My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Service department informed me the dead battery is an ongoing problem. 2 different service departments from 2 dealers contribute it to the Trans Start Stop. My 2018 2nd Gen Compass is well maintained and serviced with 16k miles (yes 6 weeks from being 3 years old with 16k miles, not a type O). Compass died on a major highway, major headache! A service manager said Jeep has on a regular basis changed battery suppliers. He believes the batteries are unreliable, now I’m waiting to see if FCA will reimburse me for the flatbed, app and phone operator were useless in the breakdown. Now questioning this purchase. Ugh 🤦🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
279 Posts
Service department informed me the dead battery is an ongoing problem. 2 different service departments from 2 dealers contribute it to the Trans Start Stop. My 2018 2nd Gen Compass is well maintained and serviced with 16k miles (yes 6 weeks from being 3 years old with 16k miles, not a type O). Compass died on a major highway, major headache! A service manager said Jeep has on a regular basis changed battery suppliers. He believes the batteries are unreliable, now I’m waiting to see if FCA will reimburse me for the flatbed, app and phone operator were useless in the breakdown. Now questioning this purchase. Ugh
I had to replace mine already too, with 50,000kms after 3 years.
Wasn't cheap!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Make sure to buy a battery that can handle abuse (repeated charge depletions) and has a high CCA rating. Going to need it driving this car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are two batteries. The main battery, and the auxiliary battery (for the auto stop start). Each cost $500 to replace, and are not warrantied. I know cause I had to do it. I changed the aux battery in year two between 50,000 and 100,000 km, and the main battery last year (year 3) with about 120,000km. I was not impressed.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you are in the U.S. Napa has very good quality batteries. Here is the list prices and most months if you do a search you can fine discounts up to 20% off. ( No I don't work for NAPA) I just want to folks here to see some of these prices. I hear these dealers just ripping people off on the battery prices and it's upsetting.

Reactions: FixCarAgain

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
There are two batteries. The main battery, and the auxiliary battery (for the auto stop start).
This is correct.

Each cost $500 to replace, and are not warrantied.
That is not [correct]. If you let your dealership rob you of $1000 for two batteries gone bad within 3 years... you simply let your dealership rob you, sorry to say. Its unfortunate but I cannot sympathize.

All I will add is that I am pretty sure if you use AlfaOBD to permanently disable the entire ESS system then you no longer need an aux battery, and can run on one single battery (provided it is a high quality unit). I haven't fully tested this yet but I intend to, just wringing the last few usable miles out of my OEM batteries still. But for the price of the OEM battery, I'd say that money is better spent buying AlfaOBD and its hardware and just getting rid of ESS and going to one battery. If nobody gets around to it before me I will document it up some day, probably no later than this fall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts