My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my 2018 Jeep Compass Limited 11/2017 and started to notice the side panels next to the windows on all 4 doors are starting to peel back and there is an obvious gap between the panel and the door itself. I brought it in to get it looked at and the guy at the service department said “Oh I’ve never seen this before.” So we ordered parts and made an appointment. After 3 days of being in the shop they returned the car to me. With only 1 panel fixed. What the heck? I call back and another service attendant picks up and tells me that is how the Compass was made. I drove back and checked another 2018 Jeep Compass similar in body style but different in color and it had the same issues too. Why would the manufacturers think that is ok? Why would they want the panels creeping up like that? What is the purpose of it?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well not constant heat or cold. I’m located in California, where the weather fluctuates with the season. Our highest high is around 110 degrees and our lowest low is maybe 27 degrees. I plan to visit other dealerships to take a look but I am not quit convinced that this is “normal”. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You made me look! I just ran out and looked at mine (built in 10/2017) and it looks ok... Flush with everything except at the very top, it sits out just a hair compared to the chrome trim strip... But no gaps. We're in Michigan, so the temps here fluctuate more than normal. But my Jeep was the showroom display for it's first several months, so it led a sheltered life until I bought it at the end of February. So I panicked and looked at my wife's. Hers was built last November, purchased the same day as mine. Hers are the same as mine, no gaps, BUT one is actually FLUSH with the upper chrome trim strip.
In essence, I would call ours at the least a design issue. Maybe they aren't supposed to be exactly flush. In fact, on mine, the top seems to be rounded over, kind of a transition to the upper trim. But yours looks to be an issue. (And now I'm nervous about summer coming. Lol)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love it when dealerships give you the "that's how it was designed to be" statement. I could understand if the whole panel wasn't sitting flush, but its odd that it only flexes near the top. Doesn't seem like Jeep paid too much attention to the fit and finish of the Comapss.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I love it when dealerships give you the "that's how it was designed to be" statement. I could understand if the whole panel wasn't sitting flush, but its odd that it only flexes near the top. Doesn't seem like Jeep paid too much attention to the fit and finish of the Comapss.
Not always the case. It's the new heavy production issue. How much adhesive is enough, how much large weather changes , car washes, and stuff have to happen. How soon after applying the adhesive do you need to avoid these changes in temps and so on. I ran into the same thing in my 2013 Ford Fusion. That model was only in production for about 4 months when I got it, I had ordered it so I got it pretty much straight off the truck. Within a month or so one of the panels had started to unstick after a couple really hot days. It's bad, not saying it isn't. But it's typical for a first year model off the line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
passenger tail light seems to stick out more than the driver side , just but a 1/4" but enough to notice after months after purchasing .
Any one else? or are we the lucky owners of a unique and collectible compass.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine has a very slight case of the b pillar trim issue on the rear doors. Not bad though and if I hadn’t seen this thread I probably wouldn’t have even noticed.

I also noticed that the spoiler isn’t flush with the roof on one side. It sits about 4mm lower. It is very solid so I guess fitted incorrectly rather than moving about. I checked photos I took when I picked the car up and it was the same then.

Will ask the dealer to look at both the doors and spoiler when it goes back in for the climate control to be sorted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No problems with mine to date, seals fit fine. Could it be that mine being RHD was made in India and you guys in the US get ones made in Mexico?

·
Registered
398 Posts
No problems with mine to date, seals fit fine. Could it be that mine being RHD was made in India and you guys in the US get ones made in Mexico?
Definitely, India the pinnacle of high quality car building.

Jokes aside,no both factories would use the exact same protocols for building, except for some differences in trim levels/equipment, etc. These issues are so rare compared to the number of cars sold that they are most likely manufacturing errors (like glue gun running low on glue).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts