My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dear little Jasmine came to an ignominious end when another driver drove into us. :crying: Totaled. On the bright side, no one was seriously hurt, only some nasty bruises. I'm amazed at the technology behind all those airbags, and I've got to say I believe these vehicles are safe.

While I've complained about the oil consumption, I've otherwise liked this vehicle. She was just starting to develop a personality. Will I buy another Compass? We shall see -- largely depends on what the insurance company pays out.

Regardless, I'll still be checking in here once in a while.

·
Registered
228 Posts
glad you ok! wish we could buy some parts off the wreck but alast...

Hope the insurance company does right by you and you guys are not at the end of this holding a pile of ruined metal not money to get somthing new :(

Reactions: Jasmine

·
Registered
54 Posts
sorry to hear about the accident and most importantly no one was seriously hurt. glad to know all 8(?) airbags did their job. hope it all works out for the best

·
Registered
970 Posts
Happy to hear the airbags work and that no one was hurt!

I wonder what I would do if I were in your shoes... My wife and I tend towards the "better the devil you know" attitude, but if our little devil was wiped out in an accident I'd have to think long and hard before seeking out another of the same type...

We've bounced off the limits of the capabilities of our Compass ever since we got it, likely we would take the opportunity to step up to something larger if we could swing it. Honda Passport or Chevy Blazer RS, likely, as these options were not on the table back when we bought our Compass.

Will be interested to hear what you decide to do (and why). Surely a prime feather in the cap of owning a Compass is the continued active membership here on this fine cesspool of a forum :devil:

·
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your good wishes.

The amazing thing is the damage doesn't look all that bad. The expense is all those airbags: everything up front plus the right side airbags. Really our bumps and bruises are all from the airbags. We both got it pretty bad in the legs, and I got a mark on my arm probably from the steering wheel airbag. This thing will be a wealth of parts in a junkyard.

On the other hand, if they fixed it up I'd still be concerned that the airbags might not be done right and God forbid I had another collision would they work?

It is a 2018 with 40,000 miles on it and got about $3000 more than I owed on it -- basically a down payment for another. This is probably the first time in my life I'm not eager to go car shopping. :( I'd hoped to get 10 years out of it. Barely got one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just wondering did your Compass have a spare tire? I called a few junk yards in my area without any luck. Im still mad at myself for not making that part of the deal when I bought it.

·
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wondering did your Compass have a spare tire? I called a few junk yards in my area without any luck. Im still mad at myself for not making that part of the deal when I bought it.
No, it did not. I appreciate your frustration. If I buy another Compass it will have a spare. I'm thinking of getting the tow package and a spare comes with that package.

·
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your condolences on my loss.

Today will be a day of insurance paperwork, cleaning her out of all the "stuff" I carry around with me, and then reluctantly car-shopping. Since we're approaching the end of the model year I'm considering toughing it out for awhile and ordering something new from the factory just the way I want it, even if I have to wait. I don't want to just buying something off the lot that's loaded with options I don't want and lacking those that I do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you all for your condolences on my loss.

Today will be a day of insurance paperwork, cleaning her out of all the "stuff" I carry around with me, and then reluctantly car-shopping. Since we're approaching the end of the model year I'm considering toughing it out for awhile and ordering something new from the factory just the way I want it, even if I have to wait. I don't want to just buying something off the lot that's loaded with options I don't want and lacking those that I do.

Glad to hear that you’re ok ... that’s what I did with my ‘18 Limited... I built it and started looking a dealerships around the country that had exactly what I wanted because I was in a similar situation needing a new one after an accident.

Finally found her in Glen Mills, PA (Philly) and flew in and drove her back .... she is missing zero options.

She has them all lol

Good luck with your search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Glad to hear that you’re ok ... that’s what I did with my ‘18 Limited... I built it and started looking a dealerships around the country that had exactly what I wanted because I was in a similar situation needing a new one after an accident.

Finally found her in Glen Mills, PA (Philly) and flew in and drove her back .... she is missing zero options.

