My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my first long distance road trip in my 2017 Compass. About 100 miles into the trip it started a high pitched whistle. At first I thought it was something audio related as it almost seemed like some sort of warning alert. The whistling changes pitch randomly, almost like it's playing a tune. It's really quite strange. It seems to be coming from the front or engine compartment as it's louder when I roll down the window. It doesn't seem to be rpm or vacuum related as it doesn't do it if I'm sitting still and revving the engine. It starts the noise once I hit 40 mph or so. The vehicle only has about 4K miles on it. I've driven it at highway speeds many times without any noise. Anyone experience anything like this? An annoying whistling for 1000 miles wasn't much fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have cross bars on the roof, but those have been on for months with no whistling. I may need to take them off and see if it changes anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 compass. Bought is used. only 13 miles on it now. I have a whistling sound when I go above 30 MPH. It remains when windows are open closed. Same with sunroof open or closed, the whistling is constant. Anyone?

·
970 Posts
Is the sound coming from the body or from under the hood? If its under the hood it could be a vacuum leak. In my experience a vacuum leak holds a steady pitch and pretty much a steady volume.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same issue steveg1962 describes- a loud whistling sound that changed pitch randomly while driving over a certain speed. I removed the crossbars for the roof rack, and no more whistling since. As to why yours would suddenly start now, I don't know. Perhaps something on the roof rack has jarred loose and is interrupting the wind flow? At any rate, I will only reinstall the crossbars for when I need them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts