My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a antifreeze smell after shutting hot engine off ? Popped hood to see what type of oil it takes and the smell was there, coolant level was a bit low but not much, engine temps normal, it has 13 K miles on it, will keep a close eye on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes. Mine too. A lot of smell on warm days. coolant level was perfect, right on the line. there are no losses. Has 6k miles

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2018 Compass Latitude - same thing. When I park, especially inside my garage, I can smell coolant but have not detected any leaks or low coolant level.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone found the issue here. I just bought an 18 Latitude, 35k miles. And I'm getting the same antifreeze smell??‍♂

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody have a antifreeze smell after shutting hot engine off ? Popped hood to see what type of oil it takes and the smell was there, coolant level was a bit low but not much, engine temps normal, it has 13 K miles on it, will keep a close eye on it.
Same thing happened with me, similar mileage. I am going to throw some UV dye in there and see what happens.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It seems like no update on the issue. I've noticed this every now and then as well. Mostly when I park in the garage. I popped the hood and looked around, didn't see anything. I'm around 4k miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
nmarketti - Same smell when I park my 2018 Compass in the garage. No coolant/antifreeze leaks and level is fine. I assume "just letting out some gas" from the coolant recovery cap. One of those Jeep things!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Jeep compass trailhawk and I also smelled coolant constantly. I took it to the dealership multiple times. It turned out that my coolant reservoir tank had a crack.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2017+ Compass Sport. I smell coolant almost every time I raise my hood after I drive it. I have had my local Jeep dealer and my private mechanic check it out, and they both told me there is no coolant leak. "Nature of the Beast" I guess ??

·
Registered
14 Posts
It seems like no update on the issue. I've noticed this every now and then as well. Mostly when I park in the garage. I popped the hood and looked around, didn't see anything. I'm around 4k miles.
2017 Wrangler 3.6lt & 2020 Compass 2.4lt both smell of coolant after shutting off hot engine. No leaks & pressure tests ok. Live with it??

·
Registered
306 Posts
I notice the smell also right after driving the Jeep and the engine is fully warmed up. I believe it is just the coolant reservoir venting. See attached pic and red arrow pointing to the vent. This tank is high in the engine bay and the vent is right there . I have no leakage or dripping from the vent. All the other cars I had, the tank was low along the fender and they all had a vent tube that went down to the bottom of the engine bay. I have thought about adding a tube to the vent and running it lower in the engine bay and see if that helps.
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks. I may give the Vent hose a try, which would seem to be the old type Overflow hose.
I have used my hand to feel for liquid around the reservoir, but never found any. So it must be hot coolant gas/ air which causes the smell. Perhaps encase the reservoir in a plastic bag. lol!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same issue with my 2018 Limited. No cracks in the tank, pressure tests ok. Just put a new cap on tonight, will see how it does in the next few days. Noticed the OEM cap required little effort to remove.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On my 2020 Compass 2.4lt I ran a hose from the reservoir vent to below the engine near the side of the vehicle. Used cable ties. Smell now vents under and to the passenger side. Still some smell occassionly but not eminating from the engine bay. Must be Jeep because my 2017 3.6lt Wrangler Petro had a horrible coolant smell with the identical coolant reservoir.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts