My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if i read this on here or on the caliber forums but there was a oem airbox mod which involved opening the box and removing the plastic piece inside that directs the air to the rear of the box.

well last weekend i did the mod, i ripped the inner piece out and threw it in the bush lol along with it i removed the "battery cover" section of the air system. and i couldnt believe the difference in throttle response. litterally half the amount of pedal to casually drive away from a red light. i imagine its close to an aftermarket cai in response.

to be noted while on full throttle the modded intake system is loud as fcuk. but i hightly recommend it. let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you talking about the easily removable black plastic part that goes overtop the battery and connects to the air filter?

Can you be a little more specific about what you did to the thing? Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I can't remember what my stock air box looks like. I think I'll have to pull it out to see the deflector.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as with alot of threads no fun untill theres pictures

Step one remove this piece

Step 2 open the air box, reach into the right half and remove this piece ( just plastic tabs holding it in place no tools required)

Step 3) put the air box back together and enjoy.

i found better results with the front section over the battery removed as well. in the final picture you can see the air has a more direct path to the filter :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Devil's advocate here!:rolleyes: It seems to me if the engine company design engineers figured out that these two plastic parts were vital to allow the engine to run at optimum efficiency, wouldn't removing it put something else out of kilter and cause problems later on?

It appears to me that the first part is some kind of "tuned" chamber not unlike the speakers in a "Bose" sound system.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i love devils advocate skyeye ;)

engineers have to accomplish alot of goals with a vehicle to appeal to a wide selection of the market. my thinking is that the "tuned chamber" is to dampen the sound. because the modded setup is quite loud. and i believe i read that smokey01 made 205hp with an cai and a custon exhaust. in theory thats 33hp over stock by freeing the air flow on both ends by sacraficeing the "dude, is your compass even running?" lol

if anyone tries this mod and doesnt like it just put the pieces back together :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
yes i love devils advocate skyeye ;)

engineers have to accomplish alot of goals with a vehicle to appeal to a wide selection of the market. my thinking is that the "tuned chamber" is to dampen the sound. because the modded setup is quite loud. and i believe i read that smokey01 made 205hp with an cai and a custon exhaust. in theory thats 33hp over stock by freeing the air flow on both ends by sacraficeing the "dude, is your compass even running?" lol

if anyone tries this mod and doesnt like it just put the pieces back together :)
Does this throw any CEL codes?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Shecky, I pulled a 2500lb trailer for around 2 1/2 hours, through 2 valleys with a head wind. The engine temp never got above 90 Celsius, and I could travel at 110 KPH (68MPH) no problems while getting 12L/100K (19.6 MPG). My buddy with his dodge ram 1500 mega cab with his 5.7 hemi pulling his trailer couldn't make it over 80 KPH (50MPH).

·
Registered
176 Posts
After removing the piece I definitely noticed that it takes a lot less pedal to get the jeep going. I did notice a slight improvement in take off. and it is a little louder (the air whooshing in ?). Pretty cool little mod tho. I left the battery piece on, but I expect that without it u would again get better throttle response along with a relative increase in that intake volume. then again, ppl say the K&N CAI is loud as well...each to his own I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Interesting mod there, never would have thought about that, but I see it kinda the same way as a CAI in that while you're getting more air in essentially letting the engine "breathe" better, I would mod the exhaust also to make it freer flowing and less restrictive than the stock setup. I think you would definitely see some performance gains as one mod would compliment the other, IMO.

- Cherokee

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
yup cherokee my magnaflow kit should be installed next weekend :)
Nice, I definitely want to hear the results after that install!!! :D

- Cherokee

·
Registered
57 Posts
I took out the smaller piece inside the air box and noticed the engine does sound different - not sure if there is a noticeable power change though. Driving around without the battery cover provides a very noticeable sound change which I really like. I would also agree that without the cover there was a much better "off the line" feel.

I put the battery cover back on for now and will be trying to build one of these for the Compass: Caliber Forums - Air Intake Nozzle Mod.

The Compass design will have to be different than the Caliber design, as the Caliber's battery cover is a straight piece from the air box to the clips on the battery cover. The Compass's headlight placement is in the way, so the Compass's battery cover is offset about two inches from the air box input to the cover clips.

That does make it a tad bit more difficult, but I think I can make it work. Once I get a working cardboard model I'll post some pics - then hopefully I'll be able to fab a real one up!

·
Registered
57 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Interesting set up there shmup-o. I'll be curious to see how it works out for ya'! :)

- Cherokee

1 - 20 of 75 Posts