My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is the 5th week of ownership now and its been great so far - we're at 1300km.

I've got a few accessories but this week is the biggest week (bear in mind this is a family car not a cruising machine!) - I'll add pics at the weekend when its all together :)

• Flat moulded Jeep splash guards (rear)
  • Magellan Roadmate 3030LM GPS w/ dash mount
  • Black license plate surround
  • Stubby aerial ($10 rubber item from Canadian Tire)
  • iPad 2 w/ rear facing headrest mount (due Thursday)
  • Hidden Hitch class 2 receiver (being fitted Friday)
  • SportRack Super EZ 2 bike 'platform' carrier
  • Jeep-branded baby items - 2nd rear view mirror, sun screen, seat organiser

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
:cool: Look forwarded to seeing the pictures of all the stuff installed. Especially the iPad 2, does it just hang over headrest or does it actually mount?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CompassMike,

Yeah its a proper mount that attaches to the headrest struts. The best one I found was the CoulVue by TouCoul, which can rotate and even pull sideways to put the iPad inbetween both seats for shared viewing - but that's $105CAD with shipping! TouCoul iPad, iPhone, and iPod Accessories

So I went with a cheaper $30 version from Amazon, which does most of the same but is fixed in place (our son will be the only one using it anyway!)

Its currently late shipping so I might cancel it and order the better one, but pics will be added when its all done!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
iPad 2 arrived but the mount is late! Antenna, license plate surround are on and I got the Hidden Hitch installed and mounted the bike rack today :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Very nice accessories so far, looks great, definitely using your Jeep as it was intended, nice job! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interior

Installed the iPad 2 mount in the rear; added bonus it fits on the dash too! GPS is also in the pics. Neither are wired in as theyre removed when not in use, and I dont do electrics...

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks Good

Looks Good!

What kind of mount are you using for your GPS and does it stay on good and tight on long trips ?

Thanks in Advance,

"G"

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks Good!

What kind of mount are you using for your GPS and does it stay on good and tight on long trips ?

Thanks in Advance,

"G"
I'm just using a dash mounting disc (I wanted it to sit as low as possible so I kept the original windshield mount too) - it's polished plastic and attaches with 3M adhesive backing. Very strong, as good as windshield if not better.

I got mine from La Source but they don't have it listed any more, but it's the same as this :)
Arkon Dash or Console 3M™ Adhesive Mounting Disc (AP036) (Ø 70 mm)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like how/where your GPS is set up but unfortunately for me I think that is illegal in California. I'll need to check to make sure because I do want to add one and your set up is ideal for me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, hope its not illegal here! :)

Is that because of obscuring the view through the windshield? It doesn't though, and its easy to see without looking away from the road too long.

The mounting disc fails in extreme direct sunlight but it works pretty good otherwise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah that's the reason. Here is a little snippet from the CHP website

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.
Doesn't say anything about the dash though...

Once my proclip shows up I'm going to try the GPS navigation app that comes with the phone and see if it's any good.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: I don't recommend this mount, had 2 and they both broke. The clips that grab the headrest struts snapped - the struts are too wide and/or the thing is too cheap!!

I still can't afford the CoulVue mount so I got a $20 case mount that hangs from headrest struts with a Velcro strap - not great but a lot stronger and safer
Scosche backSTAGE p2 Headrest Mount for all iPad Models | iPad Accessories | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

1 - 15 of 15 Posts