My Jeep Compass Forum banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok. I have working ACC with braking in my 3/2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk with EVERY option from the factory in it. Still have some bugs but it works! Here are the steps I took:

1. Bought 5YL24XSAAC, $40, mopardiscountedparts.com, installed it.*
2. Bought OBDMX+ bluetooth, $100, eBay.
3. Bought Grey HS CAN Adapter, $31, eBay.
4. Bought Chrysler 12+8 Adapter, $22, eBay.
5. Bought ALFAOBD full version, $50, play store.

$250 total......not bad......but I paid 35K for my Jeep OTD. That hurt! Lol!

* this switch has ACC on-off, set distance away, ACC off. Still working on getting the switch with distance closer.

My Jeep does NOT have a SGW so I didn't need the Chrysler 12-8 adapter. Used my Korean, unlocked LG V50 thinq dual screen with ALFAOBD app via bluetooth com link. The app works good. Once you get in, back up your original set up to google drive, exp. below. Then go in and do one (1) change at a time, then prox align, then key off let sit for 15 min, exp. below. I forgot to prox align now I have code 2204 i think. Mismatch and odo flashes all-the-time. Should be able to fix DEV says.

Airbag removal: used a T-25 driver. Push in at 4 o'clock hole with no more than 1-2 pounds of force against what feels like a taut wire while jiggling airbag, same side top till it just pops out a little. Do same for 8 o'clock, B careful not to push the other side back in! Ugh! Once top 2 are out push up in bottom one with a bit more force, not too much!, and rock airbag back and forth till it pops out. I did NOT disconnect the battery AND I did NOT unplug the airbag. Just rest it there, just don't jiggle the wires too much, ignore it and change the switch.

Switch Change: cover plate, philips screw for volume ctrl (use a stubby), 3 mm allen for switch (ball drive helps), all pry out gently with soft tool. It's like a tail light with a pin and rubber socket. Wires in just fine. May want to use floss so fishing in new plug end may be easier. Put it all back together. HONK THE HORN!!

AlfaOBD change: got linked up and into the car, via OBDMX+ bluetooth, system. Once again, once in, I UPLOADED EEPROM COPY OF MY JEEP TO THE GOOGLE DRIVE first! Tools section. Backed out to main screen then I selected Compass, body computer. Then I selected Delphi under the control unit. Connected. Then selected the Fiat icon. Then scrolled all the way down to Car config change. Then i went to cruise control and disabled it, did a prox align, grey cable used here (B patient here!) and let car rest. Then went back in and on the same list (Car config change), scrolled 1/3 down and selected adaptive cruise control. Then selected ACC plus(+), applied the change, did a prox align (be patient with this step, this is where I used the grey cable, AlfaOBD prompts you), key off and let car rest for 15 min.

Good luck and if anyone discovers the part number for the correct ACC switch I'd really appreciate it! It has ACC on-off, dist closer and dist nearer. Not like pics.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Awesome news!!! I recently placed an order for a radar sensor from a junkyard for ~$120, so I'll be trying to add it. Just curious why disable cruise? Why not have both cruise and ACC? Also I want to look into the difference between ACC and ACC Plus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ran the vin with ACC that was posted above, part number for the ACC switch there are 2 options:
5YL22XSAAC ( NHZ - adaptive cruise w/ stop&go) or
5YL24XSAAC ( NH1 - enhanced adaptive cruise, and NH2 - active speed limiting )
not sure what the difference is exactly but hopefully it helps.
I have a non-US spec Jeep Compass... I have the Speed Limiter without the active cruise control. The Speed limiter is to limit your MAX speed regardless of the throttle position... For example, when I have a long trip, I set the speed monitor to 130KM (80 MPH).. I can push the gas as much as I want but my car won't pass the 130KM (80 MPH) whatever I do.. Very convenient when driving on busy highway.. And I think people can simply add the switch and enable the feature via AlfaOBD...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I couldn't get ACC+ to enable with CC enabled. I had to disable regular CC then turn on ACC+. Both regular and ACC+ works as intended so no worries on that. Don't know what just ACC does yet.

With ACC+ activated the car has stop and go. Stops all by itself and once the car moves in front of me I step on the gas and it takes off following the car in front of me. One needs trust when you fly off the freeway to a stop! You are now in the hands of electrons! Lol!

Also, while at a stop with ACC+ on while driving, the brake pedal hums and I can hear a sound like hydraulic fluid bypassing through a pressure relief valve. With continual use of ACC+ in town, one may have to change the brake fluid often.

I would still like to find the part number for the switch that looks like this:

Keep searching and learning! :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Interesting you mention about the brakes, in my research for adding ACC I thought I came across something about the brake booster for 2019. There are 2 parts listed. Might be nothing, but maybe one is for ACC?
68347154AA
68386870AB

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure. I know a brake booster is for manual brakes. The booster uses engine vacuum acting on a diaphragm inside the booster adding extra brake force, lessening needed pedal pressure.

When I'm at a stop and want to go, the brake pedal has resistance along with buzzing until pushed and defeats ACC+. I just defeat ACC+ before stopping.

There may be design issues with older cars that owners upgrade for ACC+. As end users we are in uncharted territory.

I drive to the coast on a 2 lane road often on days off from work and there is always a do-gooder in front of me doing at or under the speed limit in a sinusoidal wave. So, as long as in motion ACC+ works well enough to alleviate these morons' driving habbits on the road for me I'm tickled pink!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I couldn't get ACC+ to enable with CC enabled. I had to disable regular CC then turn on ACC+. Both regular and ACC+ works as intended so no worries on that. Don't know what just ACC does yet.

With ACC+ activated the car has stop and go. Stops all by itself and once the car moves in front of me I step on the gas and it takes off following the car in front of me. One needs trust when you fly off the freeway to a stop! You are now in the hands of electrons! Lol!

Also, while at a stop with ACC+ on while driving, the brake pedal hums and I can hear a sound like hydraulic fluid bypassing through a pressure relief valve. With continual use of ACC+ in town, one may have to change the brake fluid often.

I would still like to find the part number for the switch that looks like this: View attachment 14389

Keep searching and learning! :)
Screenshot taken from the 2021 Compass Owners manual - letting you know what buttons do what... with all these different cruise buttons (since they all look alike more or less with diff buttons) I had ordered one that looks exactly like the one pictured... looks like I got the right one - mine is already equipment with all the monitoring equipment ... however I lack android lol I might have to change that to get this operational - hope this helps
Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 1.48.05 PM.png

·
Registered
21 Posts
Screenshot taken from the 2021 Compass Owners manual - letting you know what buttons do what... with all these different cruise buttons (since they all look alike more or less with diff buttons) I had ordered one that looks exactly like the one pictured... looks like I got the right one - mine is already equipment with all the monitoring equipment ... however I lack android lol I might have to change that to get this operational - hope this helps View attachment 14390
Thanks for the info TheeCleve. You ordered a switch as the one pictured in your post or mine? If so, what part number was it? Also, If you live near me I can help you with the config?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes I ordered the one as pictured, it's part # 6832 1898 AA and that's funny I was wondering the same thing, part of the reason I PM'd you

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes I ordered the one as pictured, it's part # 6832 1898 AA and that's funny I was wondering the same thing, part of the reason I PM'd you
If thats the one I previosly bought, it doesn't fit our Compass. I couldn't even disassemble it to swap over the pieces.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If thats the one I previosly bought, it doesn't fit our Compass. I couldn't even disassemble it to swap over the pieces.
I believe the steering wheels in the compass the renegade and the regular Cherokee are all the same if you got one for a grand Cherokee I bet it is different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
acc buttons compare.jpg
Here is a picture of the Cherokee one on the right with its box and part number behind it. On the left is the original Compass with the ACC blanks. While they look similar, the Cherokee one doesn't fit. I didn't photograph the back, but the mounting points are different as well. If you can get it to work, that would be cool.

·
Registered
34 Posts
View attachment 14391
Here is a picture of the Cherokee one on the right with its box and part number behind it. On the left is the original Compass with the ACC blanks. While they look similar, the Cherokee one doesn't fit. I didn't photograph the back, but the mounting points are different as well. If you can get it to work, that would be cool.
Oh yeah you can see that the first buttons angled different %#^!!!!! I messed up - I knew better lmao I saw other part #’s in this thread or a different one - I’ll have to get the right one

·
Registered
21 Posts
A "parts guy" at the Jeep dealer said to go to the lot, find a compass with the buttons and the trim color match and give him the last 8 of the vin. I'm in good with the "parts guy" so if anyone can do this, let me know the vin and I'll have it ran for the part number. Their lot had no compass' with ACC buttons like we are after. Cherokee is dif as well as others. Needs to be a 2020-21 Compass, perf. a 2021. He ran my vin and the options are all in code with no picture but the stock one. Ugh!! Damn you AFC!! 🤣

·
Registered
34 Posts
A "parts guy" at the Jeep dealer said to go to the lot, find a compass with the buttons and the trim color match and give him the last 8 of the vin. I'm in good with the "parts guy" so if anyone can do this, let me know the vin and I'll have it ran for the part number. Their lot had no compass' with ACC buttons like we are after. Cherokee is dif as well as others. Needs to be a 2020-21 Compass, perf. a 2021. He ran my vin and the options are all in code with no picture but the stock one. Ugh!! Damn you AFC!!
Yeah I did that and Jeep said couldn’t get the switch lmao ... I’ll do it again and get the right switch - matter of fact I’m looking now lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
So I received my radar sensor from a salvage yard. I think I have the part numbers for the lower grille and adapter piece sorted. I'm pretty confident I've found the part number for the bumper beam with the distance sensor mounting plate. The last piece is the wiring harness for the front end module. The parts sites just seem to list about 7 different options, but they don't seem to differentiate what each one is for.
example:

Obviously I need the one that supports the full speed collision option to plug into the radar sensor. Anyone have expertise or the ability to get more information on these parts? I have a sample VIN that would have the correct parts.

101 - 120 of 134 Posts