My Jeep Compass Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had some extra time before the holiday break to tinker with the airbag cover. I used an allen key instead of a screw driver and after a few minutes of poking and prodding was able to pop off both the right and left sides of the airbag cover. I thought I was finally home free but there seems to be yet a third clip on the bottom. There is another smaller hole, but it doesn't feel the same as the left and right. Also looking at the excellent pictures @jim010 posted confirms this as well. Hopefully someone can get over this last hurdle and get the cover removed. It didn't take much force or effort to pop the left and right side off once I pushed the correct position. I can't seem to see or feel what needs undone in the bottom.
Good luck

·
Registered
165 Posts
Really? Awesome! Keep us posted! I'm ready to switch out the whole steering wheel for a nicer Cherokee wheel!

Soooo close ...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Are you able to show how to pop off the side ones?
I don't know if there is anything I can show. I just used a flat edge tool (like an allen key, or torx, or whatever) to push on what I think is the spring/wire circled in red. Without being able to see what I'm doing with the cover still on, I'm only making a guess as to what it feels like. With a little practice and luck, I've been able to get both the left and right side of the cover to un-clip. But I can't see what is holding the bottom clip in place.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry, no update that I got the cover off. However I was doing some research and according to the owners manual the 2019s+ with ACC mode enabled you can shift gears without disengaging cruise control. Regular cruise still disengages with either brake or clutch, but ACC only disengages with brake (or button cancel). Yet another reason to hopefully get this working on the 2018s.

·
Registered
173 Posts
So to be sure - you went into alfabod and found the option to turn on ACC, yes?
No, I got that information from the user manual. It was also confirmed by the JL wrangler folks with ACC and manual. I still need to figure out how to undo that last bottom clip. I don't suppose anyone else has mad any progress on that front?

·
Registered
165 Posts
What am I supposed to be pushing to get the side clips undone? I'm not entirely sure from the first picture.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wish I could give a better answer, but without being able to see what I'm pressing I can only go by feel. So it seems that I'm hitting either a plastic clip or spring wire. I feel a bit of give and when depressed the airbag cover will unlatch and pop up a bit. I also found it useful, once I got one side undone to insert a trim removal tool, or something under the cover to prevent it from re-attaching while working on the opposite side. If it hasn't been mentioned already, and for anyone else that attempts this. Make sure you disconnect the battery. An accident with the air bag would be costly and dangerous. I might have some time this weekend to tinker again. If I look at this picture while I do it, I might be able to map out better what I'm pushing

So without having done that, this is a total guess, but I THINK this is what I'm pressing on. Slide a flat edged tool like an allen key through the holes on either side (red arrow) and push on the clip (yellow arrow). Again, without being able to see what I'm doing that causes it to unclip i'm only making an educated guess.

·
Registered
165 Posts
That makes sense to me. Will try it myself.

Looks like it should just be those 2 clips. Doesn't look like there is anything else ...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Making more progress! After poking around for a bit, I was able to pop off both the left and right sides again. The bottom was still clipped, but there was a small opening at the top of the cover that I could shine a flashlight and get a look at what I was doing. I was able to discover the trick to releasing the left and right clips. Turns out an Allen key probably isn't the best tool, but a flat blade screwdriver. Attached is a picture and video I took from that small opening showing the process. I'm guessing the bottom clip is undone in a similar fashion, but I wasn't able to feel out or see the release for it.
20200201_160703.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bought an endoscopic camera to try and fish down there to see if I can find that bottom clip. Will update if I make any more progress.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Finally after all these attempts I finally got the air bag cover off! Disregard my previous post about using a screw driver to lift up. That is wrong information.

The best tool would probably be something like a security screw driver (like this https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51uwPmKUmNL._AC_SL1000_.jpg), but an Allen key will work just fine. What you need to do is insert a tool into one side and push on the spring/wire pushing toward the center of the wheel. This will release the clip on the airbag post. See new video below. Might need to click if it doesn't auto play. For the bottom, same principal, but you need to push up towards center of the wheel.

The ACC switch I bought turned out not to fit. It's used on a lot of other FCA vehicles, but not this one. This looks like the correct part for our vehicle:
Speed Control Switch - Mopar (5YL22XSAAC). I'll try and call tomorrow to confirm that this is the one with the ACC buttons and not the blanks. I assume since its the more expensive one, its the one I need. I'll need to wait a few more weeks to get the new part and swap it over before I can test anything. But now that I know how the release mechanism works, it should be much easier.

final wheel location.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
Does anyone have a way to verify the part number for the cruise switch with AAC buttons? I can confirm the one from the Cherokee doesn't fit. I called a parts dealer and they were unable to verify between the part numbers.

5YL22XSAAC
5YL23XSAAC
5YL24XSAAC

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would get a VIN from a 2019 Compass that has it. They should be able to get the part number from that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I might give that a try. I could also take mine apart again since I know how and see what my part number is and remove it from the list. I think the one number is new for 2020.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts