My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my sports radio, but I've noticed that my AM reception is especially bad, compared to my previous car. A lot of dropouts and static in typically good areas. I just got this 2017 in oct. You think if I take it into the shop, they'd be able to fix it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
There may be a problem with antenna or antenna wire. Bring it into the shop, they should fix it.
Btw do you have any issues with FM reception?

·
Registered
927 Posts
My guess is that very little money was spent developing and using good parts for the AM functionality of the radio. There are many, many ways to cut corners on building an AM/FM radio. If your dealer is local, might be worth swinging in there and checking to see if the reception is similar in other Compasses sitting on the lot and my guess is they probably will be similar. Not impossible to think you could have a loose antenna wire or something but I think its much more likely they just went to a cheap digital receiver not expecting many people to actually use it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess is that very little money was spent developing and using good parts for the AM functionality of the radio. There are many, many ways to cut corners on building an AM/FM radio. If your dealer is local, might be worth swinging in there and checking to see if the reception is similar in other Compasses sitting on the lot and my guess is they probably will be similar. Not impossible to think you could have a loose antenna wire or something but I think its much more likely they just went to a cheap digital receiver not expecting many people to actually use it.
Do you think this is something that I can fix myself?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I don't know, from what I have read the antenna on the Compass is actually removable, assuming it encompasses both the FM and AM antenna you could potentially replace it (but I have no idea what with). Thats IF that antenna has anything to do with the AM reception. You could pop it out and see if your AM reception changes as a simple test... because believe me if I were the engineer and they were asking me if I thought anyone gave a crumb about AM reception I would have said "nah probly not, I'll just put a 3 inch coil of copper in the headunit and that will be the AM antenna" ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts