My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I really care at this point about the Jeep but the air conditioning in the Compass is flat at best. There is absolutely no bite when you turn it on. Just flat air (no bite, not really all that cold to begin with even set at low). In SouthEast Michigan we have been in the Mid to Upper 90's with 80% plus Humidity for the last two weeks and whether you auto start the car with the air blasting for 20 minutes idling or if you are driving it for well over an hour it never gets below 75-80 degrees ambient temperature in the cabin.

You are better off shutting the air off and opening the windows and praying for a miracle you get some sort of breeze. My wife has made several complaints about it while doing her Shipt runs.

I drive a 2011 F150 5.0 V8 4x4 and a 2002 Mustang GT and the air requires me to shut it off after 5 minutes it gets arctic cold. I've brought up to the dealer and they said it's full of refrigerant and operating as it should. I put a temp probe directly in the vent and it reads 58 at the lowest but when you get another reading about 12-24 inches from the vent it's only showing 70-75 degrees at best.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Interesting my compass feels rather cold. Although one of my ram 1500s suck with the AC and the dealer can’t fix it. Five times in too.

Lemon law?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Air in My Trailhawk does not work very well either. I just recharged my sons 2004 focus and his air is now ice cold. Compass Cool at best.
So it will be going into the dealer sometime next week if I can get it in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We have had some pretty warm weather here the last few weeks (at least 26 every day peaking at 30 most days) and I have no complaints about the air con in my Compass so defo a good idea to let the dealer have a look

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have to say the AC and heat in our compass is just fine as long as I turn off the start stop which most often off anyways I just forget sometimes. If I forget to turn it off from the get go then just say screw it on a hot day the temps pick up pretty quickly at longer redlights then I end up reaching down to hit that stupid switch. Please FCA devise a way that lets us override that crap unless we turn it on!!!!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I keep the auto start stop off on hot days and it just not that cold. The heat seems OK. We have all the vents open. I have brought it in for AC, it's documented.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well I keep the auto start stop off on hot days and it just not that cold. The heat seems OK. We have all the vents open. I have brought it in for AC, it's documented.
I feel the same way you described in your original post. The AC in this Jeep is pathetic.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I feel the same way you described in your original post. The AC in this Jeep is pathetic.
I thought I was the only one that felt this way. The Fusion I had before this Compass had great air, great internal stowage, great pickup and was pretty fun to drive. I don't hate my Compass, but FCA should have put some better thought/engineering into this vehicle.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The AC in ours is more than good enough for me. It may be worth pointing out it uses that new crap R1234yf-whatever-whatever-happy-happy-ozone garbage refrigerant so I don't know for certain if its necessarily so much worse than R134a but it is different (and explosive/flammable, I hear, but so much better for the environment... =D )

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I was the only one that felt this way. The Fusion I had before this Compass had great air, great internal stowage, great pickup and was pretty fun to drive. I don't hate my Compass, but FCA should have put some better thought/engineering into this vehicle.
This car was a rush to market. Just a collection of parts from the FCA parts bin that made the Renegade, Cherokee and made this Blasphemy of a SUV with a Jeep title. It's no surprise they are talking about a refresh on a two year old car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had my dealer look at mine as well and they say it it working correctly, but never feels very cold. I have also had it blowing just hot air on max ac and recirculation that seem to have been glitches.

·
Registered
20 Posts
People should test drive the car before purchase and test the air conditioning radio and other gadgets . Test drive a car to see if it has enough power to meet your needs. Do research on the dealer of the car you want to purchase to see if they are trustworthy .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not to high jack this thread, but has anyone else got this little guy to pop up? he first appeared two weeks ago on start up and we couldn’t operate anything on the touch screen. had to turn off the car and restart then all seemed good until this week. Now he pops up almost every time we start the car but quickly disappears with no adverse effects … mike 58* seems barely adequate ...

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
People should test drive the car before purchase and test the air conditioning radio and other gadgets . Test drive a car to see if it has enough power to meet your needs. Do research on the dealer of the car you want to purchase to see if they are trustworthy .
I couldn’t agree with you more. However, I bought mine in December when it was freezing so I couldn’t exactly test the air conditioning. grin:

·
Registered
202 Posts
My air conditioning worked great the first summer, not so well now. I have owned my Compass Trailhawk since May of 2017, Now with 35,000 plus miles and 1 transmission repair when the vehicle had less than 100 miles and 1 transmission replacement at 5000 miles. Along with other issues. This vehicle does not give me the same driver confidence that it gave me like it did with those first few test drives before the purchase.

·
Registered
50 Posts
as a reference, ours was set on fan speed #2, recirculate button on, set at 61* vent temp 40-45* outside temp this morning 82* . my 2012 Colorado CrewCab set on fan speed #2, recirculate button on, knob set at "cold" has a vent temp around 50* with outside temps in the 95*+ last week, both are cold enough for us

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
I hear what you are saying, however, I bought mine in February in Michigan. I bet the AC works really well in Michigan in February.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fan speed is OK, but no cold air.
The AC dont have power enough. It's 92F here, and the only way to improve it is keep the car in the shade.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts