My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my fiancé has a 2017 jeep compass. Yesterday all of her power windows stopped working. Later in the day she turned her vehicle off came back a little while after and they worked, briefly, then they would not roll back up. Lastly she got them to work and now they are up and will not come down again. Will not roll up nor down. Anyone having this issue? I’m assuming since it was working intermittently, it wouldn’t be a fuse. I’m thinking maybe it’s the Window lock button that may be malfunctioning? Maybe an electrical problem but it’s a relatively new vehicle. She takes care of it for the most part. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on all controls?
and do check the fuse, just in case
Yes on all controls. I figured if it was a fuse it would be either blown or not blown it wouldn’t work intermittently. But I will check the fuse when I get home today.

·
Registered
442 Posts
my fiancé has a 2017 jeep compass. Yesterday all of her power windows stopped working. Later in the day she turned her vehicle off came back a little while after and they worked, briefly, then they would not roll back up. Lastly she got them to work and now they are up and will not come down again. Will not roll up nor down. Anyone having this issue? I’m assuming since it was working intermittently, it wouldn’t be a fuse. I’m thinking maybe it’s the Window lock button that may be malfunctioning? Maybe an electrical problem but it’s a relatively new vehicle. She takes care of it for the most part. Anyone have any ideas?
Hello Chris,
We regret to hear about your recent concern that has recently occurred in your Fiance's Jeep. Unfortunately, our team is not mechanically trained so we cannot confidently answer that question for you. With that said, I kindly recommend contact your certified dealer about this as they will have the appropriate tools to answer your question. If you decide to go this route, please know our team is available throughout that process.
Laura
JeepCares

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes on all controls. I figured if it was a fuse it would be either blown or not blown it wouldn’t work intermittently. But I will check the fuse when I get home today.
Thank you
Hello Chris,
We regret to hear about your recent concern that has recently occurred in your Fiance's Jeep. Unfortunately, our team is not mechanically trained so we cannot confidently answer that question for you. With that said, I kindly recommend contact your certified dealer about this as they will have the appropriate tools to answer your question. If you decide to go this route, please know our team is available throughout that process.
Laura
JeepCares
I’m looking through the owners manual and I cannot find anything about a fuse for the power windows. Anyone have any ideas on location and whether it’s a 10 amp or 15 ?

·
Super Moderator
124 Posts
There were two types of Compasses for 2017, is your fiancées a 1st generation or the 2nd generation?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you tell which one it is from these pictures?
View attachment 13488
So I found out what the problem was. Actually my fiancé noticed when she was washing her car.It was the wire harness on the drivers door hinge. The rubber was getting kinked and smashed inside the door. Never had that happen on any of my vehicles. She noticed when the door was open the windows worked, then she sat in her car and close the door and they stopped working. So she open the car door and it worked again. She thought that was pretty random. So she played with the door open and closing it several times and the problem was the same. So she fiddled with the wire harness and how it works. This was on the same day that she was taking it to jeep for service. So we saved ourselves, most likely, quite a bit of money on dealer fees. Yes!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I found out what the problem was. Actually my fiancé noticed when she was washing her car.It was the wire harness on the drivers door hinge. The rubber was getting kinked and smashed inside the door. Never had that happen on any of my vehicles. She noticed when the door was open the windows worked, then she sat in her car and close the door and they stopped working. So she open the car door and it worked again. She thought that was pretty random. So she played with the door open and closing it several times and the problem was the same. So she fiddled with the wire harness and how it works. This was on the same day that she was taking it to jeep for service. So we saved ourselves, most likely, quite a bit of money on dealer fees. Yes!!
Sorry I was using voice to text. So some of the words aren’t complete like “closed” and “opening.”

·
Super Moderator
124 Posts
Thanks for reporting back, it may help someone else who has this problem.

It sounds like there is a broken wire in the door harness, I had a similar problem will a different vehicle, in the end I had to repair the broken wire to permanently fix the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for reporting back, it may help someone else who has this problem.

It sounds like there is a broken wire in the door harness, I had a similar problem will a different vehicle, in the end I had to repair the broken wire to permanently fix the problem.
Yeah I’m definitely hoping it will help someone else in the future. Yeah I think the wire is pinched/almost completely broken. I noticed last night the window didn’t work because the door was open partially. It now works when the doors are closed or when the Driver door is to a certain point.

Later today I’m going to pull the harness off and check. It just seems like it’s shorting out within the harness.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts