My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have a '19 Limited, 15k miles, 7" uconnect display. The manual doesn't show the radio on/off/volume or tuning knobs for the 7" display that mine came with, only the 5". If I need to shut off the radio for a minute, I can hit the on/off/volume knob in the dash panel and it shuts off the audio, but it also shuts down the entire Uconnect display and I have no control over anything else, my iphone, maps, climate/settings, nothing. I'm aware of the 'screen off' button in the dash panel and the brightness knobs on the driver's side and they aren't the cause. If after I turn off the radio with the knob, I toggle my climate on and off using the panel buttons, it flashes the change on the screen where it should be in the controls across the bottom edge but then it goes off again. This is bad! I often want to drive with the radio off, especially if I have the windows open but I can't get to any of my other controls if it's off.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can definitely “mute” it but it doesn’t solve the question of why the radio on/off button shuts down the entire system... seems like bad code or poor QA testing to me...

or is that knob specifically Programmed for shutdown of the entire system?

·
1,039 Posts
Mine is the same. I don't think you have a "problem" with your system, the problem is with the system itself. FCA is just showing off their technology. Next thing we'll have controls for the sun visors on the touch screen. It's just because they can do it that they do do it. Pardon the pun on dew dew.

I think putting ANY vehicle controls on a touchscreen is a BIG MISTAKE and frankly should be forbidden by law. A touchscreen may be cute for the radio but its a driver distraction. Back in the 1980s I got a speeding ticket and on the back of the citation was a list of possible traffic offenses and one was having a screen in view of the driver. I had a friend who was high up in one of the tech companies and she got caught with her laptop (new concept at the time) on the front seat beside her. Now they're built into the dashboard!

Another question is why the touchscreen is so slow to respond. Not only is the touchscreen a distraction it takes several glances at the screen to know what's happening, i.e., did it respond to my touch. The sluggish response time compounds the distraction. These are computers people -- they should be responding in microseconds!

It is impossible to know where the climate controls are set at without the touchscreen. As you noted they (usually) come on the touchscreen if the manual controls are adjusted even while the screen is off, but I can't learn where they are set until I make a change -- only then can I find out where it is after the change.

I'm considering a letter to AAA to suggest they lobby against touchscreen controls. Maybe the NTSB. I'm just not sure I'm knowledgeable enough to articulate the problem. Whatever happened to Ralph Nader?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can definitely “mute” it but it doesn’t solve the question of why the radio on/off button shuts down the entire system... seems like bad code or poor QA testing to me...

or is that knob specifically Programmed for shutdown of the entire system?
I just checked our 2018 Latitude with 7" screen. Yes , the power button shuts off the radio and screen but my HVAC system stays on with the "auto" button lit. (I normally leave it in the "Auto" position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the power button is for the screen. I work for GM....they work sorta the same...press once to mute, hold to power off the screen. I'm sure other makes work similar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts