My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a jeep compass 2.4 with the lovely 9 speed transmission. Has anyone gotten up in milage and changed the fluid. I've called 2 or 3 dealerships all said don't touch it. There has to be an interval when to change fluid.

·
Registered
325 Posts
145,000 on my trailhawk. I have not changed transmission fluid. Owners manual says its good for life of vehicle.
My plan is to have it changed by the time I reach 150,000.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Font Parallel Rectangle Document Screenshot

·
Administrator
2,204 Posts
I'm suspicious of lifetime claims on regular maintenance items. The CVT was supposed to go to 120,000 miles before the first fluid change, and many (including my 2008 Patriot) did not make it that far.

Cynically, the "life of the vehicle" is probably when the transmission fails. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello I have a jeep compass 2.4 with the lovely 9 speed transmission. Has anyone gotten up in milage and changed the fluid. I've called 2 or 3 dealerships all said don't touch it. There has to be an interval when to change fluid.
When you say …lovely…, is that a good thing or bad. I’ve heard it used sarcastically often. As in “lovely weather “ when it is stormy. Just not sure how you meant it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm suspicious of lifetime claims on regular maintenance items. The CVT was supposed to go to 120,000 miles before the first fluid change, and many (including my 2008 Patriot) did not make it that far.

Cynically, the "life of the vehicle" is probably when the transmission fails. :rolleyes:
There's no way I'm going 140,000 miles before changing fluid and yes u can drain n fill on jeep compass

·
Administrator
2,204 Posts
It's gotten allot of bad remarks, driving up and down steep hills it does allot of gear searching. It's great on highway..
Yeah, on a hill mine will usually drop down 1 gear then almost immediately drops another. The ratios are probably too close but the plan is for the engine & tranny to always deliver the optimum fuel economy.

I think it's pretty smooth going up through the gears, but descending a hill there is a huge gap between 5 and 4. Makes compression braking almost useless.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's gotten allot of bad remarks, driving up and down steep hills it does allot of gear searching. It's great on highway..
I see. That is the intention of a many speed automatic. To keep the engine in the most efficient RPMs. It should be barley noticeable though. In hilly terrain I shift manual nearly always so I haven’t noticed anything peculiar about it. I don’t understand why they have the shift directions opposite of every other car that I have driven.

So is it a good transmission? Any reliability issues?

I used to drive a Corvair with a TWO speed transmission. Now that was a lovely transmission.

·
Administrator
2,204 Posts
I see. That is the intention of a many speed automatic. To keep the engine in the most efficient RPMs. It should be barley noticeable though. In hilly terrain I shift manual nearly always so I haven’t noticed anything peculiar about it. I don’t understand why they have the shift directions opposite of every other car that I have driven.

So is it a good transmission? Any reliability issues?

I used to drive a Corvair with a TWO speed transmission. Now that was a lovely transmission.
I've not seen transmission reliability be an issue on this site. Mine has been fine so far, but I'm only in the mid 80s. These days a tranny ought to make it past 150,000, even 200,000 miles. I'm only half way there.

My '68 Impala had a 2 speed a/t and it was sweet. I loved that car. Wish I never sold it. It was far more comfortable than anything on the road today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts