My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2020 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to this whole tech thing. I’m disabled and need some help. My auto stop start went out, I took it to get repaired, but it rarely if ever works now. I’m confused, my mechanic is confused. $1,700.00 later, new parts, and it only stops once per ride. Can anyone please offer me some advice?

· Registered
381 Posts
I little more detail on what is happening would help. And what your mechanic replaced.
You can shut the the start stop off by pushing the button on the left of your center counsel.
You can also eliminate the start stop. Some google searches will lead you to many videos that may help you.
Here is one for your to look at.

· Administrator
2,476 Posts
I'm not sure how they got to $1700 -- that seems steep but of course I don't know what they did.

As for shutting off the stop/start system, the underlying problem is still the battery(s). There are two: one is the typical service battery, but there is also an auxiliary battery just for the stop/start system. If the auxiliary battery is weak it drains the service battery and then you need to replace both.

Frankly the stop/start system is a waste of money. I doubt it even saves the fuel the government regulators think it does. Even one trip to the dealer to have the system serviced probably equalizes all the fuel you'd save over the lifetime of the vehicle. If you have to make two or three trips to the dealer, it is actually counterproductive. That's where I think we're at.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I little more detail on what is happening would help. And what your mechanic replaced.
You can shut the the start stop off by pushing the button on the left of your center counsel.
You can also eliminate the start stop. Some google searches will lead you to many videos that may help you.
Here is one for your to look at.
Thank you! They replaced two batteries, and reprogrammed it. Something about a federal emissions warranty. The stop start comes on once a trip, then just says “not ready” the rest of the time, without saying why. My mechanic is confused.

· Registered
381 Posts
Well if your mechanic is sayin this related to the federal emissions warranty than you should not have been charged for the service. I don't think you have an emission issue. It still starts (correct)??
even with the light on. My 2 cents. Have both your batteries load tested. Most auto parts store will do that for free. I would also have the alternator output checked. Clean up all the connections and give it another try. I wish you the best. Maybe Jeepcares will drop in and offer to help you. They monitor this site.

The Federal Emissions Warranty: If the vehicle fails an emissions test during the vehicle's first 2 years/24,000 miles (8 years/80,000 miles for specified major components), the manufacturer must make repairs or modifications necessary to allow the vehicle to pass. Specified major emission control components are covered for and include only the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. This applies even if there are no mechanical defects with the vehicle. It is different from the Design and Defect Warranty.
The requirement of the manufacturer to bring your vehicle into compliance excludes wreck damage and tampering. Also, anything with a specified replacement interval, such as filters, are covered only up to the first replacement interval. Afterwards, if a failure to pass an inspection is caused by a replacement part that is beyond its replacement interval, you are responsible for the repairs and possibly diagnostic charges to bring it into compliance.

DESIGN AND DEFECT WARRANTY
The Design and Defect warranty covers repair of emission control or emission related parts which fail to function or function improperly because of a defect in materials or workmanship during the vehicle's first 2 years/24,000 miles (8 years/80,000 miles for specified major components). The manufacturer can deny this warranty coverage if evidence shows that the emission component failure was caused by improper use or maintenance and not caused by a defect.

ELIGIBILITY FOR REPAIRS
You are eligible for repairs under the Federal Emissions Warranty provided that:
  • Your car or light-duty truck fails an approved emissions test;
  • Your vehicle is less than 2 years old and has less than 24,000 miles (up to 8 years/80,000 miles for specified major components);
  • Your state or local government requires that you repair the vehicle
  • The test failure does not result from misuse of the vehicle or a failure to follow the manufacturers' written maintenance instructions; and
  • You present the vehicle to a warranty-authorized manufacturer representative, along with evidence of the emission test failure, during the warranty period.

Reactions: StevenMStroud

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if your mechanic is sayin this related to the federal emissions warranty than you should not have been charged for the service. I don't think you have an emission issue. It still starts (correct)??
even with the light on. My 2 cents. Have both your batteries load tested. Most auto parts store will do that for free. I would also have the alternator output checked. Clean up all the connections and give it another try. I wish you the best. Maybe Jeepcares will drop in and offer to help you. They monitor this site.

The Federal Emissions Warranty: If the vehicle fails an emissions test during the vehicle's first 2 years/24,000 miles (8 years/80,000 miles for specified major components), the manufacturer must make repairs or modifications necessary to allow the vehicle to pass. Specified major emission control components are covered for and include only the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. This applies even if there are no mechanical defects with the vehicle. It is different from the Design and Defect Warranty.
The requirement of the manufacturer to bring your vehicle into compliance excludes wreck damage and tampering. Also, anything with a specified replacement interval, such as filters, are covered only up to the first replacement interval. Afterwards, if a failure to pass an inspection is caused by a replacement part that is beyond its replacement interval, you are responsible for the repairs and possibly diagnostic charges to bring it into compliance.

DESIGN AND DEFECT WARRANTY
The Design and Defect warranty covers repair of emission control or emission related parts which fail to function or function improperly because of a defect in materials or workmanship during the vehicle's first 2 years/24,000 miles (8 years/80,000 miles for specified major components). The manufacturer can deny this warranty coverage if evidence shows that the emission component failure was caused by improper use or maintenance and not caused by a defect.

ELIGIBILITY FOR REPAIRS
You are eligible for repairs under the Federal Emissions Warranty provided that:
  • Your car or light-duty truck fails an approved emissions test;
  • Your vehicle is less than 2 years old and has less than 24,000 miles (up to 8 years/80,000 miles for specified major components);
  • Your state or local government requires that you repair the vehicle
  • The test failure does not result from misuse of the vehicle or a failure to follow the manufacturers' written maintenance instructions; and
  • You present the vehicle to a warranty-authorized manufacturer representative, along with evidence of the emission test failure, during the warranty period.
I can be reimbursed by Mopar for the warranty. I took it back to the mechanics again, and they said there shows nothing wrong with the system. Nonetheless, all the auto start stop does now is activate once per trip. When I look at the screen after it properly activates once , the screen simply reads “Auto Stop Start Not Ready”. They changed out both batteries, and the sensor, they put an Interstate battery in instead of a Jeep battery, if that makes any difference, then they had to reprogram the computer so it will start and run. I’m out $1,700.00 plus dollars on this, and it simply won’t work. I know a lot of people don’t like the auto start stop system, but I do. So, I’m baffled, my mechanic is baffled…. Could the fact they replaced the Jeep Battery with an interstate battery make a difference? I don’t know. I just know I’m extremely frustrated. Everyone helping on this site is wonderful, and I appreciate all of the assistance I’m being given. If anyone has other ideas, please respond and let me know. Thank goodness I’m bald already or I would have pulled alll of my hair out by now!

· Administrator
2,476 Posts
Yours is a 2020. Aren't you still under warranty? The dealer should fix it free of charge. No, I doubt the brand of battery would affect the stop/start system. If your dealer is giving you static, reach out to @JeepCares on this site. They may be able to intercede.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yours is a 2020. Aren't you still under warranty? The dealer should fix it free of charge. No, I doubt the brand of battery would affect the stop/start system. If your dealer is giving you static, reach out to @JeepCares on this site. They may be able to intercede.
Thank you. I’m a second owner, there is 52 K miles on it. But I can get a refund from Mopar is what the mechanic told me. I will reach out to Jeep cares. I spent over an hour with mechanics this morning, and they are absolutely puzzled. They are going to try putting a Jeep battery in it tomorrow, if that fails, the mechanic is going to get a Jeep Dealership involved, and see what they can figure out. It’s still doing the same thing: the auto start stop works once per trip, if that. I’m thinking this is either a new faulty part, or new faulty programming, or loose equipment…. Heck, I don’t know. I appreciate all of the answers I’m getting. I’ve hope this will somehow work out.

· Registered
381 Posts
As long as the battery is specified for use in stop start application any battery manufacture will work.
For your Compass the Interstate battery that should have been installed is model MTX-47/H5 Main Battery
And if they installed a Interstate for the AUX battery that number should have been MTX-AUX14 .
I replaced both my batteries a couple years ago and used NAPA brand and have had no issues even in these Wisconsin winters. My vehicle is outside 24/7
Good luck it sounds like you have a good plan going forward.

