My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2020 jeep compass. I notice on the highway the rpms are little higher than normal so decided to switch it to manual. I noticed it doesn't shift into 9th gear. I put it on 9th and notice rpms go down way better gas milage, but notice it has no power if climbing hill and have to shift back. Anyone try this. Any Comments or opinions on this issue??? What's the deal??

·
Administrator
2,283 Posts
Yes, I've tried it. The Compass will not take 9th unless I put it there using autostick. I think that gear is just too tall for the 2.4 Tigershark (Kittenfish) to handle effectively. Maybe if I was going some fantastic speed, but even at 75MPH it loses speed in 9th.

Before I bought my Compass I test-drove a Renegade. I could not get the Renegade to take 9th at 70+MPH, even using auto-stick. I think 9th is just there to complete some equation that satisfies the EPA.

I find I get my best fuel economy right about 60MPH and using neither cruise control nor auto-stick.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was out west semi flat long stretch of road manually place it in 9th gear @ 85mph back into auto, set the cruise and as soon as there was any slight incline in the road it would shift back to 8th gear. So slow down and set the cruise at 75 and so be it. And my trailhawk had overall lower gear ratio than standard compass. Just does not have the power to pull that 9th gear. My 2 cent anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
From our recent experience, our 2020 Compass was always really sluggish. We went on a 2 hour road trip to Nashville Superspeedway and noticed the transmission felt like it would not shift on the way home. We managed to make to my parents at 1 am in the morning and parked it. It started throwing check engine lights and service transmission warnings. A week after we recieved the title in hand and with only 42,000 miles on it, the transmission went out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From our recent experience, our 2020 Compass was always really sluggish. We went on a 2 hour road trip to Nashville Superspeedway and noticed the transmission felt like it would not shift on the way home. We managed to make to my parents at 1 am in the morning and parked it. It started throwing check engine lights and service transmission warnings. A week after we recieved the title in hand and with only 42,000 miles on it, the transmission went out.
Oh no that's not good

1 - 5 of 5 Posts