She has them all lol

Good luck with your search

Your front fascia and rear fascia color does not match the body. Yes, I understand I am commenting by looking at a photo but, look closely when you get a chance....you will see the fascias do not match. FCA claims the color mismatch is within tolerance but, this should not happen. Now that I brought this to your attention, you will notice every white Compass has discolored fascias.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your front fascia and rear fascia color does not match the body. Yes, I understand I am commenting by looking at a photo but, look closely when you get a chance....you will see the fascias do not match. FCA claims the color mismatch is within tolerance but, this should not happen. Now that I brought this to your attention, you will notice every white Compass has discolored fascias.
That’s because they are different substrates .... SMC vs Metal panels - lot of silvers, pearls and light colored metallics will do this on EVERY vehicle - former ASE/ICAR refinish technician so you’re preaching to the choir - that’s the way all of them are regardless make or model

·
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I see this thread has come back to life. I guess I should bring it up to date.

I decided to buy a 2019 Compass off the dealer's lot. We added our 2011 Wrangler to subsidize the down payment.

The 2019 has more options than I wanted and its a lackluster gray color so I named it Sparkles -- you can read my rants about the lack of color selection elsewhere on this website. I've got 18,000 miles on it now and so far no problems except the start/stop goes on the fritz every time it gets even close to zero F -- that's one device I could happily live without. On the bright side it doesn't use a drop of oil and it doesn't make the grinding noise my 2018 did. Overall fuel economy seems to be 1-2 MPG better than my 2018.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That’s because they are different substrates .... SMC vs Metal panels - lot of silvers, pearls and light colored metallics will do this on EVERY vehicle - former ASE/ICAR refinish technician so you’re preaching to the choir - that’s the way all of them are regardless make or model

Considering your credentials and knowledge regarding the paint discoloring, have you noticed this problem more prevalent now as opposed to years ago? I just took delivery of a 2020 Grand Cherokee and there is no discoloring. I see the discoloring more on the Compass, Dodge Journey, Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200. The discoloration does not appear as noticeable on the foreign brands. Regardless, I think the autos need to correct this issue because the discoloring cheapens the look. I had my 2018 Compass fascias repainted and the body shop matched the color perfectly. Huge difference

·
Registered
27 Posts
Considering your credentials and knowledge regarding the paint discoloring, have you noticed this problem more prevalent now as opposed to years ago? I just took delivery of a 2020 Grand Cherokee and there is no discoloring. I see the discoloring more on the Compass, Dodge Journey, Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200. The discoloration does not appear as noticeable on the foreign brands. Regardless, I think the autos need to correct this issue because the discoloring cheapens the look. I had my 2018 Compass fascias repainted and the body shop matched the color perfectly. Huge difference
It comes down to colors really, and you also have to consider they spray so many colors for so many years that even when the pipes get cleaned with thinner other color remnants remain therefore altering future colors - when you look up a paint code you get the standard batch plus a bunch of variations because of all this and because all bumpers are sprayed separately from the vehicle it could be a more common occurrence along with the fact the substrates different and that throws a different shade when it’s initially painted but when you paint over paint that substrate variation is no longer in effect yes, so there’s many variables that go into this

Especially with factory finishes some are really egregious - and if you ever see it on a new vehicle prior to buying it you make that part of the deal

·
Registered
41 Posts
It comes down to colors really, and you also have to consider they spray so many colors for so many years that even when the pipes get cleaned with thinner other color remnants remain therefore altering future colors - when you look up a paint code you get the standard batch plus a bunch of variations because of all this and because all bumpers are sprayed separately from the vehicle it could be a more common occurrence along with the fact the substrates different and that throws a different shade when it’s initially painted but when you paint over paint that substrate variation is no longer in effect yes, so there’s many variables that go into this

Especially with factory finishes some are really egregious - and if you ever see it on a new vehicle prior to buying it you make that part of the deal

Thank you for sharing your knowledg.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts