My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... od=63-1552

hmmmmmmmmmm???

A sister product to our 57 Series FIPK, our 63 Series Intake Kits or AirCharger® Intakes are built for many different vehicles and represent a dramatic improvement over a K&N O/E replacement filter alone. They enjoy a faster speed to market than our 57 Series kits due to their pending CARB status. These intakes use only non-metallic rotationally molded tubes that can reduce intake air temperature and decrease intake sound over a metal tube. Restriction can exist BETWEEN an air filter and the engine reducing the benefit of a K&N Air Filter. The weakest link in the airflow "chain" robs a vehicle of its natural horsepower. Often that weak point is the factory air path leading to the Engine. K&N Air Intake Kits virtually eliminate air path restriction by replacing the air filter and the entire air path to the engine. The aerodynamically engineered tube drives a massive amount of air into an engine, which translates into POWER. 63 Series Intake Kits are not legal for street use in some U.S. states

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've used them in a couple of my old cars and was pleased (My old mustang GT specifically)

The punchiline is that the K&N filter has like a bazillion mile warranty, so It can be washed and cleaned rather than thrown out and purchased a new.

1 thing to mention, the sound of the motor is louder with these than a stock airbox.

Many people opt for a simple "drop in replacement" filter instead of a cold air intake system for what its worth.

I'd think about doing that and a catback exhaust on our compass. :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
well covered topic

K&N, MOPAR, and other Cold Air Intakes, plus cat-back system are covered at nauseaum on http://www.caliberforums.com and are worth reading because these are identical 2.4L to the Compass.

Summary of what I have read:
1. Yes, the CAI is "significantly" louder to most people and may decrease pleasure of driving. Then again it may hide the CVT whine.
2. No one has posted serious (documented) mpg or hp benefits of either CAI or cat-back. Most reports are no improvement or a loss of mpg. Difficult to dyno because of CVT. Assume K&N tested a manual trans.
3. These Cold Air Intakes are actually located & pointed at the rear of the engine compartment, thus pulling in warmer (hot) engine air (see "hot air intake" posts), which is a contradiction in design intention & minimzed gains. Point is to pull/duct cold air from the outside of the vehicle. Even the large plastic barrier won't keep much warm air out if there is not cold air in the engine bay.
4. These do eliminate difficult access to the stock air filter (PITA!)
5. The stock size K&N filters (not the cold air systems) do pay for themselves because you don't have to spend $12-16 on replacement filters.

To each their own. I love my CAI on my truck, but don't think I'll opt for it on my Compass, but I may pull that battery cover plenum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts