My Jeep Compass Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I might give this a shot I just got my Compass today though, so I'm a little hesitant to fcuk it up yet. :D
I am running stock. Note earlier modders comments. The noise level increases noticeably. This is not the quietest engine as it is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i did this mod and 2 be honest i don't feel a diffrence at all, can't hear the diffrence either could be, cuz my sterio system it hits prety hard

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
If there is an air restriction it would affect millage as well. However if not only a large diameter intake (ram - ing more air in) ram air will make a detectable difference and improve fuel economy as well. I doubt the design would be that restricted since its the simplest thing for them to do to increase MPG.

I am stock on that as well.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
yay another sucessful free mod performed :)
How does it feel Shecky?

Every time I see that Avtar of your engine cover, it looks hot!!!

Hmmm I might end doing that one day. S h a r p ! Yes Sir.:p

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Did you say engine cover..........?????

Here you go ..........a different version

Love that red...........it freaks any mechanic opening the hood !

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Hot

Wow does that look clean or what. Sharp yeah and that what I am talking about.

Oh, washer fluid a tad low. LOL no matter that RED is sparkling.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts

Wow, just wow, that looks sharp and I bet it does take the mechanic back a bit, sure not expecting to see that, but it looks great! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't know if any of you guys have taken a look at the 2011, but the air box is a lot different. I noticed on Shecky's that the airbox opens up sideways and had that little shroud inside to direct air to the back of the box. The 2011 does not have that shroud and the box opens up from the top and has a couple of plug things on top with a warning to not take them off.

Here is a picture of it I found online. 2011 Jeep Compass Engine Photo 10

I have not taken mine apart yet, but I did remove the intake and I have not really noticed any difference in the take off, but it does sound louder and like it has a bigger engine.

I wonder how the performance of the older Compass is to the new?

·
Registered
176 Posts
like the idea but wondering if those air chamber clogging the air is meant to keep debris out like water?
Do you mean the little shroud inside the air filter chamber or the assembly that takes in air from under the hood and goes over the battery?

That shroud does not exist on the 2011's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the assembly that takes in air from under the hood and goes over the battery...that's the part that's being removed in this post that i am questioning. i figure that thing prevents stuff getting into the filter, no?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Water won't go up and the intake is usually where it cannot get the full ram air type of force where it will even enter the intake. As for the cables and connectors above the air box mentioned. Jeep now for some reason chose to move the PCM (computer) on top. maybe to to keep modders from using K&N intakes LOL. There has been a lot of discussion in auto forums on K&N and most agree that those oil filters allow more dust and grit into the engine. If you're keeping it for a long time or high millage its not the way to got in my opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if i use the mopar intake...would that help? I didnt know aftermarket intakes let in more dirt that would damage the engine.. i thought they were just better filters with a noisemaker attached to it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
if i use the mopar intake...would that help? I didnt know aftermarket intakes let in more dirt that would damage the engine.. i thought they were just better filters with a noisemaker attached to it.
My opinion install AEM dry cone air filter in the OEM air box like I done.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My opinion install AEM dry cone air filter in the OEM air box like I done.
Have you noticed a difference in performance or anything and what year Compass do you have? I think the air filters are different on the newer Compass' than the older ones.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Have you noticed a difference in performance or anything and what year Compass do you have? I think the air filters are different on the newer Compass' than the older ones.
I test drove a 2011 a few months back now and did not find the performance better than mine. In fact I would say it was a tad noisier engine. Maybe because of the different air box. I was curious and wanted to see visually if there were any engineering improvements. Other than the obvious skin I couldn't see any other changes. Now whether it gets better millage that something else. Mine in soso and nowhere near the advertised ratings.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I test drove a 2011 a few months back now and did not find the performance better than mine. In fact I would say it was a tad noisier engine. Maybe because of the different air box. I was curious and wanted to see visually if there were any engineering improvements. Other than the obvious skin I couldn't see any other changes. Now whether it gets better millage that something else. Mine in soso and nowhere near the advertised ratings.
So if there are not any changes other than the front fascia for the most part, that means that I could get a catback exhaust for the older compass and it should work just fine? I wonder if the Rally body kit would fit the 2011?

I have been averaging about 26mpg. Mostly backwoods country driving at 55mph and some city driving.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
the engine is the exact same, so there isnt any more performance. the Cold ain intake kits will not work unless you relocate the ECM that is attached to the 2011 airbox. Rallye body kit will definetly not work in the front due to the new look. as for the sides and rear i am not sure, but why put skirts and a rear bumper on without the front bumper. And as for exhaust it would depend on the rear bumper, they changed the shape of it and it seems to come down a bit further, you would have to get under a new one and an older one and measure spacing between the muffler and bumper, then you could judge if a cat-back exhaust kit would be able to fit.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts