My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to wake up this site. I noticed our newer version Compass has a 160 MPH speedometer. Kinda optimistic for our powerhouse of an engine. Anybody tried to see what our top speed is? Mine will easily do 80 MPH but that is as fast as I have gone so far. Disclaimer: Only try this if you are a professional driver on a closed course, wearing a helmet, seven point harness and have signed all the wavers.

Ok...I admit it. This Covid 19 stay at home thing is starting to drive me nuts. ;)

·
Registered
931 Posts
The 2.4 Compass is not capable of "pinning" the 160 MPH speedo. At best you can squawk out maybe 130, 135 at the very most in perfect conditions, and you need miles of runway to crawl from 95 to that 130 mark. In less than ideal conditions will max out around 120. I have seen one do 135 on youtube though so they throw in a little extra (160) just in case one of you yahoos goes nuts and turbocharges it or something like that :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 2.4 Compass is not capable of "pinning" the 160 MPH speedo. At best you can squawk out maybe 130, 135 at the very most in perfect conditions, and you need miles of runway to crawl from 95 to that 130 mark. In less than ideal conditions will max out around 120. I have seen one do 135 on youtube though so they throw in a little extra (160) just in case one of you yahoos goes nuts and turbocharges it or something like that :p
I made it. I was going downhill in hurricane force winds. It was downhill both ways which easily doubled the 80 mph I had been able to achieve before.

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
You won't go past 112mph its limiter is at that speed, even if it wasn't it wouldn't even get those to 130mph at all, maybe 120mph if that

·
Registered
931 Posts
^^ Maybe in Canada they are limited, there isn't any such limit set on the USA or European 2nd gen models but there is a setting (actually a couple) for it in AlfaOBD so its easily defeated even if it is programmed in. I checked my configuration with AlfaOBD and no limit appears to be set on my USA model. The limit is its own engine power and as youtube videos from the autobahn show the 2.4 can squeak this thing up to 135 MPH if you have enough road and tailwind but just over 120 is more realistic on an average day for a 2.4L 2nd gen.

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
Yes there is a speed limit set on USA models, AlfaOBD can't make speed limiter changes anyways because anything FCA 2015+ has a locked PCM and the speed limiter can't be changed unless the PCM is unlocked. I tune FCA vehicles with HP Tuners and unless you remove the speed limiter in HP tuners it's still there. AlfaOBD controls the BCM not the PCM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts