My Jeep Compass Forum banner

2021 Hard / Rough shifting

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dons2277DJ 
#1 ·
Hello fellow Jeepers! Just reaching out to see if anyone else has experienced or fixed this problem. My wife purchased a 2021 Compass limited S, and has been driving it for around 2000k’s. Initially it’s been driving fine and I’m unsure when it has started, but it has developed a rough kick whilst changing between 1st and 2nd gear, as well as 2nd and 3rd gear. The car is always left in automatic and never shifted manually. Sometimes it’s only minor and sometimes it slams so much it’s ridiculous. Its most noticeable whilst under normal light suburban traffic, as we live in a fairly built up area and don’t get to the freeways for quite some time. Typically it gets better as the car gets up to optimal running temps. The dealership has reset the computer and it developed again within a day. Hoping someone out there can help shed some light on the issue before I have to spend any more time dealing with a dealership who have never tackled this issue before.

#2 ·
I have been chasing answers on this very issue. I am researching it for a friend of mine and it seems like the issue is pretty widespread and the solution from the dealer is always the same. They re calibrate the TCM and the issue pops up immediately. I dont even have a jeep but i made this account to try to get to the bottom of this. If i find anything i can update you. Good luck!

#3 ·
I have this issue. It was so bad I thought I got rear ended a few times. All on street, so far not on freeway. Seems to happen like mentioned where shifting up from low gear. When searching online I couldn't find anyone else with same issue until now. Other than that, I've had a couple of other minor issues where radio sometimes takes forever after starting to get off that silly notice. And a couple of times where I had warning of engine light that dissapeared, and another where it said key wasn't with me when it was. It was pretty cold around those times and wondering if I'll encounter again during Midwest winter.

#5 ·
it has happened intermittently to my sons, wife 2018 compass, jeep drove it 3 time could not duplicate it so they attributed it to THE NUT BEHIND THE WHEEL , i drove it for a hundred miles or so before it happened to me, it is an incredible BANG, I am a retired mechanic and it happens so intermittently that it is hard to diagnose, my son called Jeep and they are sending a JEEP rep down to drive it and try to repair or duplicate it, if anyone else has an answer please pass it on. if i get one i will pass it on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.