My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Temps have been well below freezing for me for a couple weeks now. I notice that when UNDER LOAD, especially if I happen to conduct a gear change at the same time, there is a very audible click sound from under the Jeep. If I downshift before 40ish, and am engine braking, I can hear it but not as loud. When accelerating there is no sound no feeling. I'm not complaining, just asking if anyone else has the same thing. My thought is it is the AWD system engaging.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Temps have been well below freezing for me for a couple weeks now. I notice that when UNDER LOAD, especially if I happen to conduct a gear change at the same time, there is a very audible click sound from under the Jeep. If I downshift before 40ish, and am engine braking, I can hear it but not as loud. When accelerating there is no sound no feeling. I'm not complaining, just asking if anyone else has the same thing. My thought is it is the AWD system engaging.
I've heard a slight sound from the drivetrain that sounds like the rear axle is engaging.
About the same speed. But I wouldn't describe it as a click sound. More of a very light vibration that I'd equate to the drive shaft starting up.

I don't always notice it. And it definitely is not cold temp related. We haven't driven it at temps below 40°F at all I don't think.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah I've heard ours do anything from a click to a mild clunk under certain conditions, such as switching into snow mode from auto while moving. The axle to the rear disconnects both at the front and the rear so there are two actuators that have to engage to get the torque back there. The long driveshaft has to spin up from 0 to whatever speed and if not every tire is going the same speed there will probably be a bit of mild noise expected.

It would be interesting to know more about the programming of the rear axle disconnects but I doubt jeep is willing to share much information on that just yet.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well now that it has been well below freezing for a number of days, my trailhawk started making anything from a click to large thud (like a big chunk of ice breaking off when slowing down.
Now this morning I had -20 on the dash and about 20 miles down the road (so it was warmed up) I took it from auto to manual going about 45 mph and she squealed and made a big thump. Everything has worked fine since. So my best guess just cold weather related. And speaking of squealing the belts really sing when it -20 out for a good 30 seconds when starting cold.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well now that it has been well below freezing for a number of days, my trailhawk started making anything from a click to large thud (like a big chunk of ice breaking off when slowing down.
Now this morning I had -20 on the dash and about 20 miles down the road (so it was warmed up) I took it from auto to manual going about 45 mph and she squealed and made a big thump. Everything has worked fine since. So my best guess just cold weather related. And speaking of squealing the belts really sing when it -20 out for a good 30 seconds when starting cold.
Mine too! My KL did that and had the belt tensioner replaced. I'm not taking this one in. The fewer dealer schmucks that touch it, the better. Every day, around 37-39 MPH, when slowing down, I get a thud. It has to be the AWD system. For such a precise speed activation, nothing else is possible. Given I have the 6spd manual. BTW, more towing miles tomorrow! Hooking up the trailer to pick up some stuff I bought off Fleshbook.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I get a similar noise. It happens when coasting to a slower speed. Happens also around the mid 30s. Sounds like a big thud, as if a chunk of ice is hitting the under body. Im having this happen while in auto mode (auto trans)

·
Super Moderator
530 Posts
Look in your owners manual, and locate the 4x4/AWD fuse, pull that (it will force the vehicle into FWD only, that way you can isolate whether or not its related to the rear axle engagement

1 - 7 of 7 Posts