My Jeep Compass Forum banner

2nd Generation 100,000 mile problems?

7K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Jasmine 
#1 ·
I imagine a few of us have crossed the 100,000 mile mark. I'm getting close. Has anyone run into any problems with their 2nd Gen Compass after the 100,000 mile mark?

#2 ·
My trailhawk is at 148,000 no issues.

Reactions: Jasmine
#3 ·
I'm at 92k. So far the only thing has been the front sway bar links being replaced. And after typing this, calling the dealer to fix my backup camera. (desperately trying to find a piece of wood to knock on)

#8 · (Edited)
139,000 on the buggy. The only thing replaced at about 80,000 was sway bar links. and a set of plugs. At about 120k a deep front end rattle started, the sway bar bushings.
I was able to purchase the complete sway bar for $112 from the dealer, as at the time nobody stocked replacement bushings, only available as an assembly from dealer.
I have not tackled the install yet, too busy doing other important summer activities, like launching boats, lol
I did find replacement bushings after my purchase from CARid, for about 6 bucks (of course). I figure I'd have to remove the bar to replace the bushings anyway, so no different in the difficulty side of the job.
Almost forgot to mention, at right around 100k, my radio screen started to delaminate. fortunately is is still functioning fine.

Just as a side note. the 5th gear occasional clunk is no worse, as well as the 47 mph whine. Mine has always had a 18-25 mph vibration that know one can figure out, and that has not gotten any worse.......of course any better either!

Still managing 27 mpg at usually 75 mph with mixed stop and go, with air on, so that has not changed either.

#9 ·
Mine has always had a 18-25 mph vibration that know one can figure out, and that has not gotten any worse.......of course any better either!
Not quite sure what you mean by "vibration." Is that noise in the drive train or is the front end shaking? If it that vibration is a grumbling noise FYI there was an update to move the grumbling noise up to 45+ MPH where it is pretty much covered by typical road noise. Update was free. TSB 08-095-18. I had it done on my late 2018 Compass and it worked. My replacement 2019 Compass only has the noise in the 45+ range so I presume newer years came with the update already installed.

#11 ·
Hey Motorhead, for your issue:
"Almost forgot to mention, at right around 100k, my radio screen started to delaminate."

I had the same problem. Local dealer wouldn't warranty so I called Jeep corporate direct, this is a known issue with 2017-2018 2nd gens, they replaced mine FREE! Call Jeep.

Your other issues:
"Just as a side note. the 5th gear occasional clunk is no worse, as well as the 47 mph whine. Mine has always had a 18-25 mph vibration that know one can figure out"

I've got the same annoying clunk, happens when trans is about ready to upshift from 4th to 5th and I get off the gas pedal, software doesn't recognize I want to slow down and slams into 5th gear anyway. Jeep hasn't been able to find a fix. I'm sure a s/w update would fix this if it exists. I also get the vibration at 48-52 mph, used to be at 35mph before the TSB, never gonna get rid of it. It's the rear drive shaft spooling up as designed, another s/w 4x4 design. As for the 18-25 vibration, mine seemed to get better after the sway bar link was changed, seemed to be caused by the trans s/w always wanting to upshift to higher gear for best mpg and lowest rpm, causes engine lugging and then front end shimmy/vibration. If you manually shift, it's not there because you can rev up the motor more than auto shift does.

My 2017 2nd gen has 85K miles, bought it with 44K miles as lease turn in. Had the 18mph vibration and I guessed it was spark plug or coil pack related and replaced all 4 of each, no change but I'm good until about 150K miles now on plugs/coils. Also recently replaced belt, all fluids (frt/rear drives, trans, transaxle), filters (again), batteries (both to fix auto stop/start issue), radio as mentioned above, frt brakes/rotors (rears amazingly still stock). Tires are up next and another check of rear brakes and eventually coolant at 100K. PCV valve maybe at 100K.

Anybody replace struts and shocks? Mine seem fine but I'm debating I I should change them now or at 100K (or until failure).

#12 ·
We didn't make it to 42,000. The transmission in our 2020 has gone out. Before that, both batteries were replaced at the year mark and the shifter at 7 months. We bought a 2022 Toyota 4Runner to replace it. it is being fixed and then we will decide if we truly want to get rid of the Compass. I have learned so much from being in this forum.

#13 ·
I'm glad this forum has been helpful, though sorry you've had so much trouble. I think yours is the first ZF transmission failure I've seen on the site, although many complain about it acting funky. I've gotten used to that.

There are lots of transmission complaints about the CVT but that is because the owners manual understates the maintenance intervals.

#14 ·
You are correct. The transmission always acted what I call "quirky." We were on the way back home from a road trip when it decided to quit on us at 1AM in the morning. Thankfully we were able to limp it to my parents house. My husband was never a big fan of it (he has an old XJ that he babies so he always joked that my Compass wasn't a real Jeep lol) so as soon as it happened he got up the next morning and went and bought the 4Runner. Compass is in the shop. Thankfully the dealer didn't fight too hard on replacing the transmission, so whoever does buy it will at least have a brand new transmission. Maybe one day in the future we will try again with a Compass. I just think it is our luck. We've known plenty of people with them with no issues and we see them all over the road where we live.

Thanks again

#15 ·
FYI, Jeep corporate told me to have my trans reprogrammed for a "Quick Learn" update which clears out the memory and makes the car believe it is new so the trans can learn your driving habits. Cost $175 plus tax! But....so far no more 4th to 5th gear clunk/whiplash effect. Car did clunk once or twice when pulling in my driveway which is on an incline, not sure why but doesn't do it often. So far so good. Still get the 18mph shake but when you listen to the motor, you can hear the ram's drop as the trans upshifts and basically lugs the motor. Never happens in manual mode shifting.

#16 ·
WOW, it's been a while since I have been on this site. I am now at approx. 143,000 on the clock, and the buggy is still hummiing away....with an occasional Compass hiccup or two.
I can agree on the 18 MPH shake being a part of the driveline lugging. If I take off "briskly" about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, no shake and it spools up nicely, since it stays in 1st much longer.
I'll check the dealer for possible coverage on the delaminating. I know I'll probably get the "not covered" response, but it is worth a shot.
As far as the 5th gear clunk, from what I know, it is the engaging of a dog clutch in the trans. If you stand on the gas, you notice it has quite the lag between gears. It is supposed to take the load off the shifting, to help alleviate the hard fifth gear engagement. The problem seems that it does not work well while take off moderately, then taking your foot off the gas, while it wants to shift to 5th (that is when my does it the most).
Like I said in the past. Nothing has fallen off or exploded, so it something we have to live with.
EVERY driving "machine" will have quirks, ours happens to be these quirks. I don't care who builds it!

#17 ·
As far as the 5th gear clunk, from what I know, it is the engaging of a dog clutch in the trans. If you stand on the gas, you notice it has quite the lag between gears. It is supposed to take the load off the shifting, to help alleviate the hard fifth gear engagement. The problem seems that it does not work well while take off moderately, then taking your foot off the gas, while it wants to shift to 5th (that is when my does it the most).
I've not noticed a problem accelerating. What I notice is not so much a clunk as a gap between 5 and 4 when I'm decelerating. It takes a long time between those gears, like maybe 2 seconds. When using the transmission to hold me back while descending a hill the gap is so long that I gain speed before 4th engages, so I have to drop to 3rd to do any appreciable engine braking.

#18 ·
We love our 2019 6spd manual Compass. It's been great and had no issues until yesterday it blew the head gasket at 45k miles. I believe due to the electric cooling fan failing and letting the engine overheat. I am pretty bummed about it. Under warranty, but we left town a few hours after, and we won't be back for over a week to take it to a dealer.

#24 ·
FYI, I had a 2016 Renegade, there was a known issue (can't recall if it was a recall) for the thermostat- made of plastic and would warp causing leaks. I replaced mine before it became well known, a real pia with a few scarred knuckles. Another recall was for the radiator fan (more plastic issues), also replaced that before it became a recall (dangit!). Fan would warp and stop working, a fuse would blow, and engine would overheat. My wife was driving the car and it was overheating, thank God she called me as she would have kept driving until engine would have exploded.

As for the Compass, such a love hate relationship. Just installed new Pirelli Scorpion A/S + tires. I need to refresh the suspension as my mechanic friend said the inner tie rod is bad, so he'll replace the outer as well while it's off. Already replaced sway bar link but I want him to check that they aren't the cheap plastic ones. I'm also starting to hear a slight occasional pop noise from the rear, my guess is rear sway bar links. The other thing I'm still debating on is replacing the struts all around and if any other parts need to be replaced with the struts (spring seats, bearings, etc). I'm guessing $1500-$2000 worth of maintenance and alignment would refresh to new condition, just not sure if I want to dump that money into this car or move on, but prices of new and used cars these days are astronomical.

Still have the 4th to 5th gear occasional clunk/lurch that pmo and constant failure of auto/stop start system (! Light has been on for a month - dealer claims it's the hood switch and harness, I think bs). At this point I'll probably put the money into it and drive it until it dies. Got 96K on the odometer now.

#25 ·
^^ Needing some chassis parts replaced at 100k seems perfectly reasonable to me. Tie rods and struts are wear parts.

Changing from the stock firestone tires to General Altimax 365AW significantly decreased the fuel economy in our Compass. Not exactly the cars fault, but I'm not exaggerating, we went from 32-35 summer mpg to 27-30. 5mpg hit sucks. We wanted a little bit tougher tire this time, with some better ice/snow grip, but I was careful to check weights, the tire is not any heavier than the firestone. Tread pattern must make a big difference.

#26 ·
I agree with you @Wombat Ranger. I didn't care for the traction of the Firestones, but they really delivered the superior fuel economy they promised. In summer I'm running General RT43s and I like the traction, but as you said the fuel economy is noticeably lower. Right now it's winter and I'm running General Altimax Arctics and the fuel economy is lower yet. Add to it winter temperatures, winter fuel formulation, and a spare tire kit I constructed myself, and I struggle to get 28MPG and I'm a pretty easy driver on mostly rural highways.

My Generals are wearing well but when the time comes for new tires I may go back to the Firestones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.