Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I love the 9 so far

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • I hate my 9

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
As the former owner of a Renegade with the 9-speed and a current owner of a Compass with the 6, go 6 unless you really need/want the all-wheel drive. It's a night and day difference, the same TigerShark engine will seem to have 20 more hp. The 9 is mushy and is really an 8 because it almost never wants to go to 9th gear. The 6 (built by Asin - the same company that builds many of Toyota's transmissions) accelerates better, smoother, and gets better fuel mileage from my experience.

· Administrator
2,389 Posts
The poll choices were limited so I went with the best rating. If it was a 1-10 scale I'd give it a 9. It's given me no trouble so I can't complain, and I've not had a 6-speed with which to compare it. My only complaint that when using the tranny to hold me back while descending a hill there is a significant gap between 5 & 4. However, when accelerating it is quite smooth. It does some gear-hunting when ascending a hill, but all automatics do -- this tranny just has more gears from which to choose. Fortunately, it doesn't do the up & down hopping like those with fewer gears.

I agree with @Robert Wilson that 9th is useless. Mine won't find 9 on its own no matter how fast I go. If I put it in 9th using the auto-stick, the engine can't maintain speed, even at 70+.

So overall I'm happy with the ZF/9-Spd. The biggest complainers are people who thought a 2.4 was going to be a race-car: it is not. However, I find it is more than adequate under normal circumstances.

PS, I never owned a Renegade, but I had one for a loaner, also with the 9spd. Under identical circumstances, the MPG was not as good as the Compass, probably due to the aerodynamics.

· Registered
15 Posts
@Jasmine You say "I can't complain", yet I seem to recall that you like to call the TigerShark engine the "KittenFish". Maybe you're not realizing it, but it's the 9-speed that makes that engine slow to accelerate from a stop or at speed. Don't get me wrong, the TS is not a world-beater by any means, but I bet you'd be surprised how much more spunk that engine has with a better transmission.

· Administrator
2,389 Posts
@Jasmine You say "I can't complain", yet I seem to recall that you like to call the TigerShark engine the "KittenFish". Maybe you're not realizing it, but it's the 9-speed that makes that engine slow to accelerate from a stop or at speed. Don't get me wrong, the TS is not a world-beater by any means, but I bet you'd be surprised how much more spunk that engine has with a better transmission.
Indeed, I've nicknamed the Tigershark the KittenFish. ;)

My only other experience with the 2.4 was the World Engine in a Patriot. While not identical, the Tigershark is an upgrade of the World Engine so they are rather similar, displacement being the most obvious. Performance in both is similar, and both are superior to the performance of the 2.0 in my present Patriot with a manual 5-spd. Every time a transmission shifts there is a brief loss of power, and when it has potentially eight shift points, that makes for a lot of gaps -- individually small, but taken together they become significant. Fewer shift points would make for better performance, but also cost MPG.

One could notch the ZF-9 into a gear which takes everything else out of the equation, and just see what an engine could do. I'm sure the Tigershark with the ZF-9 would blow my Patriot away, even though the Patriot has a manual shift. No way to compare, but I think it would beat my old Patriot 2.4 CVT as well. The CVT has no shift points, but there is a significant lag -- kind of a rubber band effect -- when accelerating.

I think FCA did the best they could with a small engine, beefed up a little, and still make the CAFE standards. Part of the improvement was the valve train, but that proved to be the cause of the oil consumption problem of the early Compasses. I've noticed a significant MPG drop in my 2019 Compass compared to my (late) 2018 Compass. However, the 2018 had the oil consumption problem. There must have been some kind of a trade-off with the update.

I'm sure the TigerShark could do better with a 5-speed, particularly if it was a manual.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think the Honda, acura and chrysler pacifica uses the same 9 speed transmission. They must have fixed the glitches since it first came out.

i just read some issues in some hondas 9 speed. Maybe there are issues but only on a few 9 speeds.

· Administrator
2,389 Posts
I think the Honda, acura and chrysler pacifica uses the same 9 speed transmission. They must have fixed the glitches since it first came out.

i just read some issues in some hondas 9 speed. Maybe there are issues but only on a few 9 speeds.
The important thing to me is durability. So far so good (104,000 miles). I don't see many 9-speed failures on here and owner sites like this is where we'd hear about them.

The early years of the 1st gen Compass had the CVT transmission and those had a lot of problems because the maintenance intervals in the owners manual were inadequate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts