My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new here so please be nice....lol. Last friday, I decided purchase a 2022 jeep compass that was actually on the lot, or at least I thought I was, from a dealership. The one dealership that actually had the trim I was interested in, high altitude, was not offering a good deal. Went to my original dealership…was offered a better deal…with the high altitude package included, but the vehicle is listed as “in transit” on their website. The sales rep said it should be about a month wait. But I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with factory ordered vehicles and roughly how long the wait will be? I’m just really excited

·
Administrator
2,243 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new here so please be nice....lol. Last friday, I decided purchase a 2022 jeep compass that was actually on the lot, or at least I thought I was, from a dealership. The one dealership that actually had the trim I was interested in, high altitude, was not offering a good deal. Went to my original dealership…was offered a better deal…with the high altitude package included, but the vehicle is listed as “in transit” on their website. The sales rep said it should be about a month wait. But I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with factory ordered vehicles and roughly how long the wait will be? I’m just really excited
We bought a Wrangler about this time last year. They said 4-6 weeks and it took about 6 to NYC. Then it was a couple weeks more to get it on a truck from NYC to NH. We were about to give up when the dealer said he couldn't find it. The next morning he called and said it had arrived the day before but they hadn't given him the paperwork till that morning. We got it later that day. So I'd say it was 7-8 weeks total, but I forget exactly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome. Happy Thanksgiving and congrats on your new vehicle. I am surprised that they would not do a dealer trade
Thank you and same. You know, had I known about dealer trades prior to this I definitely would have asked. This is my first time ever having experience with a factory order

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We bought a Wrangler about this time last year. They said 4-6 weeks and it took about 6 to NYC. Then it was a couple weeks more to get it on a truck from NYC to NH. We were about to give up when the dealer said he couldn't find it. The next morning he called and said it had arrived the day before but they hadn't given him the paperwork till that morning. We got it later that day. So I'd say it was 7-8 weeks total, but I forget exactly.
Big sigh Ok and thanks for the info. Im really hoping it’ll arrive in December, but a girl can dream…I’ll give the dealership another week or so before i start bugging them for an update…lol

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have factory ordered 3 vehicles over the years. The last was in 2002, a PT Cruiser which was made in the same assembly plant as the US market Compass is today. At that time they were shipped to the US by rail and I was given the rail car number and could track it. Got the PT in less than 5 weeks from the day I ordered it. I understand today they transport by ship and think they come into the Port of Baltimore for the East Coast and then trucked out from there.

·
Administrator
2,243 Posts
Mine came by rail to NYC, then by truck to NH. Seems they had trouble getting truck drivers because of covid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have factory ordered 3 vehicles over the years. The last was in 2002, a PT Cruiser which was made in the same assembly plant as the US market Compass is today. At that time they were shipped to the US by rail and I was given the rail car number and could track it. Got the PT in less than 5 weeks from the day I ordered it. I understand today they transport by ship and think they come into the Port of Baltimore for the East Coast and then trucked out from there.
did you ask the dealership for the rail car number?

·
Registered
408 Posts
did you ask the dealership for the rail car number?
Yes, Once it was built and left the factory, the dealership could get the rail car number. Followed it on CSX RR up to St Louis, MO then East to Twin Oaks, PA rail yard (8 miles from my home, 10 miles from the dealer), then trucked to the dealer.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
736 Posts
Thank you and same. You know, had I known about dealer trades prior to this I definitely would have asked. This is my first time ever having experience with a factory order
Here in my area that is the quickest way to get one. Hopefully Stellantis will change how they do distribution to the dealers on lot cars.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I ordered a 2022 Compass which has not yet arrived, and I have been watching dealer lot inventory lately. I've seen two of them on lots which were Lattitude models. The three main things I've seen on dealer websites are "in stock", "in transit", and cars with no descriptor attached. I tried to inquire about a Compass through a dealer website and ended up getting connected with a LOT of spam calls from people who were working from home and didn't know lot inventory. They just wanted to schedule an appointment for me to meet with a salesperson to try and get me to place an order. I think the reality is that supply is very low but dealers really want to trick you into coming to their lot anyway.

I put in an order for a Bronco Sport, and they gave me a "build date", but every time the date gets near, they move it back.

I recently went to a Ford dealer who had a Maverick on the lot. They said it wasn't for sale, it was just there for test drives. They said it might be 3-6 months to get an order fulfilled for one. They had one "big bronco" on the lot for the same reason. It's a weird time for car purchases.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
736 Posts
My salesman who I have dealt with since 99 told me the other day he is focusing on selling used as compared to new. No wait - no hassle.

·
Registered
2022 Jeep Compass TrailHawk
3 Posts
I just bought my '22 TrailHawk off of a lot last week. I first went to my favorite family owned dealer, but their supply was virtually non-existent. They told me that dealer trades are an absolute no go right now because every dealer is holding on to their inventory for dear life. I had to find the model and options I wanted at another nearby dealer, and still wasn't able to get the tow package I really wanted. Oh well, I'll just install one myself in the spring.

But congratulations to you on your choice of the MP, Tasha. I hope you take delivery very soon and fall in love with your baby Jeep.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi everyone,

The 2022 model with a different shape of central steering part is the same model as Compass 2021 outside of USA.
Lucky that yours is in Transit . Here ,in India, the dealers are not bothering with responding to phone queries and pushing the colours they have in stock( black and Techno metallic green have long wait times).
It seems the global chip shortage is a major production hurdle.
The 2021 model( 2022 USA) revived the Jeep sales in India.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, Once it was built and left the factory, the dealership could get the rail car number. Followed it on CSX RR up to St Louis, MO then East to Twin Oaks, PA rail yard (8 miles from my home, 10 miles from the dealer), then trucked to the dealer.
Hi i know this was a little bit of time ago, im in this situation right now where my compass is "in transit" i have no tracking info so im just wondering about how long did this take once shipped for you if you remember? thank you in advance!

·
Administrator
2,243 Posts
I ordered a Wrangler and it took about 8-9 weeks. That was in December 2020 before the current vehicle shortage.
See my post #3 above.

·
Administrator
2,243 Posts
was this it 8-9 weeks total or after it shipped?
8-9 weeks from when we placed the order until we got it. IIRC, it was shipped around 6 weeks. The rest of the wait was getting it from NY to NH by truck. Covid rules were restricting truckers. IDK if that was the trucking company, the truckers' union, or federal rules. Probably a combination of all three.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts