My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
If I enable 4WD lock can it be damaged by driving on the highway with it on? I know 4WD Low will cause damage but what about having 4WD Lock enabled?
I was told it will not hurt but only on wet slippery surfaces. Only owner manual states only engage 4x4 when driving Under 45mph. In other words done engage will on highway doing 65mph

·
Administrator
2,237 Posts
I wouldn't use it unless you need it. Running it in 4wd Lock on a dry road puts a lot of unnecessary stress on the drive train. However, it is a good idea to get onto a loose or slippery surface once in a while and run it in 4wd just to keep everything working. I do that with my Compass and our Wrangler. I run them maybe a mile at 25MPH on a loose gravel road once per month and use all the 4wd settings.

4wd is meant to help you get started in deep snow at low speeds, or for off-road situations where some wheels may not find traction. 4wd is not needed in typical highway situations. Even in snow you will find that the engine works a lot harder in 4wd and your fuel economy will plummet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure that having it locked in 4WD can cause damage? The only thing that mentions is that going above 25mph in 4WD LOW can cause damage to the drive train. Nothing about having it locked says anything about damage. The Jeep compass doesn't have a transfer case either and it can do sharp turns with it locked in 4WD without it binding. It seems more of an AWD system than a 4WD system.

·
Registered
Compass Trailhawk 4Xe
80 Posts
Even in Auto mode it will still shunt power to the rear when it detects slippage at the front.

And in 4WD Lock I'm pretty sure it's only the PTU that is locked/engaged Not the rear drive clutch.

So all you'll be doing is spinning the prop shaft constantly and burning more fuel. Just to gain a few ms when shunting power to the rear.

Willing to be corrected on this as it's not well documented by Jeep.

·
Administrator
2,237 Posts
I think my Compass binds in AWD if I turn sharp. I can't imagine it wouldn't in 4wd Lock. I just try not to crank it all the way over there.

·
Registered
328 Posts
A number of Youtube videos that explain how the drivetrain works.

·
Registered
93 Posts
2022 Jeep Compass have "4WD LOW"? How is that accomplished without a transfer case to reduce gearing?

·
Registered
2021 (2022 for USA) Compass 4xE 240hp version S full equip
33 Posts
2022 Jeep Compass have "4WD LOW"? How is that accomplished without a transfer case to reduce gearing?
Yes, they have. At least, I have it in my 2022 4xE S version

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk Pro

1 - 10 of 10 Posts