My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Jeep Compass 2.4L with 4WD. The stock alternator has gone bad which I believe is a 120 AMP. I figured I'd upgrade while I was at it since I have added HID Lights and heated seats (among other things such as a system, off road lights, etc.). Well I spent the better half of the day trying to get the alternator back in (thanks Jeep BTW) and finally decided to compare the old one to the new one (120amp vs 140amp). Everything was the same except the circumference/diameter. The old one was around 15.125" in circumference. The new one being at 16" in circumference. What gives??? Can this truck not be upgraded to the 140 amp alternator that's offered? Any ideas? Thanks. JDJEEP123

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have not read anyone trying it.
There is a video posted here or rather photos as I recall of the process to get the alternator out and likely in. Its tight in there for sure by all accounts from others who've sweated over it. There was a process of rotating a certain way to accomplish getting it out of the cavity.

As stated in another thread. This vehicle does not much which is easily serviceable. The placement of the alternator is a glaring example. It should be at the top as it is in every vehicle I have seen and owned in the past. Rarely does the Power steering pump or AC compressor need to be removed.

I did not know a larger alternator existed although for 20A its not worth it. Check with the parts source maybe you got the wrong one or there is another casting w/140A.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts