My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Compass Latitude
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed recently that when my Compass is in the 5th gear it sounds much louder then any other gear, almost like there is suddenly a hole in the muffler and then its gone once shifted out.

Don't know much about the mechanics, is this something anyone knows and what it is?

Should it be something I get checked out ASAP since only having my Compass for less then a month ATM.

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
There was a lot of discussion on this site about the grinding noise at medium speeds, say 25-40MPH. That's probably about where 5th gear happens. I noticed with my 2018 that if I shifted to autostick mode, or clicked off the ESC, the noise went away.

Your dealer can do an update that will move the grinding noise up to higher speeds where it is not so noticeable. The update is TSB 08-095-18. I asked my dealer about it and they didn't know a thing but when he looked it up he said, "Oh yeah, we can do that." They did it and as I said the noise moved up to a higher speed where it was drowned out by road noise.

My 2019 Compass has been nearly silent since it came from the factory so they must have updated the transmission software on the newer models. I haven't seen much on this site about the grinding noise in a year or so.

If you really want to hear a hum or a grinding noise, take a ride in a Subaru! Those have really noisy drivetrains.

PS, don't try to solve the problem by switching off the ESC. It is a safety device and you should let it do what it's designed to do..

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Without actual audio of it hard to say if its related to the other issue Jasmine was referring to. It might just be a resonate range that is evident in 5th gear because of the actual load being applied (5th is 1:1 ratio but used as an acceleration gear to get into the overdrives, so you typically under moderate load when going through 5th).

Is it loud enough to get a video with clear audio of the sound?

If it is a resonate range related to load and RPM you can probably recreate the sound in other gears at other speeds using the manual shifting mode.

But to answer your main question, other than the issue Jasmine was talking about which sounds to me different than what you are describing, no this is not a known or common issue in these cars that we have heard of.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I noticed recently that when my Compass is in the 5th gear it sounds much louder then any other gear, almost like there is suddenly a hole in the muffler and then its gone once shifted out.

Don't know much about the mechanics, is this something anyone knows and what it is?

Should it be something I get checked out ASAP since only having my Compass for less then a month ATM.
Hey! Did you get your problem fixt? I have exakt the same problem whit my car…

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
Hey! Did you get your problem fixt? I have exakt the same problem whit my car…
Did you see my post (#2 in this thread)? That update might solve your problem. Please report back. I wish @byrnsie1122 had updated this thread since that's who started it.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Compass Latitude
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not get it fixed. Whole covid thing has put a damper on a lot of stuff so never have had the cash to check it out. Hopefully this summer I can now that work is back up and running.

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
I did not get it fixed. Whole covid thing has put a damper on a lot of stuff so never have had the cash to check it out. Hopefully this summer I can now that work is back up and running.
Yeah, my whole department got canned. I was just going to retire but my my boss got a job with another company and made me an offer to come work there. It's part time which is all I need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts