My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Jeep Compass Trailhawk Elite 4x4 2020 Jeep Compass Altitude 4x4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Trailhawk came with the standard 17x6.5 wheels. They are stamped 5-110 which i assume is the bolt pattern. I ordered a set of spacers from Titan that are sold as 5x110 hub centric. They mount on the hub and the bolts align as expected. The wheel however will not accept the threaded studs. I checked that the thread pitch/bolt size are the same and that the provided nuts fit both the studs and lug bolts that come with the car.

I have not experienced a mis-match like this before. Am I missing something obvious?
I assume the wheels are accurate but cannot measure either reliably since it is a 5 bolt pattern.

I ran very lite sand paper around the bolt opening to remove any burs. But the different just seems to large for it to be a casting flash issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
My best guess without seeing the spaceris that the center hub on the spacer is not the correct size (to big) so the wheel is not sitting flush to the spacer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is your spacer bolted to the hub? If so they usually have threaded lugs which will protrude through the wheel and use wheel nuts instead of threaded studs. If this is the case did you use flush mount studs to attach the spacer to the hub? It appears from your picture that the threads are not protruding through the wheel enough to install wheel nuts. This can happen when the original studs are used to mount the spacer as it keeps the wheel from sitting flush with the surface of the spacer. If you can add a picture of your spacer setup it would help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

@WisHawk The wheel wont start to go on the spacer. The bolts/studs are too tight to get that far down.
@JeepGuy21 I did have one mounted to the hub. These spacers are 1.5 inch thick. The "bolt" top sat flush with the spacer.

The trouble is that the bolts are simply too close together. Videos attached may help.

Back side View
Front Side View

·
Registered
6 Posts
The videos give a clearer picture of what you are dealing with. It looks like you have received 5-108 spacers instead of 5-110. You would be surprised at the difference 2mm can make on a 5 lug hub. I had a similar problem years ago with some wheels I ordered for another vehicle. They sent me 5-112 instead of 5-114. looked very similar to your issue. I would confirm the P/N with the supplier as I suspect you have the wrong spacer. There are spacers to convert a 5-110 like we have to other sizes so maybe they sent you the wrong ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since you have already confirmed the spacers fit your 5-110 wheel hub, a surefire way to confirm would be to try mating 2 spacers together. If the threads on one spacer do not easily fit the holes on the other spacer then there is a manufacturing or part number issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was a good idea. But they did fit. I have not had a chance to call Titan yet.
I believe the tolerance on the wheels is much tighter than the wheel spacers. The wheel adapters have nearly 2 mm of tolerance around the studs.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just a suggestion
I would push those wheels on the spacers and tighten them down using the star pattern and than unbolt them.
I would bet they would straighten out. My thinking is the treaded stud did not get pressed straight or is not fully seated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was thinking that also but would not use an alloy wheel as it may cause damage. I would try bolting a spacer on the vehicle hub and then mounting another spacer on it and torquing the lug nuts to spec. This should center the studs if your theory is correct. Remove the second spacer and see if the wheel fits on the vehicle without forcing it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I like your idea. You could try it with the spare also if you have one. The spare rim is steel.

Reactions: JeepGuy21

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like your idea. You could try it with the spare also if you have one. The spare rim is steel.
Just have to be careful with the steel rim as forcing it on may damage the threads on the spacers. The spacers have more play in the holes so less chance of damage using them to seat the studs. Lug nuts should always spin on freely but not if threads get damaged. Seen it happen lots and it messes up torque and can cause the lug nuts to strip.

·
Registered
299 Posts
A little humor

Facial expression Sleeve Happy Gesture Baby

Reactions: JeepGuy21

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hope you figured it out man! If anyone knows, I got some 245’s (tires) for free. From my buddy who used them twice. They are 17s but I was wondering if I get 2” spacers will they fit? I’m not sure haha. They are definitely wider then the stock 215’s

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hope you figured it out man! If anyone knows, I got some 245’s (tires) for free. From my buddy who used them twice. They are 17s but I was wondering if I get 2” spacers will they fit? I’m not sure haha. They are definitely wider then the stock 215’s
I think the over all diameter of the tire will not fit inside the fender well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts