My Jeep Compass Forum banner

161 - 180 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Hi, guys! Very interesting thread, I am following it from the beginning and thinking about to join.
Just one question, if you don't mind:

- In my country all 2018 Jeep Compasses engine power had been rated down (restricted) till 150 hp due to optimize local taxes.
What do you think - is it possible to delete this restriction via AlfaOBD?

Thank you!
Do you have the 2.4L tigershark engine? This is what my engine is set to "Engine Type: I4, 2.0L (Diesel) FamB TD (135 & 165 HP) (EBT)/2.4L Tiger Shark 185hp" I do see an option for "speed limiter" Mine is set to not enabled. Not sure if the demo version can dump the BCM (i think?). But if you can dump the BCM, then you can see what options are configured on your vehicle. Then its easy to compare to one of ours that isn't restricted to see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
875 Posts
serg102 said:
- In my country all 2018 Jeep Compasses engine power had been rated down (restricted) till 150 hp due to optimize local taxes.
What do you think - is it possible to delete this restriction via AlfaOBD?
Depends on how they have actually done this. I would assume you simply received a physically smaller motor, rather than a large one neutered by software.

Software will not turn a 1.3L engine (or whatever you have) into a 2.4 obviously. I have seen no options in the modules that lead me to believe software is used to control max power output. (on an almost unrelated note, there isn't even an option to raise the rev limiter...)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Depends on how they have actually done this. I would assume you simply received a physically smaller motor, rather than a large one neutered by software.

Software will not turn a 1.3L engine (or whatever you have) into a 2.4 obviously. I have seen no options in the modules that lead me to believe software is used to control max power output. (on an almost unrelated note, there isn't even an option to raise the rev limiter...)
Yeah I agree, probably a smaller engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The engine is Tigershark 2.4L I4 gas.
I know exactly that the power is limited via soft in the ECU.
The same procedure is used on other cars (Ford, Mazda, Subaru etc.), all their engines power limited till 150 hp programmly. And some of them can be "overwritten" to get rid of that.
So I hope I'll manage to do the same with my engine via AlfaOBD!

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
875 Posts
serg102 said:
Can't be, can it? They would have simply put their 2.0 motor in it and called it a day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Gasoline_Engine#2.0_2 As that motor is already in the right power range for the legal limit.

There is nothing in AlfaOBD in the engine module for the tigershark that mentions max power output or limits in that manner. There is a speed limit but that is a vastly different concept than a power limit.

Are you playing a joke on us serg102? When I google something like "Russian car engines limited horsepower" there are no results about this idea.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I know exactly that the power is limited via soft in the ECU.
The same procedure is used on other cars (Ford, Mazda, Subaru etc.), all their engines power limited till 150 hp programmly. And some of them can be "overwritten" to get rid of that.
So I hope I'll manage to do the same with my engine via AlfaOBD!

Thanks for your replies.
That is one of the strangest ways of software locking an engine. How does it even work? Does it limit how much the engine can rev, or change the compression or air/fuel ratios?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Thats crazy. Well I am sorry to say I cannot find ANYTHING in any of the modules in AlfaOBD that seem to have anything to do with this power limiting. You can easily check the demo version of the app yourself and try to find it, nothing is hidden in the demo version it just doesn't work to write configuration to the car.

I do feel like AlfaOBD is missing many possible configuration changes though, stuff that I would expect to see such as rev limit and tire size are not there currently.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thats crazy. Well I am sorry to say I cannot find ANYTHING in any of the modules in AlfaOBD that seem to have anything to do with this power limiting. You can easily check the demo version of the app yourself and try to find it, nothing is hidden in the demo version it just doesn't work to write configuration to the car.

I do feel like AlfaOBD is missing many possible configuration changes though, stuff that I would expect to see such as rev limit and tire size are not there currently.
Ok, I guess you are right. I need some kind of engine "chip tuning" or something like that, I don't know... Not AlfaOBD.
Thanks a lot and good luck!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I finally received my replacement unit. Hooked it up and navigation fired right up. I did a proxy alignment for good measure, but everything is working. I must of just got a bad unit the first time.

Successful upgrade from 7" to 8.4" with NAV.

·
Registered
875 Posts
n4cr2k said:
Awesome! Can't wait for the detailed write-up, might have to do that myself if the dealer doesn't replace my fried radio. It has been 10 days now with fun vertical lines smeared across the screen. About 3 times in 30+ drives it has briefly come out of it but then I shut it off and the next time its all messed up again. More rounds of resetting the radio and unplugging the batteries did nothing. The AlfaOBD developer sent me the update today to set reverse camera brightness back to true original settings but it did not help (didn't figure it would, but for posterity wanted EVERYTHING to be back to stock settings before I bring it in).

Going to try to make time to get into the dealership soon and see what we can do. If they won't help me, going to need the details on where to get one of those 8.4 units with nav and the configuration required to set it up!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I finally received my replacement unit. Hooked it up and navigation fired right up. I did a proxy alignment for good measure, but everything is working. I must of just got a bad unit the first time.

Quickly stalks for 7" screen... :hay:

Either way would love a step by step, so when I ever get my car back I can upgrade :)

K

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Maybe I'll start a new thread with the write up. In retrospect, its really easy and straight forward. I was on a wild goose hunt with my defective unit. But I do know how to spot a bad NAV unit now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Did you buy the Nav unit from the dealer or did you get it from a wrecked Compass?
I bought it from infotainment.com. At the time they were the only place I could find that had it in stock. Now I see them on ebay and various junk/scrap/salvage yards.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
YIKES! It is just a little pricey. LOL
Yeah, they were the only game in town. Plus I wanted support if something went wrong (or I got a bad unit). The price did include the bezel and free shipping. I bought it during black Friday, so I got an additional discount. The final price came out to be +/- ~$100 from what it would of cost as a factory option. But they don't offer the manual transmission with 8.4 NAV. The price may have went up too from when I purchased?

Knowing what I know now, buying it elsewhere is definitely cheaper, and probably doesn't have too much risk now that we have the tools and know what to do.

161 - 180 of 212 Posts