identical insides (Wrangler, Patriot, Compass, etc). It's very boring and not aesthetically pleasing.

Basically, unless Jeep steps up their game....I'm getting a Bronco and not looking back.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I agree except for the part about the interiors, when the interior is done well (and I think ours is, or at least on the high-end trims it is) then I don't mind that same nice interior being consistent between different cars we might choose from FCA.

At this point I've mostly resigned myself to pretend I am driving an Audi or a BMW and then I don't feel mad when it has quirks and needs service all the time for stupid stuff. Thats the life you life with a "fancy" car, toyota and honda owners won't ever understand 🤣 seriously though, I'll suffer through a lot just to keep my fancy comfy interior.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been looking for a new car. That said, I notice that the new Compass only has a 1,000 tow limit. I would swear that my 2014 has a 2,000 limit. It does fone with a trailer.

All that said, the Bronco Sport is rated at 2,000 and comes with sway control mounts. Frankly, that matters to me. The Bronco Sport also seems to have a smaller, and possibly more advanced, engine. I will wait to see the MPG numbers. Less power is not a turn off for me.

I would love it if the new four-cylinder in the Wrangler would allow the driver to select what they want to "mild hybrid" to do. It seems that Jeep has it set up for power. Great, but I would rather use that capability for better fuel economy.

·
Super Moderator
164 Posts
I have been looking for a new car. That said, I notice that the new Compass only has a 1,000 tow limit...
Where did you see that? Both the 2019 and 2020 owner's manuals show 2,000 lbs, as does the Jeep website.

2019 owner's manual:

2020 owner's Manual:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Weird I was using the online configurator, at the jeep website, and I saw this:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
the Bronco Sport is rated at 2,000 and comes with sway control mounts.
Sway control mounts? I seriously doubt that. Probably misreading something about the anti-sway ESC/ABS (brake control) which is much more common these days. The Jeep Compass has trailer anti-sway features in the electronic stability control system (the ones with a factory tow setup, anyways).

The Bronco Sport also seems to have a smaller, and possibly more advanced, engine.
Well which engine are you referring to? The Bronco Sport has two engine options and the base engine is a 1.5L three cylinder turbo. That engine is smaller than the Compass 2.4 but similar peak power and torque (thanks to its turbo). The Bronco Sport's larger engine option blows the Compass away. Watch the fine print carefully though as I would not necessarily expect that the version of the Bronco Sport with the 3 cylinder will (or should be) rated for any amount of towing whatsoever.

Certain models of the Compass are not rated for towing like when you don't have 4x4 and the 9-speed transmission, or perhaps they have now put those models at 1000 lbs and maybe that was what you were seeing. Otherwise my guess would be that 1000 lbs is the rating for one that does not come with the factory tow package. Kinda like how a factory tow equipped V6 Cherokee is rated for 4500 but if you don't have factory tow and put on aftermarket it is downgraded to 3500.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts