My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine only has 1 and its activity is controlled by the key being off or on. I would like to install another one that is always hot. Must I run new wires from the battery to the plug or is there another access port, so to speak, where can run always hot wires to the plug?

Tks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guessing these would come straight from the battery and fused? Would seem there might be a connection place inside the cab but ...?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Guessing these would come straight from the battery and fused? Would seem there might be a connection place inside the cab but ...?
that would be the safest way to do it. Right of the power distribution box input stud I were I would go for. I'd have to look at the TIPM (which is the PDB) to see were. No acid corrosion that way. The fuse it right there 30A then run to where you want I guess.

I put one in the rear of my Grand Cherokee, although it had a knockout for a socket but the wire was not in the factory harness. Its handy having one in the rear for air compressors, lights and 12 coolers in tow. I have not see any such knock out in the Compass. Depending on what you're using it for you can fuse it again at or near the socket at a lower amperage say 15A. The first fuse it to protect from shorts and damaged wire to chassis ground so as not to char and cause a fire. The 2nd matches the expected load but don't go above 20A. Odd are the wire won't handle it for any length of time ad 12 gauge is the min you'd use anyway, heavier is better.

I would highly refrain from tapping into any other live circuit since most is monitored by the TIPM and blowing it would in turn blow you day. If you do for a cell phone charge or GPS only then pick the highest Amp one you can and fuse you output low, very low 2 Amp max while 1.5Amp would easily handle all of them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To suppliment, the MOPAR rear camera kit I installed was designed to tap into the "Cig Lighter" on the center console for power. So that seems to be a secondary point Jeep Engineers seem to have concluded a safe access point all things considered.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, appreciate the imput

1 - 6 of 6 Posts