My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday whilst coming to Deer Camp was my first snow. Also the first time below 35F. AWD did not turn on automatically. My Cherokee Trailhawk did. Anyone else with experience with winter temps? Though not much snow, I was happy with the tires and behavior.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My MPGs have dropped by 2 with the colder temps. But I can feel/hear the AWD Lock engage when I turn it on, so that is how I know it was not on by default. The "Ice on Road" warning does show up in the cluster.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I assume thats because its not all wheel drive/AWD.

Its automatic four wheel drive/4WD. Meaning, its normally almost always driving with just the front wheels, its not going to put the rear wheels in play unless it detects slippage or a full-time 4x4 driving mode is selected.

At least, thats my understanding of the system.

There is no reason for it to assume 4x4 is needed based solely on temperature. It could be -30 but you may still be driving on bare pavement on a sunny day. It could be below freezing for weeks and never have a single snowflake hit the ground the whole time, so it would be a waste of tread for it to drive all four wheels based only on temp, no?

·
Registered
41 Posts
My MPGs have dropped by 2 with the colder temps. But I can feel/hear the AWD Lock engage when I turn it on, so that is how I know it was not on by default. The "Ice on Road" warning does show up in the cluster.
It's been a REALLY long time since I had a 4x4, and then I had to put it in 4wd to use it... What exactly do you hear/feel? Curious so I know what to look for, so I can tell when it is engaged.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts