My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

We've got around 5,000 miles on the Compass already! :D So far no issues besides that little engine mishap.

Anyhow, we were wondering when the air filter needs to be changed?

I know on every car/truck it is different because of where it gets the air from. Like I notice on the Compass it draws it in from the front, where as my F150 and Dakota draw the air in from the sides. Say for my F150, the manufacturer recommends changing it at 15,000 miles... but sometimes it is still clean.

I haven't really looked at the air filter yet, but I did give it an oil change, and the engine oil looked good, which is a plus! :D

We just don't want it to go too long. But I am looking for a general guideline for this particular engine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Air filter change is different for everyone. Usually what you do is, at every oil change, you remove it and shine a good light through it. If you can't see the light (or not much of it) on the other side of it, you should replace it.

Use a good light source directly applied to it, like a 60+ watt bulb like mechanics use when repairing under your vehicle.

Basically, it all depends on where you drive. Driving in winter, in sandy/rocky roads full of dust and others will likely have you replace the air filter at less than 20,000 kilometers other kind of "clean air" driving will likely yield better mileage before replacement.

RedVortex

By the way, it takes about 2 minutes to replace and only a few bucks at the local Canadian Tire or auto parts store near you. Much cheaper than having it done at your dealer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts