My Jeep Compass Forum banner

241 - 260 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the obdlink mx bluetooth and trying to modifiy the parameters in the BCM. I physically located that SGW, it is installed above the pedals behind the steering wheel accessories.
Due to SGW, any change was not possible. I ordered the Autel 8+12 cable, waiting it to arrive.

Moreover, AlfaOBD android APK has recently been updated to check the connection with Security Gateway to whom are not sure for their 2018 Compass etc.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Finally I got the Blue and Grey adapters. Before changing any parameters, I wanted to make sure the cables are good, so I connected the blue cable between the car OBD port and the OBDMx- it connected to the modules which required blue adapter. However, I could not connect to the modules which requires the Grey adapter. During proxi alignment, I remember it asked for the Grey cable and I am afraid it wont connect to the module and will fail. Any advice ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Finally I got the Blue and Grey adapters. Before changing any parameters, I wanted to make sure the cables are good, so I connected the blue cable between the car OBD port and the OBDMx- it connected to the modules which required blue adapter. However, I could not connect to the modules which requires the Grey adapter. During proxi alignment, I remember it asked for the Grey cable and I am afraid it wont connect to the module and will fail. Any advice ?
You can connect to the ABS Module using the grey module. You only will be able to use the cable to connect to the modues that require th grey module. Not the BCM. The blue cable is you have OBDMx I think its not required. You just have to set up AlfaOBD to have OBDMx Bluetooth and thats it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can connect to the ABS Module using the grey module. You only will be able to use the cable to connect to the modues that require th grey module. Not the BCM. The blue cable is you have OBDMx I think its not required. You just have to set up AlfaOBD to have OBDMx Bluetooth and thats it.
Then I think the Grey cable is faulty. I can not connect to the ABS module using the Grey cable+ obdmx. It does not connect at all.

·
Registered
239 Posts

I never get it to connect manually. But in proxy alignment my gray cable works. just remember sometimes the proxy alignment fails. For some reason we still don't know why it does this. I still think it has to do with how the software works and how it writes to our BCM. I would really like to know how this software works and changes our stuff.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I never get it to connect manually. But in proxy alignment my gray cable works. just remember sometimes the proxy alignment fails. For some reason we still don't know why it does this. I still think it has to do with how the software works and how it writes to our BCM. I would really like to know how this software works and changes our stuff.
So when alfsobd prompted to change the cable to grey cable,I connected it but it never resumed the proxi alignment and tried connecting.
Are you saying,even if you were unable to connect to other modules manually via the grey cable, during proxi alignment it works?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought the oblink USB. While dinging the proxi alignment it was able to write to several modules, prompted for Blue cable and it further continued writing via the Blue Cable. Then it prompted for Grey cable and terminated. It wasn't able to establish the connection with the grey cable. I am not sure if it's the Cable or what. I repeated several times and same results. Fortunately I was able to revert the change and redo proxi( till where it failed). Car working properly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I still can not connect to via the Grey cables. This is second grey cable I bought from the seller as referred by most of the forum members ( UK seller).
I don't know if I am doing anything wrong. My bluetooth MX works, blue adaptor works ( Uconnect, Radio etc modules). But the grey never worked. Am I doing anything wrong ?
2018 Jeep compass trailhawk.
Note- I am able to modify the settings and while applying the proxi alignment during cable swap to grey cable, it fails. When I manually try to connect to ABS, Airbag etc modules via Grey cable, it does not work. And I think that's the reason it fails the proxi alignment as it tries to write on those modules.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
I tested my gray cable and was able to connect to the ABS module without issue. So at least you can rule out the current version of alfaOBD. For what its worth my cables are labeled "iDiagnostics". That was the seller name/company on ebay as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I tested my gray cable and was able to connect to the ABS module without issue. So at least you can rule out the current version of alfaOBD. For what its worth my cables are labeled "iDiagnostics". That was the seller name/company on ebay as well.
Hmm.. I got the cable from the same seller and it says "iDiagnostics" too.
Mine is 2018 trailhawk. Yours ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I decided to take the plunge into AlfaOBD. Like some have said before, I wish there was a separate section on the forum for diagnostic software, OBD2 devices, ECM mods, etc. I am going to be waiting a few weeks for everything to arrive in the mail before I can try anything.

I have been reading all of the AlfaOBD posts I could find on this forum, this particular thread being the longest. I also tend to research things on a couple of Renegade forums on the high chance that they have figured out something first. Here is a long thread by some ram owners which might give us some ideas, such as how to make a backup of your factory settings:

·
Registered
22 Posts
one quick info. Alfaobd has recently been updated in order to have a search function in BCM options and more importantly "proxy tools" (such as exporting the original proxy config to file and restore.

·
Registered
239 Posts
one quick info. Alfaobd has recently been updated in order to have a search function in BCM options and more importantly "proxy tools" (such as exporting the original proxy config to file and restore.

View attachment 14004
Great... But does it work and how does it do a proxy align. Is it the same way the dealers do it? These are questions we need answer because somthing is different and it doesn't fit so great with all our compasses.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Okay, I got all of my supplies in. Has anyone installed the "double bypass cable" that AlphaOBD says is necessary to get around 2018+ security updates? I bought the double bypass, and the instructions are for a Dodge Charger with a trunk mounted battery, I think. I've also got all of the colorful cables and two different OBD2 modules. And AlphaOBD software for PC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, I got all of my supplies in. Has anyone installed the "double bypass cable" that AlphaOBD says is necessary to get around 2018+ security updates? I bought the double bypass, and the instructions are for a Dodge Charger with a trunk mounted battery, I think. I've also got all of the colorful cables and two different OBD2 modules. And AlphaOBD software for PC.
Honestly, the 12+8 bypass cable feels like it would cause less potential problems down the road and is dead simple to install. On the 2020 all I did was lay on the driverside floor, and looking straight up into the footwell you can see the module/plugs plain as day. The first time I popped it in it took maybe 2-3 mins, now it's a 30 second process.

With that said, tapping into any one of the various star connectors is a tried and true method that is applicable to most FCA cars. Not to mention it's far more discreet than having a 12+8 cable hanging down.

For anyone who is shopping for an Alfaobd / multiecuscan OBD2 adapter, make sure to avoid (for now) the BBFLY GX / Vgate Vlinker MC/MC+ devices. While they are damn near 1:1 hardware clone of the older revision 2 Obdlink mx (even reports running stn1151 v4.3.2 firmware!) along with supporting all of the same at/st commands (along with their VT commands :love:) Alfaobd doesn't have the correct initialization commands to get it to work properly.

Weirdly it'll access anything that requires the blue adapter but nothing else no matter what you set in Alfaobd's adapter config. It's quite tragic as this adapter can be had for as little as $30 and has a technically superior instruction set that allows for something like 50-60+ completely user configured can protocols, down to custom iso rules. (there is a datasheet on the bbfly site under the downloads area with all the info)

I'm sure someone out there that is more knowledgeable than I am when it comes to using an elm327 clone via command line would be able to figure out how to get it configured for Alfaobd. Hopefully, by making this post (and therefore adding a couple more google results with actual info about this device) it inspires someone to take a closer look at the seemingly first solid obdlink mx clone. I'm fairly confident that if I can get the obdlink firmware update tool to stop crashing that it could be flashed to a 'real' obdlink at the expense of losing the VT instruction set.

241 - 260 of 260 Posts