My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Could using a 5W-30, oil in my vehicle which specifies a 5W-20 oil void my new car warranty ?

Thanks

Tibuck

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
First let me welcome you to the forum, tell us more about your ride.
As for your question, I doubt It but you should check with the dealer to be sure.......

·
Registered
656 Posts
Oil recommendation

Why would you want to use anything BUT the recommended oil?
Unless you are sitting on kegs of the other stuff.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the minor differences between viscosity and pour point between the two. The 5W20 is able to handle cold temperatures better than the 5W30. With the 5W30 you might lose a little bit of fuel economy but all in all I don't think you'll notice anything. I'll stick with the 5W20 myself for the winter here in Canada.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would bet you a dozen doughnuts that yes, you will void your warranty if you use anything but 5W20. That's probably why they even stamped it on the fill cap. :)

Seriously, your engine is a finely-engineered piece of German tuning. Don't risk it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Actually Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance is based out of Dundee, Michigan. So that makes it a finely-engineered piece of American tuning. This also gives me someone to blame my engine problems on ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
i run 5w 30 in the summer and 5w 20 in the winter

in my old bmw i run 20w 50 in the summer and 10w 40 in the winter 2 years ago

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
That is a good call smokey, but I'd honestly rather blame it on Daimler haha, just to stick it to them, not that Chrysler wouldn't have been in enough financial trouble all on their own anyway, but Daimler's involvement certainly didn't help. One thing for sure, I'll never buy a Mercedes. BMW for me if I buy German.

- Cherokee

·
Registered
381 Posts
Daimler probably had a hand in it. You can also blame Mitsubishi and Hyundai too since they helped design the engine. The would add Korea and Japan to the list. If you count Daimler then you can include Germany, but since Daimler sold Chrysler in 2007 and kept a 19% share I choose not to include it. Incidently Daimler regained control of Chrysler in March 2009. I'll blame Cerebus Capital Management for this period since they had 80% control of the company(I'll blame them for chrysler's financial nose dive too).

One thing has become clear to me now, I have too much time on my hands to know this stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I agree with the dig on Cerberus. I always wondered what a private equity firm knew about vehicles in the first place.....? Those people are into hedge funds and the like, which would explain their interest in Chrysler in the first place, as they don't trade in asset backed securities but rather invest their money in speculative ventures at best. Guess they hedged their bet and lost.....

- Cherokee

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
LOL.............still cracking up on Smokey's last write up.............way too much time on your hand to know all this stuff...............LMAO !!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts