My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I drive a 2007 Jeep Compass 5-speed manual 2.4L. Many times I have to park on a hill at night (with the front of the Jeep pointing down). I park the Jeep in reverse with the e-brake on. In the morning, when I try to back up off the hill, there is a delay before the transmission catches or the gas kicks in. I have parked in this spot for years with another car with a manual tranny with no problem.

Perhaps I need shift to 1st gear first to clear the gearbox? Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well I am not certain of the problem. Maybe you can reword it.

Is it the engine not responding to gas pedal when on that angle?

Is it the clutch not grabbing right way when the gas it pressed but the engine does respond and the tach shows the rev's?

Manual it pretty simple transmission with all the force delievered through the clutch plate unless its worn already and slipping or the pressure to engage is not there. If so many newer vehicles use a hydraulic piston to pull and release the plate. But if its the engine engine with a delay then it could be a fuel pickup problem or something else. Clarify the issue for those who can help. Because you statement includes both as the problem but can't be - "delay before the transmission catches or the gas kicks in".

How steep is the angle of this street?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tested a bit more. The transmission is engaging fine. It's a fuel delivery problem.

I did some research and some Jeep Compasses and Patriots have fuel delivery problems on steep grades.

I suppose the easy solution is to park on a flat surface. I'll update if I find a more technical solution.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Good that its isolated. What is the problem? Sound like it may be pickup related but should not matter unless the fuel tank is low and it can suck any fuel. The output is high pressure and wouldn't be affected. But I'll follow any updates on this issue.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Sometimes, even with the vehicle parked on a flat surface, if it sits long enough, the fuel drains out of the lines and back into the tank. In your case, with the front of the Compass down as you indicated since you park on an incline, it is going to take a little longer for the fuel to be pumped from the tank, through the lines and to the injectors. Best thing to do if you have to park that way, just turn the key on until the fuel pump clicks on and then try to start it.

- Cherokee

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
If thats the case they need a checkvalve under the hood ahead of the fuel rail. I did not think these high pressure fuel pumps were that open to allow flow back of gas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
mine dose the same thing when i pull up to my mailbox which is on a hill then i back into my driveway. i can have the car in neutral wiht no brake applied and it will sit thier for about 10 seconds. i just chocked it up to being some kind of hill assist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts