My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
850 Posts
Really, I don't know what an automatic transmission is doing in a Jeep. Jeeps won WW2 without any of this modern junk. A Jeep should be bare-bones basic. That means rubber floor mats, manual transmission, wind-down windows, etc.

I miss my '94 Wrangler without all the spiffy gizmos. Just my table-top AM/FM radio plugged into an AC adapter on the front seat beside me. What's not to love?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Really, I don't know what an automatic transmission is doing in a Jeep. Jeeps won WW2 without any of this modern junk. A Jeep should be bare-bones basic. That means rubber floor mats, manual transmission, wind-down windows, etc.

I miss my '94 Wrangler without all the spiffy gizmos. Just my table-top AM/FM radio plugged into an AC adapter on the front seat beside me. What's not to love?
At least you can still get a manual which is what I have. Hard to find one nowadays. It is the reason I bought the Compass.

Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was happy, actually ecstactic when I got rid of my Compass once my lease ended. The ZF transmission drove me crazy. Every morning, backing out of my garage, the car shot out at a high rate of speed. Then, when I put the car in drive, there was a 2 second pause before the car went into drive. Trying to pass on the highway was also challenging because the transmission took forever to downshift. Once it did, the car shot off like a bat out of hell. The ZF 9 speed is a **** transmission. Here is a link explaining many of the issues drivers have with the ZF. Note the link details the problems with the Cherokee and the useless Fiat Renegade but, the Compass shares many of the same problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having a ZF 9 on a Limited.
I encounter very delayed shifting from 1 to 2 during a cold start. i think it only shifts up not before 2.5k RPM unless I shift from 1 to 2 manually then its able to shift ard 2k RPM with slightly longer lag than usual. But its works fine after driving for a just a few mins. any idea why is this happening?

ATF circulation or something?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am having a ZF 9 on a Limited.
I encounter very delayed shifting from 1 to 2 during a cold start. i think it only shifts up not before 2.5k RPM unless I shift from 1 to 2 manually then its able to shift ard 2k RPM with slightly longer lag than usual. But its works fine after driving for a just a few mins. any idea why is this happening?

ATF circulation or something?
You may need to go to your dealer and verify if your transmission software is up to date. If it is, you have to accept the ZF transmission has been plagued with problems since it was introduced in 2014. All the issue drivers are experiencing with this transmission are inherent to the transmission. As you put more miles on your car, you will notice a quick deterioration in the performance of the shifting. Eventually, when shifting between 2 and 3 gear, you will experience a hard shift causing a near whiplash sensation. Somedays, it will shift smoothly and the drive will be somewhat enjoyable (remember, the Compass is a disguised Fiat 500). When merging on to the highway, when you need more power, as the engine screams in terror trying to muster up precious horsepower, the ZF will fail to downshift in to a lower gear quickly. When the transmission finally catches up to the engine RPMs, the car will shoot off like a rocket. If your engine has the oil consumption problem, you can bet the car will eventually stall leaving you on the side of the road wondering why you invested money in this fake Jeep.

·
Super Moderator
84 Posts
...If your engine has the oil consumption problem, you can bet the car will eventually stall leaving you on the side of the road...
Quit spreading this falsehood, the oil consumption issue does NOT cause stalling.

The failure of owners to check their oil level (as stated in the owners manual) and add oil when necessary IS.

I can almost understand how someone can allow their oil level to get low and cause stalling ONCE, after they know of the issue they should know to check and add oil as necessary.

Like the old saying goes: "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me"

·
Super Moderator
84 Posts
Like the old saying goes: "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me"

I am someone who bought a second Compass . . .
I was referring to the stalling issue. After it happens once and you are aware of the problem, if it happens again, you have no one to blame except yourself.

I am amazed at the number of people complaining about running low on oil and stalling multiple times. It's quite simple really: If you know your engine uses oil, make sure you add oil before it gets too low.

·
850 Posts
I was referring to the stalling issue. After it happens once and you are aware of the problem, if it happens again, you have no one to blame except yourself.

I am amazed at the number of people complaining about running low on oil and stalling multiple times. It's quite simple really: If you know your engine uses oil, make sure you add oil before it gets too low.
Very good if obvious advice. Really a no-brainer. I don't think these engines should use as much oil as they do, but regardless it isn't all that hard to check the oil every fill-up -- in fact that's what they told us to do back in my high school driver-ed class.

If we have to add a quart every 2000 miles its a nuisance but not impossible. That's not even $100/ year. Not enough to make me trade my vehicle . . . but I may be reluctant to buy another. This is a problem FCA needs to remedy. Them saying "its normal" may be acceptable to them, but not to me. They can ignore the problem for now but when their sales
sag in 5 years because they have no repeat customers they shouldn't be scratching their heads trying to figure out why!

An oil-burning Compass will get traded early and disappoint the next owner and the next and so on. Each bad vehicle could be alienating several people over its life.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quit spreading this falsehood, the oil consumption issue does NOT cause stalling.

The failure of owners to check their oil level (as stated in the owners manual) and add oil when necessary IS.

I can almost understand how someone can allow their oil level to get low and cause stalling ONCE, after they know of the issue they should know to check and add oil as necessary.

Oh, my you have a lot to learn. It is a known fact the 2.4L engine has an oil consumption problem. And when the oil is low, the car is designed to stall. You complain drivers should check their oil. Sure, this is an easy task but, the oil consumption issue is temperamental meaning it can happen two weeks after an oil change.
And I am not spreading falsehoods. The Compass is a crap car and owners of this fake Jeep need to understand the car they are driving is a dangerous car. The vehicle is an entry level car designed utilizing 20 year old technology from an old Fiat platform.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh, my you have a lot to learn. It is a known fact the 2.4L engine has an oil consumption problem. And when the oil is low, the car is designed to stall. You complain drivers should check their oil. Sure, this is an easy task but, the oil consumption issue is temperamental meaning it can happen two weeks after an oil change.
And I am not spreading falsehoods. The Compass is a crap car and owners of this fake Jeep need to understand the car they are driving is a dangerous car. The vehicle is an entry level car designed utilizing 20 year old technology from an old Fiat platform.

Cute post. Now feel free to back up your post with documentation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cute post. Now feel free to back up your post with documentation.
There is no need for documentation. Oil consumption is well documented on this forum by many posting oil consumption problems. Do you want documentation the Compass is derived from a Fiat platform? If so, there is this thing called Google. Try it.
The problem you have and so many Compass owners on this forum have is you think you have a good car. Many share pictures which is fun but, once again, use the Google tool and you will see the Compass receives dismal ratings from many of the car publications. I spent 22 months driving the Compass and 20 of those months were horrible. Two engine replacements, electrical problems, brake issues, NVH problems (you can also Google what NVH means because I just realized this abbreviation may be above your pay grade) and paint problems. Seriously, how can a car company not match the fascia color to the body color?
So, yes, my post was cute. Now, go drive your little fake Jeep and as the miles increase on the odometer, problems will arise.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There is no need for documentation. Oil consumption is well documented on this forum by many posting oil consumption problems. Do you want documentation the Compass is derived from a Fiat platform? If so, there is this thing called Google. Try it.
The problem you have and so many Compass owners on this forum have is you think you have a good car. Many share pictures which is fun but, once again, use the Google tool and you will see the Compass receives dismal ratings from many of the car publications. I spent 22 months driving the Compass and 20 of those months were horrible. Two engine replacements, electrical problems, brake issues, NVH problems (you can also Google what NVH means because I just realized this abbreviation may be above your pay grade) and paint problems. Seriously, how can a car company not match the fascia color to the body color?
So, yes, my post was cute. Now, go drive your little fake Jeep and as the miles increase on the odometer, problems will arise.
Another cute post! This forum is no reference point. Congrats you discovered Google If you had only found it earlier.
Did you learn about NVH on Google?
Paygrade .. please tell us all about your service, or did you read that on Google as well.
The truth is you have provided ZERO new information ... really Fiat.
BTW my Compass has no problems. Perhaps your issues are operator related.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another cute post! This forum is no reference point. Congrats you discovered Google If you had only found it earlier.
Did you learn about NVH on Google?
Paygrade .. please tell us all about your service, or did you read that on Google as well.
The truth is you have provided ZERO new information ... really Fiat.
BTW my Compass has no problems. Perhaps your issues are operator related.
From Automotive News:
JACKSON HOLE, Wyo.--Although the replacement for the Jeep Compass and Patriot will come from a front-wheel-drive Fiat car platform, Jeep CEO Mike Manley wants to be very clear about its Jeep bona fides and off-road capability.

"Even though the technology and the platform is Fiat, it will be 100 percent Jeep," Manley said. The vehicle, he added, will be developed by "pure Jeep engineers. That's why product stays here in the U.S."

Notice the CEO said technology and platform is Fiat. This alone should make any Compass owner, Renegade owner concerned. Fiat is not known for their quality. As for pure Jeep engineers being part of the development, I can assure you the engineering was not done at the Chrysler Tech Center in Auburn Hills, MI. Design and engineering was done in India and Italy. The car isn’t even assembled in the USA. The Fiat platform or architecture for this vehicle is also used on the next generation Cherokee.
I understand you are merely defending your Jeep Compass purchase. I, on the other hand cannot stand how a Fiat has a Jeep nameplate. While you enjoy your “Jeep” I take pride driving a real American made Jeep Grand Cherokee. With some serious improvements, the Compass can be a good car. But, the current model, yours included, is seriously underpowered, has major transmission problems and electrical faults. It is my intent to continue bashing this car. I actually feel sorry for Compass owners for wasting money on such a crappy vehicle. Feel free to post a reply. I am ending my comments on this thread. It’s not worth it trying to convince poorly informed car buyers the fake Jeep Compass is a piece of junk.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts