My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towing today reading 74 degrees C it started to rise and suddenly came up with a red gearbox service light, yellow engine service light and yellow start stop disengaged

I was doing about 70mph and had been for an hour. I reduced my speed as the temp went into the high 90s and it was revving strangely in gears

Got to the destination, loaded up the box trailer and started it back up. Gearbox service light had gone out but engine and start stop light was still on. Drove absolutely fine though all the way home circa 85 miles. I reduced the speed a bit as well

Got home turned off the jeep, gave it an hour or two and started back up. Now all lights cleared as if no issues

Anyone else had this or can explain what happened. I think it's overheated

Trailer is about 500kg unbaked, twin axle 8ft high and long

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have not had that happen, I pulled a single-axle box trailer about 6 ft tall and long this weekend 450 miles on some large hills and had no issues, mine was loaded to at least 2000 lbs.

You are shifting manually, right? (with the autostick) You cannot let the computer decide the shifts when pulling a lot of weight, it will shift gears back and forth over and over and that will probably cause a lot of heat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not had that happen, I pulled a single-axle box trailer about 6 ft tall and long this weekend 450 miles on some large hills and had no issues, mine was loaded to at least 2000 lbs.

You are shifting manually, right? (with the autostick) You cannot let the computer decide the shifts when pulling a lot of weight, it will shift gears back and forth over and over and that will probably cause a lot of heat.
You're trailer was a touch heavier than mine then even fully loaded I don't think I ever go over 750kg 1650 lbs

No I've been leaving it in fully auto. Maybe that's were I've been going wrong?

Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find any faults but said there was a gearbox software upgrade which they did

I'm towing again this Friday and Saturday so will see how it goes

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yeah maybe just watch closely to see how often it is shifting, maybe its not an issue with your diesel but on mine if I left it in auto mode it will jump between 8th and 7th dozens of times before it will stay in 7th, and then if its really heavy it will continue to jump between 7th and 6th. With the 2.4 gas motor I am never able to tow a trailer like above 6th gear but with diesel I'm sure 7th and sometimes even 8th are possible. 9th just sounds crazy though, even for a diesel.

I still believe using autostick is the way to go when towing on hills no matter what. I have no issues with temperature and my trailer was a hard, long pull up a large hill to get out of the city last weekend. Pretty much jammed it in 4th and pulled 4k RPMs all the way up the hill but thats what works for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys! Please advise how did you manage to monitor the shift number in auto mode?
Thank you.
It's on the dash. Shows the gear you're in

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's on the dash. Shows the gear you're in
[/
Thank you.
But in auto mode on the dash I see just P, D, N or R.
The sift number I can see in manual mode only.
I searched the cluster display configuration menu, but couldn't find this option.
I guess there is a way to switch the shift number (in auto mode) on the dash via AlfaOBD or ...?

·
Registered
927 Posts
In regular PRND that is all it will show on the dash. In "Autostick" (manual mode) it will show the number of the gear you are in.

Knowing what gear you are in while in regular drive (D) mode can be done by:
1) Watching the tachometer and knowing the RPM correlations to gears, but have to be mindful of whether the torque converter is locked up or not.
2) Popping it into manual mode briefly to check the gear.
3) Read out of AlphaOBD or similar OBDII scan tool software that can display the current gear.

You may not know which gears you are shifting in and out of but if you see the tachometer constantly jumping up and down in RPMs while driving a steady speed and towing, then it is bouncing gears (which is bad if done continuously for a long time).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've learnt on mine that towing at 70mph with cruise control on and a bit of weight in the trailer overheats the gearbox after about 40 mins. Either dropping the speed to 60-65 max or keeping at 70 but controlling on the foot stops it

Had the gearbox at its highest point reach 98 degrees Celsius

It throws up the gearbox light, engine light and start stop. Once I stop the gearbox light goes out but the engine light stays on for about 3-4 more starts but drives fine until it must work out nothing is wrong and clears itself too

·
Registered
927 Posts
1) Don't use cruise control while towing!
2) Are you using autostick to shift manually like I said? Its not just me, the book instructs you to shift manually when towing a heavy load as well.

An 8 foot high trailer is HUGE to be pulling with this car, empty or not you are pulling a ton of wind resistance there, and I suspect it weighs a bit more than the 500kg you think it weighs. You should probably only be using up to 5th gear on the highway with a trailer like that, and 70 is much too fast for this car and a trailer of that size. This car can hardly haul itself over 70 with a roof rack, 70 with an 8 foot high heavy trailer is an absolute no-go.

Reduce your speed, do not attempt to use overdrive gears with that enormous trailer, do not use cruise control when towing. Be very careful because it sounds like you are being really hard on your car. I've managed to haul upwards of two tons with this car for 1000+ miles including some mountains but you have to drive it carefully and thoughtfully to get away with it.

You should probably have a shop flush your transmission fluid, that is at least twice now you have overheated it which is likely breaking down the fluid and going to contribute to a short transmission life but if you get some fresh fluid in there now and be more careful you will probably be OK.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1) Don't use cruise control while towing!
2) Are you using autostick to shift manually like I said? Its not just me, the book instructs you to shift manually when towing a heavy load as well.

An 8 foot high trailer is HUGE to be pulling with this car, empty or not you are pulling a ton of wind resistance there, and I suspect it weighs a bit more than the 500kg you think it weighs. You should probably only be using up to 5th gear on the highway with a trailer like that, and 70 is much too fast for this car and a trailer of that size. This car can hardly haul itself over 70 with a roof rack, 70 with an 8 foot high heavy trailer is an absolute no-go.

Reduce your speed, do not attempt to use overdrive gears with that enormous trailer, do not use cruise control when towing. Be very careful because it sounds like you are being really hard on your car. I've managed to haul upwards of two tons with this car for 1000+ miles including some mountains but you have to drive it carefully and thoughtfully to get away with it.

You should probably have a shop flush your transmission fluid, that is at least twice now you have overheated it which is likely breaking down the fluid and going to contribute to a short transmission life but if you get some fresh fluid in there now and be more careful you will probably be OK.
Good advice and will take that on board

1 - 13 of 13 Posts