My Jeep Compass Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
During the first week of Jan., my dealer called me and said they now wanted to change my radio to solve the disappearing audio problem. This is after they previously were directed by tech support not to change the radio and an order for the radio was cancelled. On Jan 9th, they replaced the radio.
A new problem showed up with the replacement radio, specifically, every time I start the Compass, the radio comes on for 1 - 2 seconds then goes silent and the volume can not be adjusted until another preset station is selected.
On Jan 18th, my wife took off for Florida from the Chicago burbs, the radio lasted longer, but the sound faded at about 90 minutes. Me very concerned about safety concerns…
So… pretty clear they are still fishing for a solution….
As she drove further south, the radio problem disappeared on the 19th.
I fully expect, the problem to return when she gets back north first week of Feb.
As to the software update as a fix, I DON’T BELIEVE IT!!!
With spring eminent, for many of us, the problem will just go away with the warmer weather and we won‘t be able to validate the update viability and will likely be back in the same boat at the end of next fall. Programmers will proudly point to the reduction in complaints…
I’ve been saying it for some time…. You can‘t fix a physical heat vulnerability (climate) with a software update. If it was software, it should have been very easy to track the issue in the code and easy to write a fix, the update should already be out.
Imagine the cost for replacing all the radio hardware……….

I will end with this Chrysler/UConnect…Prove me wrong!!!

· Registered
27 Posts
The amp may have a heat sensor (thermistor?) which it monitors so it will shut down when it thinks it's getting too hot in order to protect the amp. There may be software which controls that. So, Jeep might change the software so it allows the amp to overheat. That way, they'll fail after they're out of warranty.

Can't really blame them for how long it's taking. The intern they hired to fix the software over Christmas break had to go back to school and doesn't have much time to work on it. So, you might not get an update until after spring break.
I am an audio/electronics guy. I worked as a professional SE for years. Most heat protection on audio equipment is located on the power output heat sync and simply switches off the output. One minute it’s on, the next it’s off. I have never seen a configuration that slowly reduces output. Not saying it might not exist, but I’ve never seen it. On the other hand, it is common knowledge that silicone components are susceptible to accumulated heat and begin to break down at temps at or above 160 degree.
Based on the facts, I believe that the hardware must be modified to protect the electronics. No software will accomplish the protection needed.
ironically, the first person to report success on the “Radio” thread indicated the radio had to be operated at a higher setting to get comparable sound level. Seems like some s trying to control the heat by restricting how load you can play the radio. Yes software can do this…
Food for thought…

· Registered
21 Posts
I just got off the phone with Jeep wave and the person, although very nice, had no knowledge of a postponement to the update and still under the impression that the update may be over the air OR have to go to a dealership (which seems to not be the case). You would think Jeep would notify their employees dealing with complaints/service issues/concerns of the postponement for compasses with R17.99 and that the update is over the air only. I also asked if it was all 2022 jeep compasses having radio issues or just a select few and he said it wasnt all of them 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I spoke to a lemon law lawyer who recommended filing for arbitration. They are sending me a template to use and Jeep would have 20 days to respond to fix the issue.

· Registered
93 Posts
Due to Jeeps employee's incompetence and the total runaround and the fact that Jeep won't let their trained technicians install this update for customers, I too have had no choice but file Lemon Law case! Good luck with yours, my attorney says it will take 4-6 weeks to get a settlement!

I also got this update from my attorneys!
Hello,

The manufacturer has not completed their assessment yet. We will continue to follow up with them in an attempt to negotiate a settlement on your behalf.

We will continue to keep you updated until we get your claim resolved.

Regards,
(lawfirm name removed by moderator)

· Registered
17 Posts
During the first week of Jan., my dealer called me and said they now wanted to change my radio to solve the disappearing audio problem. This is after they previously were directed by tech support not to change the radio and an order for the radio was cancelled. On Jan 9th, they replaced the radio.
A new problem showed up with the replacement radio, specifically, every time I start the Compass, the radio comes on for 1 - 2 seconds then goes silent and the volume can not be adjusted until another preset station is selected.
On Jan 18th, my wife took off for Florida from the Chicago burbs, the radio lasted longer, but the sound faded at about 90 minutes. Me very concerned about safety concerns…
I fully expect, the problem to return when she gets back north first week of Feb.
With spring eminent, for many of us, the problem will just go away with the warmer weather and we won‘t be able to validate the update viability and will likely be back in the same boat at the end of next fall. Programmers will proudly point to the reduction in complaints…
I’ve been saying it for some time…. You can‘t fix a physical heat vulnerability (climate) with a software update. If it was software, it should have been very easy to track the issue in the code and easy to write a fix, the update should already be out.

This is so frustrating. I heard they were deploying the fix...still nothing. I hate this vehicle

· Registered
19 Posts
Over on another Stellantis model car forum a security hole was discussed: where thieves could access the car through the forward radar pod and steal it.

Community there got together and came up with a modified bracket. Guy is fabbing it at cost. Problem solved.

Zero talk of lawyering up or returning cars.
No big influx of members for that single issue.
The community came together and solved it.

Compare & contrast ....
I think I can safely speak on behalf of the folks who joined this forum due to the radio issue when I say we are deeply sorry to have infringed on your space, and perhaps some of us will actually stick around after the fact due to your charming personality.

· Registered
19 Posts
I know I have to moderate the site, but I'm cheering for you people with the radio problem. An update should have happened much sooner than it did. Just curious, when did all this start? Only '22s? All '22s or just some?
While I certainly hope the "update" resolves the issue I'm not very hopeful, as I still think it's a hardware issue. Jeep is ABSOLUTELY welcome to prove me wrong, hopefully sometime before the year is over. I'm fairly certain the issue affects all 2022 Jeep Compass models with the Alpine system; the only reason there aren't more complaints is likely due to many owners not regularly being in their vehicle for more than 30 minutes, so as far as they know everything works fine.

· Registered
19 Posts

I couldn't agree more!

· Administrator
2,484 Posts
Another question for those of you who have the problem. Is it only the radio, or does the fading affect media and telephones using blue-tooth too? I'm just curious.

· Registered
19 Posts
Another question for those of you who have the problem. Is it only the radio, or does the fading affect media and telephones using blue-tooth too? I'm just curious.
The volume for the entire unit (radio, phone, nav, voice commands) slowly fades to silence even if the volume is maxed out (38?).

In other words, if you wanted to make a call after 30 or so minutes of driving you would have to turn off the Bluetooth on your phone.

· Registered
43 Posts
. Without volume all the following are not useable

Uconnect voice recognition
Connected phones
Navigation audio output
Bluetooth connected audio
Sirius radio
Assist calling
Android voice recognition
Apple car play voice recognition
Alexa
USB connected devices

and I may have missed a few.

· Registered
3 Posts
I wish I had a volume issue..I have a radio and screen that works when it wants to (usually at 7:00pm) its was working at 11:00am but I took it to the dealer for a proxy aligment and since then now it's 7:00pm. They told me the radio was blown and it would be 1 K to replace. Not sure how a blown radio works after 7:00pm

41 - 60 of 99 Posts