Reactions: Nev

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As long as the battery is specified for use in stop start application any battery manufacture will work.
For your Compass the Interstate battery that should have been installed is model MTX-47/H5 Main Battery
And if they installed a Interstate for the AUX battery that number should have been MTX-AUX14 .
I replaced both my batteries a couple years ago and used NAPA brand and have had no issues even in these Wisconsin winters. My vehicle is outside 24/7
Good luck it sounds like you have a good plan going forward.
Great News. My mechanic installed a Mopar battery, and the auto start stop began working! I’m not sure what model of interstate battery he installed, but when he installed the same type of battery it came with off showroom floor, it began working correctly. I hope my experience may help others, and thank you to all of you in this forum who offered advice!
Best!
Steven

· Registered
452 Posts
Great News. My mechanic installed a Mopar battery, and the auto start stop began working! I’m not sure what model of interstate battery he installed, but when he installed the same type of battery it came with off showroom floor, it began working correctly. I hope my experience may help others, and thank you to all of you in this forum who offered advice!
Best!
Steven
Which battery was replaced with a MOPAR, main or Aux? I replaced both my 5 year old OEM batteries with AC Delco AGM batteries 2 months ago with no issues. I also don't use the Auto Start/Stop feature either.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Which battery was replaced with a MOPAR, main or Aux? I replaced both my 5 year old OEM batteries with AC Delco AGM batteries 2 months ago with no issues. I also don't use the Auto Start/Stop feature either.
The main battery was replaced. It is quite possible that the mechanic used the wrong interstate battery to begin with. I don’t know. I do know that once he traded the battery out for a stock Mopar, that the system began working. He was baffled. I’m not a tech nor mechanically savvy person, I rely upon the expertise of others. I thought it odd as well, but nonetheless, switching out the main battery worked.

· Registered
381 Posts
Happy to hear your issue was resolved.
Here is some good reading for a better understanding on making sure you select the correct battery when the time comes for replacing.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Happy to hear your issue was resolved.
Here is some good reading for a better understanding on making sure you select the correct battery when the time comes for replacing.
Thank you so much for the article. I would have assumed my mechanic knew this, given they work on a wide array of modern vehicles, and he stated he had worked on auto start stop systems before. I also had watched the battery gauge to see what it was doing, and with the first battery he put in, the charge was fluctuating wildly. With the stock or AGM battery the charge stayed relatively constant. This is great for me to know, because I intend on keeping the Jeep. I rather like it and it’s my favorite out of all cars I’ve owned.
All of you on this forum are wonderful, and I want to thank all of you for the assistance.

· Administrator
2,476 Posts
Thank you so much for the article. I would have assumed my mechanic knew this, given they work on a wide array of modern vehicles, and he stated he had worked on auto start stop systems before. I also had watched the battery gauge to see what it was doing, and with the first battery he put in, the charge was fluctuating wildly. With the stock or AGM battery the charge stayed relatively constant. This is great for me to know, because I intend on keeping the Jeep. I rather like it and it’s my favorite out of all cars I’ve owned.
All of you on this forum are wonderful, and I want to thank all of you for the assistance.
Thank you for your kind words. Like you, we're just a bunch of Compass owners helping each other. It's nice to know the site is working for you, and I trust many others.

It may have been a defective battery, even if it was new. Mistakes happen even among reputable brands.

The only problem with local mechanics is that they know something about every brand, but they can't know everything about a particular brand. A dealership has to know everything about one brand and they work on that one brand all day long. If one vehicle has a problem, chances are that mechanic will see it again so he'll be prepared next time he sees it. Larger dealerships may have one mechanic who specializes in Compass brakes, another in Patriot electronics, another who specializes in Wrangler HVAC, etc.

I will use a local mechanic for mechanical things, but electronics in particular can be proprietary and manufacturers keep their tricks pretty close to the vest. A local mechanic doesn't see the TSBs and star case memos that a dealer sees.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts