My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 COMPASS TRAILHAWK
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
very soon after I got my 2018 Compass Trailhawk I started looking for info on mods and people sharing tips about their fondness for the model, or possibly looking for help with the occasional problem. instead it seems like the majority of the other people here have found the page while looking for a place to complain about the model which brings me to my question: am I one of very few that likes my Compass, wants to add some modifications to it and isn’t having problems with it?
Wheel Tire Jeep grand cherokee Vehicle Photograph

·
Registered
223 Posts
Same here. 2018 Latitude with 65k miles and climbing. Have debated on selling here lately just due to the market, but idk what I'd get... It would probably end up being another Compass

Reactions: Mudflap

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Compass Latitude
63 Posts
I love my Compass. Our Compass was bought to be the family AWD vehicle for these NY winters, well also because my inlaws got in a accident while borrowing my Chrysler 200 to pick up my son from daycare.

Only complaint I have is sometimes when pumping gas it shuts off the pump like the tank is full within seconds of pumping. I know we don't have a Wrangler and can do insane off road mods but honestly I wouldn't do that stuff anyway.

I bought some Weather tech mud flaps, replaced tires with Pirelli Scorpion ATRs, bought OEM cross bars + Thule roof basket, U-Haul hitch installed, plan to get skid plates and make myself a low profile roof rack with some light bars.

·
Administrator
2,283 Posts
Sites like this draw lovers and haters. Some people think they are complaining directly to the manufacturer. Then there are people like you who don't have problems and enjoy playing with it. For my part, I just drive a lot of miles and I'm satisfied with the machine. Now it's in the 70,000 mile range and I'm starting to like it. We really haven't bonded yet, however. I'd say I've bonded with about 1/3 of the 25 vehicles I've had. By "bonding" I mean the vehicle develops a personality, or has proven itself to be extraordinarily capable in some respect.

E.g., my FWD 2008 Patriot was a dazzling snow car and got me through a couple off-road situations a FWD vehicle shouldn't have been in, so it became a dependable friend. Buying my first car was a rite of passage so it will always be special. My '68 Impala was the most driveable car I've ever owned -- glorious in its simplicity, I looked forward to my trips to and from college. There was my '93 Cutlass that I used more like a truck -- heavily loaded over rural roads while I built up a route I could pass off to a delivery truck: "we" were successful!

My Compass hasn't made any such accomplishment, but if it gives me another 75,000 trouble-free miles, we might be getting close.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 18 latitude. No complaints other than I don’t have remote start 😂 I had a love/hate relationship with my 08 patriot. Mostly because it was abused and had evidence of a backyard mechanic working on it lol. I went from a Neon to a caliber to a patriot to my compass… so I really didn’t change much haha

·
Registered
2018 COMPASS TRAILHAWK
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m not saying I haven’t had a small issue or two, but that can be said for every car ever made. I have addressed them here looking for guidance, but there seems to be more hate than love in this group, oh well, I’m pretty stoked and I’m hopeful that I remain stoked.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’m not saying I haven’t had a small issue or two, but that can be said for every car ever made. I have addressed them here looking for guidance, but there seems to be more hate than love in this group, oh well, I’m pretty stoked and I’m hopeful that I remain stoked.
Oh I saw the Clash in '78. I was never that keen on London Calling though. Still liking the Compass still trading words with Fiat though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi All and Merry Christmas. As mentioned earlier, all mechanical devices will do things we don't like sooner or later, and these Compasses are no exception.

I bought my 17.5 used with about 70k shown, and now it had about 123k on the clock. The only things mechanical I had to replace...so far, is the front sway bar links, and changed out the plugs.

The only quirks it has (and had when I bought it it), is the mystery 18 to 25 mph drive line shake (which nobody can figure out), of which I did not detect on the initial test drive. It has not got any worse, and I have "kind of" gotten used to it. I does have the occasional 5th gear clunk, and the 45 mph "whirring" as the rear end starts to freewheel, but knowing they are not hurting anything and are considered "normal" for this chassis (after all it is the first model year).

It also came with rattles in the air bag curtain area, (of course next to my ear). The passenger rattle is only when it is cold out (30's and below).
These as far as I am concerned are minor problems. All in all, I still enjoy driving this buggy all around. It is my DD, which I drive 86 miles round trip to work and back.

I never had the oil consumption issue, even thought the dealer did the recall anyway when I had it in for an oil change. It still gets at least 26+mpg al the time. I never been able to hit the 30mpg they claimed.

I have done a decent amount of "mods" , from wheel spacers, mud flaps, LED lighting, interior trim added, exterior striping. I was tossing around the lifting mod, but being it seems the other "problems" I have with the car, are with the added on items, like LED failure. Adding a lift would possibly be another thing to go wrong, or things around it associated with the lift. Besides, it is a Limited, lifting a Trailhawk would be more suited, I feel anyway.

Bottom Line, when this one wears out, I'll not be hesitant on buying another.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.