My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know how to build a DIY override for this feature. I created one for my Scion FR-S to override the traction control system. Pretty much the same method. Probably under $40 and a few minutes.

I'm thinking of building it again for our Compass, but I have been procrastinating. Shout if you are interested and I will get on it.

Google "frs traction override darrendriven" if you want more info.

·
Registered
190 Posts
FCA put the sticker on my driver's window saying it was there...but since I opted for the 6spd manual I don't have to deal with it. My 15 Cherokee Trailhawk had a dash button to turn it off and every time I started it, I did.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's such a pain in the butt and there's no way to permanently turn it off without something aftermarket and I'm steer away from messing with the electronics.

·
Registered
828 Posts
My only half-gripe with it is no ability to have it "off by default" when starting the thing up. I find most of the time I would rather have it stay running because it can be too eager to shut down right as I'm about to take off again creating an awkward off-and-instant-back-on that I feel makes me look odd to other people at the intersection. I am now in the habit of turning it off as soon as I start the car and its not very good placement for that button or its indicator light.

Like others I am anticipating someone will eventually put together a simple microcontroller with a plug-n-play harness that can toggle this feature off for us right away when we start the car, and then we can choose to re-enable it at some point during the drive if we want to. Shouldn't be a very difficult project, if nobody else gets around to it then I may give it a go at some point. I was kinda tempted to take apart the center console anyways to see about re-routing the rear USB into the armrest storage, could easily hijack off the power of that USB line to run a tiny chip that does the job.

I think the kicker might be whether or not it can be disabled before the engine is actually started... would have to test that, otherwise going to need to find some electrical indication of when the engine has actually started and THEN toggle the switch's circuit..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not a fan of this feature myself, neither is my wife who’s the primary driver. We’re in the habit of using the parking brake for every vehicle we own so we’ve started to become used to clicking the auto on/off assist off after hitting the parking brake button. At least it’s right next to the parking brake button so seeing it reminds us.

·
Registered
34 Posts
By adding this feature, which I agree, is a horrible feature, car companies receive credits from the Government. GM and Ford also feature start/stop technology. Unfortunately, this feature is included on the all new Grand Cherokee replacement which is slated for 2021.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's off on my 2015 Jeep Cherokee - :) either my battery is dying again or the sensors to the battery are bad is my guess - I get from time to time a message that the system is unavailable .. so GREAT :) no button to press to turn it off ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts