My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
As it turns out I have had this problem for quite a while!
I have spent the last year or so without any heat in the cabin, I have changed the coolant, flushed the system, flushed the heater core (water flows freely through it).
The two pipes on the heater core get very warm, the bottom one red hot and the top one hot but only just able to touch it.
I have invaded the HVAC unit with an endoscope camera, the flaps all seem to be moving up and down when selected and the airflow changes when different settings are chosen.
Today I was under the bonnet looking for a minor water leak when I noticed the pipes from the air con pump were freezing cold (even with condensation on them) and the pump keeps cycling on and off, also recently the air con pump has been making some screeching noises first thing in the morning!
I was under the impression that the pump should only be running when the air con is turned on, but mine seems to be going all the time!
Could this be the reason why I have cold air inside the car, because the air con is actually always on?
I am really at a loss now of what else to do, I am not in a position to used the main stealers as I really cannot afford it, at the same time I am not looking forward to another winter of driving in minus temperatures with no heating!
As always I am grateful for any help or ideas that you guys might have!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is the knob set to defrost? The air con will also turn on when set to windshield defrost.

Try setting the air direction to only the front vents and see it it blows hot air.

I’ve had the blend actuator motor get stuck a few times and I would not get any heat. I gave it a tap and it worked again. Worth a double check.

There’s also the cabin filter, a dirty one could restrict airflow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the info.
The defrost option makes sense, although I have now disconnected the power supply temporarily.
The blend actuator - is it the one near the two silver pipes running past it? If so, this one is working fine.
I have taken out the cabin air filter, admittedly the flow picked up a lot but still no hot air!
The electric pre-heater is working fine.
Still no hot air, the best I get is warmish (like someone breathing on you).
I am wondering if there might be a blockage somewhere after the exchanger, just not sure how to get in there!
Am still suspicious of the water pump, but surely if the pipes are getting hot it must be pushing water around the engine?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, the blender door is visible from under the drivers side. I guess, it does sounds like your cabin heater core is partially clogged. I've never attempted to flush one but I've seen videos where they blow water through both pipes. You could cut both lines and pull the heater core, flush it or replace it. Then use rubber coolant lines and clamps to put it back together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the blender door is visible from under the drivers side. I guess, it does sounds like your cabin heater core is partially clogged. I've never attempted to flush one but I've seen videos where they blow water through both pipes. You could cut both lines and pull the heater core, flush it or replace it. Then use rubber coolant lines and clamps to put it back together.
Thanks again for getting back to me, I am guessing this is the next step, don't really fancy it now as it's getting chilly here but then if I leave it I'll regret not doing it lol
I'll keep you posted on what happens!

:plain:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts