My Jeep Compass Forum banner

221 - 240 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi,
Still trying to understand this alphaobd fully.
But I bought the paid version and the obdmx adapter in order to disable my DLR out warning light. I swapped out my halogen bulb to OEM HID. It's for 2018 trailhawk.
First I changed the xenon headlight to Enable and it asked me to do the proxy alignment. After completing several ones, it stops and asked me to connect the grey cable. I thought obdmx is the only one you need if the security bypass is not required.
I do not have the cables yet so couldn't proceed. And as expected was greeted with all sorts of lights on the dash including the odo flashing. I reverted the chage and did the proxi alignment again- it got stuck with the warning to connect grey cable. I locked the car and let it sit for 30 mins. The errors were gone for now.
So the question is- do I need the grey cable? I went this far, does that mean I dont need the security bypass?

Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi,
Still trying to understand this alphaobd fully.
But I bought the paid version and the obdmx adapter in order to disable my DLR out warning light. I swapped out my halogen bulb to OEM HID. It's for 2018 trailhawk.
First I changed the xenon headlight to Enable and it asked me to do the proxy alignment. After completing several ones, it stops and asked me to connect the grey cable. I thought obdmx is the only one you need if the security bypass is not required.
I do not have the cables yet so couldn't proceed. And as expected was greeted with all sorts of lights on the dash including the odo flashing. I reverted the chage and did the proxi alignment again- it got stuck with the warning to connect grey cable. I locked the car and let it sit for 30 mins. The errors were gone for now.
So the question is- do I need the grey cable? I went this far, does that mean I dont need the security bypass?

Thanks.
Yup Grey Cable is required. Sadly

·
Registered
69 Posts
Aah.. So I will try again once I have the cables.
Also, I noticed the check engine light blinks for few times and then stops( steady lit up) once the ignition is ON. If I start the car, it goes away. Haven't driven the car yet. I had the ECU config mismatch error after the proxy alignment failed which I cleared. Another error which said, ecu cant reach brake module ( or something like that ). This all came after the proxy alignment.
The blinking check engine light when I start the ignition - is it normal ? I forgot what it used to be.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I don't think its normal for the CEL to blink, probably something is still screwed up from doing a couple partial proxy alignments. You need the grey cable for certain and possibly the blue/purplish blue one as well depending on the year and the options.

Go back and study everything carefully again because the current situation you are in should not have happened, you definitely didn't read enough in advance if you didn't know you would need the cables. AlfaOBD can royally screw up a lot of stuff and it is not intuitive and has absolutely zero idiot proofing or safeties built in. It will not stop you from messing things up beyond its own ability to repair them and if used improperly it can potentially corrupt some of the modules beyond repair.

You have to be really, really careful with that software and very patient and methodical about trying things out when you change settings, make 100% certain you know your path back to stock/how to undo things you have changed, keep close track of what you change, keep a copy of your original settings and continue to make copies of your config as time passes as the developer keeps adding new stuff that wasn't there before. Any time more than a month or so has passed since you made a backup of config you will want a new one to keep up with changes and new bits he is adding.

Never change more than one setting at once. Don't skip steps during proxy alignments. Make sure you have lots of time on your hands for the car to be down if it goes awry. Keep your batteries charged if you can as they seem to run low fast just sitting in a driveway milling through settings. Don't try to change anything stupid that is obviously not related to your particular car,

I've narrowly dodged several bullets messing with AlfaOBD and the end result was worth it but its still a super sketchy and risky product IMO.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think its normal for the CEL to blink, probably something is still screwed up from doing a couple partial proxy alignments. You need the grey cable for certain and possibly the blue/purplish blue one as well depending on the year and the options.

Go back and study everything carefully again because the current situation you are in should not have happened, you definitely didn't read enough in advance if you didn't know you would need the cables. AlfaOBD can royally screw up a lot of stuff and it is not intuitive and has absolutely zero idiot proofing or safeties built in. It will not stop you from messing things up beyond its own ability to repair them and if used improperly it can potentially corrupt some of the modules beyond repair.

You have to be really, really careful with that software and very patient and methodical about trying things out when you change settings, make 100% certain you know your path back to stock/how to undo things you have changed, keep close track of what you change, keep a copy of your original settings and continue to make copies of your config as time passes as the developer keeps adding new stuff that wasn't there before. Any time more than a month or so has passed since you made a backup of config you will want a new one to keep up with changes and new bits he is adding.

Never change more than one setting at once. Don't skip steps during proxy alignments. Make sure you have lots of time on your hands for the car to be down if it goes awry. Keep your batteries charged if you can as they seem to run low fast just sitting in a driveway milling through settings. Don't try to change anything stupid that is obviously not related to your particular car,

I've narrowly dodged several bullets messing with AlfaOBD and the end result was worth it but its still a super sketchy and risky product IMO.
Thanks for note.
I read the Jeep user manual and it seems the blinking check engine light while the ignition is ON, indicates the emission not readiness. It blinks and then stops. If I start the car, it goes away.
And I read about changing one setting at a time and let the car sit idle for some time. Also I am using a trickle charger. I'm not doing anything unless my grey/blue cables arrive. And yes, you are right- I will have to read a lot of other forums.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks for note.
I read the Jeep user manual and it seems the blinking check engine light while the ignition is ON, indicates the emission not readiness. It blinks and then stops. If I start the car, it goes away.
And I read about changing one setting at a time and let the car sit idle for some time. Also I am using a trickle charger. I'm not doing anything unless my grey/blue cables arrive. And yes, you are right- I will have to read a lot of other forums.
I didn't read all of the posts but with proxy align just watch everything closely when it is going it is very common for it to fail at the ABS module and have ECU mismatch. Sometimes it will fail than not show any codes and start fine, DO NOT JUST DRIVE IT. I have done this and my side markers on the right side of my car didn't come up and the brake lights worked but the lights on didn't work on the taillights.

It can fail multiple times, don't get discouraged just keep going through it. It will work at some point, I think it gets progressively worse the more you mess with it. At least in my case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will only change the "Connected Services" option on my 2019 Jeep Compass.

Currently, I have the ODBLink MX bluetooth.
My car is an European model so security gateway is not installed.

At this point, I kindly ask if I need any grey cable for "proxy alignment" after changing "connected services state from "disable to enabled"
But I read from above, better to have all cables in hand, not to face a "fault blinking lights"

·
Registered
69 Posts
After failed proxy alignment process, as I stated earlier, I reverted the changes and so far it's working good. No blinking lights or any problems whatsoever.
I am waiting for the grey cables( ordered the 3 cables to be on a safe side).

·
Registered
25 Posts
thanks for valuable info, luckily I also found it locally. Maybe international shipping is an option.
otoeko.com

Fiat MultiEcuScan 6’lı Kablo Seti | Araç Arıza Tespit Cihazı | otoeko.com

They are also selling micropod II, around 300 USD. I do not know anyone using this device, Witech Micropod 2.
otoeko.com

Fiat Yetkili Servis Araç Arıza Tespit Cihazı wiTech MicroPod 2 | Araç Arıza Tespit Cihazı | otoeko.com

Moreover, one of forums has a significant notice:
"When I do this (proxy alignment), automatic gearbox not programmed properly."

I hope that this is not an issue in AlfaOBD.

·
Registered
69 Posts
thanks for valuable info, luckily I also found it locally. Maybe international shipping is an option.
otoeko.com

They are also selling micropod II, around 300 USD. I do not know anyone using this device, Witech Micropod 2.
otoeko.com

Fiat Yetkili Servis Araç Arıza Tespit Cihazı wiTech MicroPod 2 | Araç Arıza Tespit Cihazı | otoeko.com

I think the automatic gear box issue was because of Renegade body computer that was selected. I am not sure, but seems like earlier there was no compass support in alphaobd.

·
Registered
240 Posts
By chance does anyone have some form of list explaining what each of the options are/mean?
Most of them are self-explanatory but some are trial and error. Since it is not supported software by FCA it is always going to be trial and error and feedback we do here.

I will warn to not do it too much as I have had a BCM replaced already. Not sure if it was because of this or something else, just be careful from doing a lot of proxy alignments to the system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
otoeko.com

otoeko.com

Where did you buy from finally ? Mine is still stuck at the Chicago customs. It was coming from UK.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Most of them are self-explanatory but some are trial and error. Since it is not supported software by FCA it is always going to be trial and error and feedback we do here.

I will warn to not do it too much as I have had a BCM replaced already. Not sure if it was because of this or something else, just be careful from doing a lot of proxy alignments to the system.
I think my BCM is going haywire too. My Compass radio (bluetooth) now turns on when I unlock the car. Anycall i have will auto connect to the car and will put audio thourgh the speakers even trough the vehicle is off an radio screen is off. Second my compass from time to time refuses to open the door locks with the fobs and i have to manually open with the key. And the Vehicle will resetit self after the ignition is on or off.. Or maybe we just have faulty BCM >??? Who knows

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a European Model, I am somehow confident that SGW not installed. However it is not the case.
I physically located in under the dash, and any change request thru Alfaobd gives below error. I am using OBDLink MX, but I guess due to SGW, only readonly access avail.

However, I could read the system status and faults. At this point, I kindly ask before installing the SGW bypass module, did you face same or it was not possible to connect or read data?

Moreover, as vendor informs, AlfaOBD will show if SGW installed or not on next revision.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
As a European Model, I am somehow confident that SGW not installed. However it is not the case.
I physically located in under the dash, and any change request thru Alfaobd gives below error. I am using OBDLink MX, but I guess due to SGW, only readonly access avail.

View attachment 13660

However, I could read the system status and faults. At this point, I kindly ask before installing the SGW bypass module, did you face same or it was not possible to connect or read data?
View attachment 13661

Moreover, as vendor informs, AlfaOBD will show if SGW installed or not on next revision.

Thanks in advance.
What is the unit you are using to connect with?

221 - 240 of 261 Posts